• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow chains with 235s?

Alpine Jim

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't sure whether this qualified as an OEM question or a tech question....

My ’99 is my first Cherokee and still new to me so I don’t yet have the model expertise that I used to have with my Commando. There are a lot of threads out there with info about the use of chains on Cherokees - what works, what doesn’t, etc. but I am not finding my question.

Right now I am on dinky P215 street-only tires, but want to upgrade to some good All-Terrains before hunting season. Typically we need to use chains every other year or so in the area I hunt, and I want my rig to be prepared.

If I go with P235/75/15’s on my otherwise stock rig, sounds like snow chains are an issue on the front due to clearances at the LCAs and the stock flares.

Several questions here:
-In the front, is the root cause of the problem a clearance issue with the LCAs (and therefore maybe wheels with less BS would resolve by itself by moving the wheel/tire edge outwards)?

-Or is it primarily an issue with the flares – something a small (2 inch) lift would resolve?

-Or is it a combination and both are issues, and therefore I need to address both at the same time?

-Or maybe there are other factors besides the ones mentioned?

-What about the rear - are there issues with 235s with chains?

I know it’s a lot of questions – so thanks for the help!

Jim

anything that is larger than 30" in diameter will rub on the front LCAs.
the easy fix is to install WJ arms, they have a bend for clearance and will clear a wheel with a 30.5" diameter at full lock/stuff.

I would not decrease the wheel backspacing. The stock wheels will tuck a tire inside the outer fender/flare. If you move the wheel farther out you will hit the flare and have to cut the fender.

with stock wheels you'll not have any issues in the rear.

I ran 235's and chains back when I was stock (its been a while..) and they never rubbed..

Back