• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spray painting

paint ideas

• spray paint it save the cash

Votes: 78 72.9%
  • pay for a shinny paint job and forget the danna 44 i need

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • leave it how it is, a penny saved is a penny earned

Votes: 25 23.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the rattle can liner looks good, first time ive actually see it look decent. my neighbor tried it in his , it turned out pretty nasty but the herculiner worked alot better. Im going the durabak route after christmas, 2 gallons 95 bucks a peice, hunter green ext, grey for interior and trim. i hope it turns out pretty good. my old cj i just sanded down, filled in with bondo (although i utterly dispise the stuff) sanded again and painted with rus-o-leum best stuff on earth if ya ask me

Rev Den said:
Scuff, wipe, BRUSH......Rust-O-Leum

Done.

Rev

Ya buddy!

Brushed is the key. Nice and thick. Cheaper than rattle can. I suggest farm stores for the cool colors. Oliver tractor green is attractive.

Ive tried cheep bed liner, hirculine, but its really too rough, can cut your arms up and stuff. It also attracks dust quickly and in arizona it gets dry and dulled in only afew months...

Ive done rattel can... and man at $2.37 a can its too pricy and crappy spray pattern for my liking. (krylon touch italian olive color. wallmart)

What i did and like, is oil based paint. I bought Rust stop (ace brand rustolium) oil based paint. $22 for a gallon. I used only 1/4 of the gallon to paint the cherokee, sanded with 320, no need for primer but get it clean. Sprays thick and easy. I used a Cheepie Harbor freight HVLP sprayer, I cut the paint 2:1 with Paint thinner, (NOT Reducer). Ran about 50-60 psi at my tank out to my gun. It sprays on kinda splattery but then it oozes into a nice smooth sheet. Its only been a month or so but its really nice. color matched to the krylon paint but got gloss not satin, easier to clean.
It also has alot less over spray then enamel sprayed wiht the same kinda gun, no green ring in my driveway, and I painted it on a windy day!!!

I expect it to last about a year. but for $22 you could re-paint it for 4 years!!!
download.php

O'rielly auto parts,autozone, and of course Walmart

I agree with bedlining it. I am going to have mine sprayed with bedliner in the near future. Havent decided yet, but one of my buddies has used herculiner and likes it allot. You just have to prep it right, otherwise it will chip off. Ive also heard allot of good things about durabak. But definately spend your money on a bedline job, itll last allot longer, and you get better protection out of it as well.

cool. Keepem comming... giving me ideas :spin3:

There is a company called RattleGuard, they are a bedliner company. My friend sprayed his whole CJ for $100 and its really really clean and durable. I think you can still look them up on ebay or the rattleguard website. All you need is a compressor and spray gun.

Everything turned out so well we have all our friends paying $200+ for us to spray in a bedliner for them.

thanks, gimme 300 and some beer and I'll take care of anyones if they ever in NY(and I get the time off work/school)

only spot i messed up on is underneath the mirror on drivers side, it wetsanded out and u can't even tell it's there. :D

Well after looking through all the pics on here and Pirate, I think I am going with Kabota Orange. I plan on doing it next weekend. I will post the before and after pics in this topic when she's all done. Lots of good looking rattle can rigs for sure, hopefully mine will be one as well.

Is that blue one rattle can? If so what kind and color?

That kubbota orange does look kinda nice, very noticable for shure. That and safety yellow. Seems like bright colors like that fade fast though.

To cold to paint here for another few months at least.

When we painted we did it in my buddys one car garage one side at a time and it was cold here. I bought one of those $99 Kerosene heaters and heated the garage before during and after painting. That heater works awesome. before we used a space heater and a radiant heater and they sucked unles you stood directly in front of it. So if your gonna get a heater get that Kerosene one or the propane. It was 40 outside and 80 in the garage and cured the paint and bedliner perfectly.

I rattled my first xj.It looked like sh#$ because I was only 17 at the time and more interested in chasing girls(some things never change) than taking my time and doing it right.I will say this ,the more careful you are and the more time you put in, the better the finish.DO you guys think a gallon of durabak will do my whole xj?

Depending on how thick you want it to be, you will have do decide by that. In my case, I would probably get 2 gallons just to be on the safe side.

CUxj88...
could you give some details on that paintjob, it looks great to me.
what kind of prep did you do?
what kind of paint?
did you spray it out of a can or a gun?
did you do anything to it after you sprayed it?
wet sand, clear coat, buff, wax, ect?

thanks,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back