• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel - Another Do It Yourself

This is seriously a GREAT writeup! Thanks for taking the time to document everything with pictures!

This thread has seriously inspired me to do a home-brew snorkel versus an off-the-shelf solution.

Do you have a catch, or drain for rain? Looks real good!!

great job, this looks pretty good!

As far as rain goes, i don't use a cap on mine(an haven't since i did it over a year ago) has anyone ever had problems with driving in heavy rain?

264.jpg

I know I'll be in for some flaming, but it's really hard for me to understand why/how people can spend the money on Hanson or Warn ($800+) bumpers instead of less expensive others like JCR; Bushwhacker flares instead of cheap TJ flares; aluminum wheels instead of cheap steel, ACOS instead of poly spacers - and then hesitate to spend the coin on a decent looking snorkel instead of a poop pipe hack job, right up front on an otherwise sweet XJ.

I just ... don't ... get it.

I know I'll be in for some flaming, but it's really hard for me to understand why/how people can spend the money on Hanson or Warn ($800+) bumpers instead of less expensive others like JCR; Bushwhacker flares instead of cheap TJ flares; aluminum wheels instead of cheap steel, ACOS instead of poly spacers - and then hesitate to spend the coin on a decent looking snorkel instead of a poop pipe hack job, right up front on an otherwise sweet XJ.

Cuz after buying all that stuff they is po' :D

I made the same thing for my Zuki easy and cheap worked great. Looks good it is nice to make your own stuff as long as it works that is all that matters.

No flamin! Everyone does it there own way, as it should be. I just buy what I can afford when I can afford it. I also like doing my own mod's and building my own stuff when I can. So my XJ is a mix of new, used, cheap, expensive, factory, custom and home built. But I can say I built it and that makes me feel pretty good. It's a matter of what works for each of us. As long as it's safe and functional, go for it. Then wheel it!

Damn that was funny, I know you and ARB, both nice people so yeah its a little bit out of line to bust on him, but luckily its not your ride so you dont have to worry about it. Im sure there are decisions you have made at some point in time regarding a vehicle that may have not been the wisest according to others, so maybe it worked, maybe it didnt, thats how we learn I guess.

Damn that was funny, I know you and ARB, both nice people so yeah its a little bit out of line to bust on him, but luckily its not your ride so you dont have to worry about it. Im sure there are decisions you have made at some point in time regarding a vehicle that may have not been the wisest according to others, so maybe it worked, maybe it didnt, thats how we learn I guess.
Naw, I'm not really busting on him, not in a malicious way. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around that mod. I've been drooling over a Hanson front bumper ever since I first saw one. (I don't want to spend that much) But you can be sure whatever I get will look almost as good. I dunno, guess it's a girl thing. I apologize if I have offended anyone, seriously. I feel the same way about any similar home made snorkel. It's just too visible & prominent a mod not to look "right". Yeah, snorkels are stupid-expensive and after swamping my XJ, I would like to have one. But if I have to make my own out of that round pipe, I'll either wait (as I'm doing now), or go without. Hey, at least he color matched it, which is a nice touch. I do love paint.

You are right tho - it's not my XJ. I do agree that as long as the owner is happy, it's a win-win situation.

Naw, I'm not really busting on him, not in a malicious way. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around that mod. I've been drooling over a Hanson front bumper ever since I first saw one. (I don't want to spend that much) But you can be sure whatever I get will look almost as good. I dunno, guess it's a girl thing. I apologize if I have offended anyone, seriously. I feel the same way about any similar home made snorkel. It's just too visible & prominent a mod not to look "right". Yeah, snorkels are stupid-expensive and after swamping my XJ, I would like to have one. But if I have to make my own out of that round pipe, I'll either wait (as I'm doing now), or go without. Hey, at least he color matched it, which is a nice touch. I do love paint.

You are right tho - it's not my XJ. I do agree that as long as the owner is happy, it's a win-win situation.

Just dont mistake it for plumbing and poop down it, and its all good.

So I have stainless wrinked tubeing for a catscan or mri machine 2 1/2 inch and have been thinking of useing that for a snorkle .Does it make that much of a diff to not be real smooth inside looks like that black wrinkle pipe but smaller and smoother and its stainless

Back