• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedometer?

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched...I just want to be sure about this.

Have a 1998 XJ 4.0L auto. Had a check engine light and the code was for the 'speed sensor' so naturally since the speedometer wasn;t working we changed the one on the t-case with another used one. Still threw the code and the speedo still doesn;t work.

I just today swapped in another guage pod and that didn;t solve it so it;s not the speedo itself in the pod.

Figured out the tranny speed sensor was bad so replaced it and no code BUT the speedo still doesn;t work.

The gear on the VSS looks fine...should I go ahead and replace the VSS itself? Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks.

I had a bad VSS on my XJ when I bought it; the speedometer needle would indicate 0mph on the freeway and Mach 3 in school zones. It wasn't the gear assembly that was finally replaced but the vehicle-side of that connector that had failed. Sounds kinda like your issue.

Well...I replaced the sensor itself. So far the check engine light is not on (it was before replacing it) BUT still no speedo, trip, or odo. I can;t see any damage on the gear so I'm guessing that's not it.

Anyone else got any ideas before I have to spend a fortune to get it fixed?

locate the two wires going into the computer from the senson on the t case. unplug the comp harness. jack up both rear wheels and with a multimeter run a impedance test on the two pins going into the computer. spin the tires and you should get a pulsed beep from the meter showing the vss gear is mounted correctly and the wires are good.

Check and make sure the worm gear is moving inside the t-case. Jack jeep up and remove sensor and gear roll tires to see.

Back