• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

♣ Spicer 760x Joints

There is no way to get the bigger joints with the two piece disconnect shafts, you must convert to one piece shafts. Most 4x4 vendors that sell axle parts carry the Spicer shafts for the 297x/760x joints, you just call them up and buy them. No need to scrounge the wrecking yards. These shafts are used in YJ's, TJ's ZJ's, WJ's as well as XJ's so they are readily available.

There is no point in installing any new shafts without using snap rings rather then the normal C-clips on the u-joints. On stock shafts it requires clearancing the inside of the yokes for the snap rings (full circle clips) but it's easy to do and can be done with a 4" grinder at home. A snap ringed 760x joint is stronger than the ears of a stock Spicer shaft, so you'll rip the ears on the shaft before the joint breaks. This is why it's a very good upgrade to buy chromo shafts and then use the 760x joints, and all aftermarket chromo shafts come already clearanced for the snap rings. Chromo shafts and 760x joints are hard to break with 33" tires, though anything can break, with 35's it gets more likely but if you're careful it can still be fairly durable depending on how many hard trails you run. You can break chromo shafts on hard trails with 35's, it all depends on what you run and how you drive, and luck.

Warn sells (at least, they did) a kit to convert to one piece shafts if you buy their shafts, it comes with the right seal and a plate to block off the disconnect housing. Years ago when I did mine, I used their kit.

Why not call National Drivetrain and get their opinion. Eric knows the answer. I just upped to 5-760s, and what he told me was right on! They are a company that knows their stuff and stands behind it.

Back