• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

somewhat dissapointed in these businesses

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
A while ago my front axle got pretty f'ed up. front ring and pinion destroyed, carrier broke in half, and one of the lower conrol arm mounts was almost ripped off. So i bought a new Yukon ring and pinion online along with a Yukon master install kit (4.88's) had to have it installed. brought the axle and gears down to allstate driveshaft in yucca valley. he charged $275 for labor and $60 for a new carrier. no warranty which i wasnt really expecting but whatever. so not that big of a deal but i think that the price was a little too high especially for bringing the axle out of vehicle.

I was recomended by many people to use ace alternator/starters or whatever else they do to do the lower control arm mounts. i wanted them to grind off the old mounts and weld on new "heavy duty" mounts. doesnt seem like too big of a deal right?
I told him i needed it done at least by thursday(needed the axle for a run that weekend starting friday, ok no problem, called multiple times a day, still no progress. i call on thursday, no progress he went home already, call on friday, he was working on it and was almost done, so that night i pick it up and they charged me $190 Holy SH!T! mounts: maaaaybe 40 bucks. so probably about 150 in labor for something that at most took 30 minutes... so i pay it cause i have no choice, its already late and i need to get this axle in so i can drive 6 hours to go wheel.

later i look at the welds and see this...
axlemounts2-1.jpg

axlemounts-1.jpg

i dont even think he ground the original mounts all the way down to the axle. they are not even on straight and the weld quality is absolutely horrible.

maybe im just being a whiney b!tch but this seems absolutely rediculous to me. paying that much for some of the worst quality fabrication i have ever seen especially for someone that claims to do "professional custom fabrication"

im never paying anyone to do anything agian. i need a welder...

-Shomsky

Last edited:
It's hard to find places that do good work in Yucca. I agree with getting a welder, even if the welds are poor quality at first at least they'll be your screwups ;) (That's what I tell myself anyway!)

Holy crap, I would've just bought a D30 housing off someone and swapped parts or just bought a whole D30 assembly out of the junkyard, would be cheaper than the $190 alone that guy charged you to fix the LCA mount. If I have to have someone fabricate something, I tell a friend to do it.

Did you not get a price quote from the guy before the welding?

That price for a gear install sounds like a steal, in or out of the Jeep.

i can weld fairly well, i just dont hant have the money for a welder, the space etc... but that and a bender/notcher is on the list when i get back from deployment.

it seriously looks like it was the first time this guy has ever stick welded or something...

Did you not get a price quote from the guy before the welding?

That price for a gear install sounds like a steal, in or out of the Jeep.

a steal? last time i had it geared it cost 150 with axle out of vehicle and that was in the bay area.

and no he didnt give me a quote. if i would have known it was going to be that much i would have just got a new housing...

$275b is not a bad price compared to what shops in my area charge. Anyone who has a shop has overhead to cover and it can take 6 hours to set up gears if it is done right. I think you did get bent on the welding though.

That weld is absolutely horrible. A bad LOOKING weld can be strong, too, but that weld clearly isn't even in the right spot on the left side of the picture. It looks like Ray Charles took a stab at it!

If you want it redone, bring it over and I can hit it for free man. The weld might not look much better, but I can guarantee it will at least be in the right spot LOL! :)

haha thanks man but im pretty set on goin the toyota on tons route here somewhat soon. so im not gonna be doing much to the jeep at all. gonna spend most of my time collecting shit for the build. thanks though!

a steal? last time i had it geared it cost 150 with axle out of vehicle and that was in the bay area.

and no he didnt give me a quote. if i would have known it was going to be that much i would have just got a new housing...

I've called shops for quotes and usually get a price of around $600 per axle. I've gotten gearing done for less than 275 before but usually its a friend kind of deal.

plenty of the guys on here do gears, enough that we have just about all of socal covered. if you are willing to drive a little bit post up and someone will chime in. keep it in the family :D

I've called shops for quotes and usually get a price of around $600 per axle. I've gotten gearing done for less than 275 before but usually its a friend kind of deal.

good gawd. Never paid more than $200-250 per. At $600, I think I would rather learn how to do them myself at that point

good gawd. Never paid more than $200-250 per. At $600, I think I would rather learn how to do them myself at that point

Yep. I never paid those prices... found used, geared axles instead.

Back