• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

soldering tips

Rev Den said:
X2, the real good ones do not require tinning, they will be well noted in the instructions. I was assuming the the mentinoned iron was a less expensive unit, as if it was the "top-of-the-line" he would not be asking about tinning.

But you never know....

Rev
it is, Cost me whopping 24 dollas for the iron and solder

<grin> Some friends of mine located rheostat controlled irons for...... $7.50 each, complete with holders.

I want to thank EVERYONE for their input here. I cut my soldering time in half by doing what y'all said. from about 1 hour on the radio side harness, to just over 30 minutes for the jeep side harness. ALSO, by soldering looks alot better. Thanks fellas!

ChiXJeff said:
You can do that on the cheap soldering irons. I've been told that on the new good irons there's a thin coating that is relatively hard with soft alloy under it. If you get through the coating, the tip will start to erode quickly.
This is the cheap iron I keep in the truck for harness work. I'd never think about that on my nice rhestat weller:shocked:
I also assumed that if he needed it tin that it was a cheaper iron.

Back