• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So how much can you flex?

The reason that Jeep has that much droop is because there are no shocks on the front!! HELLO!!

As said above, take a look through the scratch and dent pic's. Hans, mine, and many others all have short arms and flex much like that (only we have front shocks on and adjusted for the wheel travel.

Michael

HELLO...look at the first pic i posted. i looked at all the pics on there and the only rigs coming close have long arms. im not trying to hate on everyone with short arms but you cant say that there is no point to running long arms, they are far superior

Last edited:
HELLO...look at the first pic i posted. i looked at all the pics on there and the only rigs coming close have long arms. im not trying to hate on everyone with short arms but you cant say that there is no point to running long arms, they are far superior

"far superior"??? Can't agree there. In the few situations I've witnessed where a huge amount of articulation would matter there was some sort of obstruction blocking the differential anyways. In fact I personally think that articualtion is over hyped as in real world situations it is usually more about the amount of traction and the finesse in using that traction. Different - yes. Far Superior - no. Plus a lot of guys who are into Cherokees are into them because they are affordable. A few mods and a stock Cherokee becomes a very decent offroad rig. It's been said thousands of times: Run what you have and learn what it can do. Upgrade slowly and learn to use the rig with each modification. It's truly amazing what an open / open rig on 31s can do.

"far superior"??? Can't agree there. In the few situations I've witnessed where a huge amount of articulation would matter there was some sort of obstruction blocking the differential anyways. In fact I personally think that articualtion is over hyped as in real world situations it is usually more about the amount of traction and the finesse in using that traction. Different - yes. Far Superior - no. Plus a lot of guys who are into Cherokees are into them because they are affordable. A few mods and a stock Cherokee becomes a very decent offroad rig. It's been said thousands of times: Run what you have and learn what it can do. Upgrade slowly and learn to use the rig with each modification. It's truly amazing what an open / open rig on 31s can do.

trust me ive been through it all. i started wheeling with my cherokee bone stock, upgraded to a RE 3.5" and 31's all open, then locked the rear, then added 33's. every mod that i changed was to futher my capabilities. when i started meeting and wheeling with people with buggies/truggies and saw the trails they were doing i wanted to keep up with them so i swapped axles for strength and made custom arms for articulation and lockers and i own trails that i wouldnt have dreamed of on 31's.

now you said more about traction than articulation? i thought those two went hand in hand. if you take two rigs over an obstacle, one has less articulation and picks a little tire, and one with a lot more flex and keeps all four tires on the ground...which one will have an easier time? i understand that when flexed out it takes a lot of weight off the tire and thus less traction, but i think that at least some tire grabbing the ground is a lot better than none. i used to wheel all the time with a toyota with dual cases, fully built axles, and f/r ARB's on leaf springs. i cant even tell you how many times i conquered obstacles that he couldnt ONLY because i had more flex even without a front locker. Articulation is a big part of traction and stability which i think is a HUGE part of a successfull wheeler

just my opinion, i didnt mean to start a feud or anything

and how many of you short arm guys that are swearing by it actually ran long arms on your rig? if you can tell me that you have personally tried and tested both setups and then decided that short arms work better then i will shut up at admit wrong. i have personally tried and ran both setups for many months and i have personally found that long arms have made my rig a lot more capable. i dont think you should down talk setups that you havent ran before. anyone can read opinions on the net about it but it all comes down to personal experience and what works for you.

sorry im done talking now

RE 3.5 short arm w/ 2" budget boost. tomkin adjustable lowers with JJ's.

Image098.jpg

Back