• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So, how fast have you gone?

used to do 150 regularly in the alfa gtv. very solid at speed with electronic lowering the faster you go. at 150 the car was pretty much on the ground. here in SF we have a freeway designed like the autobahn (wide with long sweeping turns). on the yamaha 400 which redlines at 15,000 rpm i hit 100 in third with three more gears to go pretty freq. but on a bike life and limb seem way more at risk. so i wait for track days. in fact now that i realise i am human i tend to wait for track days or nothing at all.
the xj has done 100 for a shoert time, but it is apparently not designed to be driven over 70, (LOL) because it gets kinda scary (high center, brakes, steering).
120 (terminal velocity) falling out of an airplane (just a few times so far!)
the subaru (my neighbors) has a twin turbo setup with ralley susp and it will sing at 180 all day long.
like posted already...be careful folks!

Verified speed of 138MPH and I managed to achieve it in the space of 1/4 mile... in a station wagon.

Went a bit faster in the same car on the road but front runners made me gt out of it befor eit topped out, estimate to have been at only around 145.

Jes said:
In my Jeep...
Speed.jpg

...I do slow down when the weather turns bad though. ;)
picture.JPG

Jes

good lord man!! my xj hates goin more than 70. but i push it to about 73. at 75 i swear that thing wants to explode. its drive line and axels are all stock. hey its all well and good for me im in no hurry :rof:

Just north of 200mph in a customers RUF prepared 96 twin turbo Porsche (benefits of owner a European auto repair shop) on a stretch of interstate 40 just west of Winston Salem NC around 3am. On my bike about 170 to 180mph, its an 01' gsxr1000.

BIGWOODY said:
Just north of 200mph in a customers RUF prepared 96 twin turbo Porsche (benefits of owner a European auto repair shop) on a stretch of interstate 40 just west of Winston Salem NC around 3am. On my bike about 170 to 180mph, its an 01' gsxr1000.

In my own car: an indicated 125mph. 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16 on I-15 south, flat-out in fifth. Of course, the statute of limitations has expired on that statement.

Having said that, my first memory is of seeing 130mph on the speedo of my father's series-1 Jaguar E-Type (which, sadly, he sold in 1980). I'll skip the disclaimer on that one since it's obvious.

Fastest actual speed travelled on land: a limited 155mph in a Mercedes S600 in Germany. Nice, but not as fun as the first two.

180+ In my old Suzuki GSXR, the bike was a 750cc with a hopped up 1100cc engine stuffed into the frame among other things, but the speedo stopped at 180 and I got it to go past that.

my dad had an early 90's cbr1000f. it was more of a sport touring bike, but it could haul. i kept the speedo pegged at 175 (probably closer to 160; bike speedos always seem to be off). i did this all the way from springfield to branson mo, approx 30 miles. it's by far the biggest rush of speed i have ever had.

110 in my 99 xj on the autobahn...passenger in a 88 bmw at roughly 160 (i was quickly converting kmh to mph)
40 knots underwater:D
170 knots indicated in a hawk crankin and bankin over back 40 at campbell!!! gotta love the treetops hitting the main landing gear wheels, oh man is it a rush!!!! nothin like flyin a helo!

'course gil prolly understands that one, cept he's always stuck as a pax, and i can lean out the crewchief's window hangin by my seatbelt!!

Recently, I was going up to my girlfriend's house, around a 100 mile trip, one way. I do around 75 mph the whole way, the jeep's not having any problems at all at that speed. Anyway, on that particular trip, I was following an porsche in the fast lane, and I wasn't paying attention to anything eccept the driving and the porsche for a good 20 mins then I looked down to the speedo.. It was pointing nearly straight down. I have no idea how fast that is but i'd estimate it at around 110, 120 but that'd be nice to know for a fact. :)

587 on a flight to Denver, Co..........

I used to always be into speed

First car was a 63.5 galaxie 500 fastback 426 CobraJet and muncie 4 speed. I was 14 when I bought it and drive it to school on my 16th B day. blew it up 2 years later racing a vette between Lake Havasu City and Parker AZ on the highway speedo went to 130 was wll past that.. Car would do a 1/4 mile at 112.90 was best time.

Then we built a dodge D50 geared st 3.07 Bae turbo kit and custom fuel injection. full body ground effects saw a cop on the way to calico truck run between needles and barstow. My brother was driving. He floored it and we never saw teh cop till calico. The said we where doing 145. went back to his car came backto use back to his car. ended up giving us a warining said "no one whould believe a D50 would to 145. let alone pull away from him in his camero on I40

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Gotta love cars like that, Dad had my Lebaron out on a local highway on his way to pick me up from work (he changed the plugs and O2 sensor while I was working) several years back and he he had a dumb grin on his face when he came in the store. On the drive back home he told me he was having overboosting problems with the car (the turbo would spool until it ran into the computer's 12 psi fuel cut off) and said he ran up on a bunch of guys in a 4dr Impala SS with big chrome pipes coming out the back. For a pretty good distance (the stores I've worked at are about 6mi from home) and he ran side by side with it. Since the speedo only went to 85 he didn't know how fast he was going, but he kept getting funny looks from the occupants in the Impala, all while backing off the gas to keep from hitting the restricter :yelclap: . I still miss that little terror :tears:

I saw 165 a few seconds after letting off the gas on a Kaw ZX11. Too fast, too scared to look at the speedo untill after it slowed down a little. Been up to 100 mph on dirt, that was on two wheels also. Slight gearing change on a yamaha YZ 250 for sand drags.

Back