• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

solid dif covers...fluid level check

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I have solid covers on my d30 and cryco 8.25 and when I first installed the cov ers I added lube untill it was up to the bottom of the hole just like you would on stock covers.A few months later I noticed my driver side axle seal is leaking.Related???Did I over fill?
Where should the level be....at the bottom of the hole or should you add however much the capacity chart calls for and is there any risk of blowing axle seals by over filling due to the solid covers hole being higher than a stock cover??This question has probably been covered before so dont Hasta me too hard

the plug hole is raised way above where it was before, so don't fill it to the plug. you can see that its way above your axle seals, and you'll just leak out fluid until it reaches a happy level. i just shoved something down the plug hole as i was filling and pulled it back out to see how for down the level was, like a dipstick if you will.

I drilled an 1/8"NPT plug at the correct level on all of my Solid covers.

I drilled an 1/8"NPT plug at the correct level on all of my Solid covers.

You clever little @#^&. Food for thought. I have to put that in the store room right where I will see it every time I open the door.

A few months later I noticed my driver side axle seal is leaking.Related???Did I over fill?

You may have overfilled the axle but the seals, on your D30, still should not leak. If overfilling is really the cause of the leak, then why does it leak on one side only?
Might be time to pull it apart and change the seals. Do both at the same time.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm

Are your vent lines plugged?

Check this ^ before you tear your axle apart to change seals. If the vent line is pluggted it will force oil out the seals

1/2" above the bottom of the axle tube.

Back