• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Somebodies cruel joke?

LOL I am with Terry on this one... I have tried to get those things loose 'once' -on an exposed block. If someone slacked yours up, on the commando, with the motor & all it's friends in place... I'll hire her.

I have had plenty of bad mechanical Mojo... Death Wobble did most of it, but I'll take credit for some. That I am still here to tell it is amazing. I can sum up 99% of my bad ones with a simple cure: Loctite or nylock nuts, a torque wrench and/or safety wire

Those motor mount bolts are hard...On a salvage block, I snapped one clean off with a strong bit, and a cheated Snap-on pullbar. If they all loosened some together, or 2 do leaving 1 under stress... I can see em all popping like that under torque.

RichP said:
We had some neighborhood kids thought that taking all 5 lugs off my sons Tj would be a good 'joke', the DS rear wheel came off on my daughter 3 miles down the road while she was running for pizza. If it had happened a 100ft futher on she would have hit a bridge abutment. She took his TJ because it was not blocked in by the others in the driveway. Turns out that they did several other cars in the development that nite and over the next week or so..

same thing happened to a friend of mine but on all 4 wheels she was doing 35 when the entire car was shaking out of control about 3 seconds away from a gas station around a turn she went... 2 wheels came off she ended up driving on the brakes then sending the car spinning knocking the other 2 wheels off she went into the gaurdrail at about 20 miles per hour so minimal damage but still stupid for someone to do it. say she was on a busy road or worse a highway. she wouldnt be the only one hurt. what happened to kids stealing the valve caps or hubcaps or antennas all the harmless stuff

never tried it but i have heard of people welding up the end of the bolt enought to get a pair of vice grips on it and then backing it out sounds easier than drilling out all of them. (if it works)

i recently bought a kee with broken motor mounts. just took a cutoff wheel on a dremel, and made a small slice in them, and used a screwdriver to back them out. hardest part was just the room needed to get the stubby in there

Sarge said:
Thread locker wont stop the bolts from breaking which is what happened if he found part of the bolts in the motor mount.

Sarge

actually, thread lock does help prevent bolt breakage.

Many times what happens is that the bolts back out slightly and then the additional sheer force caused by the loose mount moving around causes the bolt to break from fatigue.
Of couse one must assume the bolts are in good shape. An internally defective bolt (air pocket) or under rated bolt are going to break eventually.

when mine broke i exxon valdised all over the freeway. the frame rail poked a hole in the oil filter.

I had the same thing happen in my 95, on the passenger side. Two sheared bolts and one MIA. Someone here recommended welding a blob of metal to the sheared bolts, and using some visegrips to pull them out. Worked like a charm! :paperwork

You guys rock...and so does the search function (saves from unnecessary, redundant topics. …and ruthless flaming. ;))

I just toasted my passenger side bolts today. Surprised the hell out of me. I was driving up Rampart range to do some shooting... and POP. The fan made contact with the passenger rail, but not bad. Got the thing home after making a cradle out of a tow strap, and found that all three bolts had been sheered right off. One looked like they had been gone for a little while, and the other was recient. The third took some of the block with it. It was probaly the last to go. Broken blocks FN suck. Pulled both mounts, lowered the engine... no room to drill... raised the engine... no room to drill. Talk about THE WORST place to break a bolt... or three. I'm going to try, as suggested, to put a hug booger of weld on the broken bolts, and see I can get them out that way. Thanks for that suggestion. I was getting just a little frustrated.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the missing portion of block, I could really use some help. The piece missing really looks like a thick washer. It’s about a 3/16” thick, and about the size of a quarter. I only found half though. Any suggestions?

Hey 4squirrels,
They do suck, the same exact thing happened to me except the missing block part, right now I'm gonna pull the motor out with a cherry picker and have at it with the bolts, I don't think wielding a peice a metal to the remaining studs is gonna work because they all busted like an 1/8 of an inch inside the block I might try the dremal tool deal but if that doesn't work then I have to drill a hole and try to use an easy out to pull the suckers out and beleive me I've had bad experiances with them before and it sucks because when ethier the drill bit or easy outs bust its a biatch to remove. Any other suggestions is greatly welcomed at this point.

Back