• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spartan vs lock right

got about 1.5 years now with a Spartan in my front axle...great road manners, great quality and very easy to install. Does exactly what I want it to do

I got steered away from spartan BAD when my buddy had a stick shift wrangler on AT 31's on street pressure with a dana 35 rear spartan combo and he was gettin a little aggressive trying to climb an obstacle and it literally exploded into 8 pieces. Not just that but it seemed like every turn he made it wanted to buck and jump and I though his shit was gonna explode in the middle of the street! Bottom line is the spartan locked grenaded before a Dana 35 axle... I would never buy a spartan

I just bought an Aussie for my Dana 44 Saturday from here for 270 shipped

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/aussie-locker-dana-44-30-spline.html

I got steered away from spartan BAD when my buddy had a stick shift wrangler on AT 31's on street pressure with a dana 35 rear spartan combo and he was gettin a little aggressive trying to climb an obstacle and it literally exploded into 8 pieces. Not just that but it seemed like every turn he made it wanted to buck and jump and I though his shit was gonna explode in the middle of the street! Bottom line is the spartan locked grenaded before a Dana 35 axle... I would never buy a spartan

I just bought an Aussie for my Dana 44 Saturday from here for 270 shipped

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/aussie-locker-dana-44-30-spline.html
your an idiot

I have a Spartan in my rear 44, and a lock-right in my front 44, The spartan is quiet, and almost not noticeable other then traction when on/off road, I love it. The Lock-right works well, I have had no issues and got a screaming deal on it, but it pops and bangs a lot more then my spartan, but both work and its really a toss up. I like how the pins are bigger, and the ease of install of the spartan, but if I where to do it again I would just buy what ever is cheaper at the time. The spartan gets my vote if the price is the same.

I DON'T know if this is true but would love it if someone could clear it up for me. I have heard that Aussie Had some production issues and used a softer metal for a period of time which has caused some issues. Could be a rumor or total BS, just curious if anyone knows or not?

Guess that makes you a tool then because my answer differed from yours so you get butt hurt. I saw what I saw with my own 2 eyes... The spartan was junk from day 1

Locked Dana 35 = idiot. Your review is null and void

I have a Spartan in my rear 44, and a lock-right in my front 44, The spartan is quiet, and almost not noticeable other then traction when on/off road, I love it. The Lock-right works well, I have had no issues and got a screaming deal on it, but it pops and bangs a lot more then my spartan, but both work and its really a toss up. I like how the pins are bigger, and the ease of install of the spartan, but if I where to do it again I would just buy what ever is cheaper at the time. The spartan gets my vote if the price is the same.

I DON'T know if this is true but would love it if someone could clear it up for me. I have heard that Aussie Had some production issues and used a softer metal for a period of time which has caused some issues. Could be a rumor or total BS, just curious if anyone knows or not?

When I called about the D30 locker in november they told me something about having trouble getting the precious austrailian kangaroo metal or something, and said they would be back in stock december. That was over a month ago and still nothing is available, so sounds plausable.

Well... Looks like I'm running a lock right afterall... The place I ordered my Aussie from said the Dana 44's are about 6 weeks on back order, with the lock right being generally the same, I paid the difference and picked up a lock right.

Well... Looks like I'm running a lock right afterall... The place I ordered my Aussie from said the Dana 44's are about 6 weeks on back order, with the lock right being generally the same, I paid the difference and picked up a lock right.
its not just the spartan that does that. my aussie locked 5 speed does that same thing if i dont push the clutch in going around corners, or if i dont feather the throttle just right in corners. but this is just like changing streets, and 90* parking lot turns. its a common characteristic of the lunchbox lockers with a 5 speed. It even warns you about this in the instructions.

its not just the spartan that does that. my aussie locked 5 speed does that same thing if i dont push the clutch in going around corners, or if i dont feather the throttle just right in corners. but this is just like changing streets, and 90* parking lot turns. its a common characteristic of the lunchbox lockers with a 5 speed. It even warns you about this in the instructions.

Thanks for the info instead of saying something uncalled for.

Ive rolled my Lock-righted 35 for 4 years (on 31's then 285's) the stock non-Hardend cross shaft wore down and had Big flat spots on it so it turned its self into a Open diff.Waiting on a new Hardend shaft with correct 1/4 inch roll pin hole.

Last edited:
Wheeled hard for 3 years with 35's on my Aussie... No problems.

Spartan comes with the hardened cross shaft.
Spartan is heat treated in the USA now.
Spartan is by far easier to install over all other inserts.
Spartans are not owned by a out of country company that can take weeks to get warranty replacement or parts for. They are in Washington.
Spartan is typically less expensive.

All other insert lockers, recommend a hardend cross shaft that cost extra, if you find one.

As for machining issues, that was a very isolated batch and some time ago. Nothing but high quality fit and finish now, and have been for some time.

Just installed Spartan lockers in my 30/44 combo. Taking it out soon to test it out will let ya know. From the test drive so far the spartan does have some noise in the rear on turns which is expected.

SOOOOOOO easy to instal i didn't even look at the directions and it was my first time installing a locker. Love the ease of install.

Where did you guys get your Spartan? I've ready thru so many 'locker' threads I can't remember which/where to go to order for my '01 XJ, 8.25, 29 spline rear.

Thanks...

Back