• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so which xj has the longest stock driveshaft?

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
I put a sye In and need a temp driveshaft. Which junkyard driveshaft would be the longest for my xj lifted 6". we got a lot of xjs various years

With the SYE in, I am pretty sure you can't use an XJ drive shaft.

I think you need one of the telescoping kind, so the slip is in the driveshaft instead of the T-case yoke.

But, maybe someone that knows for sure will reply.

Last edited:
I use a front driveshaft from an auto XJ... that should be the longest stock shaft you can use.

of course you could search and find exactly what your looking for from past posts. but I'm pretty sure thats it.

Someone posted a link to a site showing stock front shaft lengths in a thread here. I stumbled across it while doing similar research. Using the advanced search feature, search for "driveshaft" in thread titles only. You will find it I'm sure.

ZJ had the longest that I came across.

2x on what Love2Ride450 said. I have been down the "my stock driveshaft isn't long enough" route before. Funny thing about throwing a d44 up front is that you now need a shorter front driveshaft.

not trying to hijack! but I have 3 front ds from xj's and they all are the same. same part # same length they are exactly the same! so where is this (only from a auto with a 242) comming from ?

and only one is from a auto with 242:cool:

Love2Ride450 said:
Here ya go.
http://www.crownautomotive.net/catal...r_shafts2.html

Imagine that, it took me 9 minutes to find that. You have been waiting for an answer for at least an hour. I don't mean to come across as condescending, but it is much faster to search than ask and wait for someone with an answer. If you search for an hour, and don't find a good answer, then, ask. We are all willing to help if we can.

bad link

You can often find something at the bone yards that will drop in.
Also don't just look under XJ to. The U joints used on the XJ are a some what common size and a mix and matching of drive shaft parts will often get you just what you need. This can be a real help if you have an odd-ball dif. or tcase.

There is a certain GC (ZJ) shaft that is about an inch (some are more) longer than the longest XJ shaft....

bcredxj - no one ever said it has to come from one with a 242.

you are looking for one from an 89-01 XJ w/ AW4 - doesnt matter which TC it has, both are the same...

Part # is 53005542

I know when I got mine, it still had the sticker with the part number on it.

I run a ZJ 6cyl front shaft in the rear of my XJ. I have 4.0/AW4/Rubicon 241, 14 bolt. I have RE 5.5 springs and the axle is back 1" on the spring perches. Stock shaft fits perfect with the addition of a conversion u-joint.

okay so i found that magical driveshaft the part # 53005542 but one of the bolts holding it to the t-case is stripped to hell. any idea's on getting this off? the strap holding the u-joint in place looks cast so i doubt i could bend it with a pry bar so how can i get this driveshaft out today i want it asap

cut a slot in the bolt and use a screwdriver.

this is at my junkyard, one of the bolts holding the CV joint to the front output of the t-case. there are a total of 4 bolts and i got 3 but one is stripped down to roundness. its a tight area with not much space for a drill or anything, any ideas?

here's a pic of my t-case with an example of where the bolt is and how much room i got. keep in mind the one at the junkyard is mated to a tranny/crossmember and stripped to hell.

img0424ji5.jpg

Last edited:
any power tools available there?
cold chisel and a BFH?
torch (oxy/ace that is)?
hacksaw?
big enough gap to fit some good sized bolt cutters?

worst case scenario if your just breaking the bolt/u-joint strap bend tha shiat out of it till you can get the u-joint out and buy new ones anyway at NAPA. handy to have anyway.

read before you shouldn't re-use those bolts/straps anyway...plus, good excuse to upgrade to the u-bolt style....

Again - can you get a dremel in there with a small wheel to cut a slot in the bolt? What about a set of vise grips?

i might be able to fit a dremel but even then if i make a slit i wont be able to fit a screwdriver in there. no torches allowed at my junkyard. ive tried vice grips and i dont mind breaking the u joints just im unable to in this predicerment

Back