• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how can I tell how much lift I have?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know this is a borderline (ok, it's not borderline) newb questions, but I installed a lift on my '88xj over ten years ago... since then, I installed a 350 chevy engine, and I'm having a hellof a time with the front differential hitting the downpipe exhaust on the driver side ( I just got it back from the exhaust shop, they did a fantastic job routing the exhaust, but it's just too tight under there.)

I'm probably going to put in extended bumpstops for now just to get me wheeling this summer, but long term I may as well get additional lift (which is an excuse to get rid of my 32"s and go with 35's....)

so, with that long-winded intro... how do I tell how much lift I already have?

If I remember correctly -- and this is well over ten years ago-- I think I did rear 1" shackles and 1" spacers up front, plus rusty's 3.5" coil/add-a-leaf. So, I'm thinking of getting a 4.5" coil/leaf system (or maybe 6.5"..). Anyway, is there any way to figure out how much lift I have? What is the stock clearance of an '88 xj from ground to diff? maybe if I measure that, take into account the diameter tires...

Ground to diff won't account for lift height at all, only tires. Still have the stock flares? You can measure from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the flare. IIRC it's 17" or so. That info can be found with a quick Google search.

mine from bottom of rim (15in rim) to bottom of fender was how i measured before and after doing my lift.

stock (with tired, very very tired suspension) was 25.5inches in the front and 24.5inches in the back.

only have the front of my lift done so far and im at 31.5inches. Mind you this is with no driving around at all so its not settled any yet but my 4.5in lift ended up being 6inches in the front. Once it settles and the bumper and winch go on, i expect it to go down a good bit.

ok, great. Thanks, all very helpful.

Back