• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybilt or Warn ?

green_machine

NAXJA Forum User
I cannot make a decision on what winch i am going to get and i would like some imput. I am looking at either a Warn XD 9000, or a Smittybilt XRC 12000. I can get the smittybuilt for about 250-300 dollars cheaper and 3000 lbs more pulling power, these are the ones that will fit in my bumper. I know warn has a killer reputation and i heard smittybilt is second best. I live in Alaska and will be back quite a ways where most people are few and far between if you get my drift, i need something that wont let me down, what way do you guys think would be the best way to go, this is going into a ARB bumper, thanks for your guys advice, Todd

Get the warn. They are designed and built to be used where your life may depend on it working properly.

Buy American=Warn :patriot:

thanks, its nice that someone finally replied

well, you posted in the wrong section. Modified Tech might have been a better choice, even Off Topic... this board doesn't have as much traffic.

If the only 2 choices were Warn XD 9000 and the Smittybilt, I'd go with the Warn. Besides the M8000 they are super reliable. The newer Smittybilts are better than the first batch but it's still an economy winch.

Personally, I'd go for a Superwinch. :D

ive had to replace my smittybuilt 8000 doe to beaking a bolt. it twisted the winch and cracked the housing. i dont know if i got the 1 in a million bad one. but its not a bad winch. personally i think i would have went with a warn if i had the extra cash.

you could get the warn and a snacht block, then you'll have 16000 pounds :p

The smittybilt 8,000 and 10,000 are just T-Max winches with different stickers. Pull one apart and you will see T-Max cast on it. Get the smittybilt and save yourself some money!

get the warn and never be stranded ;) why going so big? my m8000 pulls my jeep without breathing hard and it cost me 469....

I'm running the Smittybilt XRC10 and it's been god so far. Helped pull a sunk Super Duty out of the mud, pulled a Prius out of the sand (how she got there, I don't know), and yanked my brother's non-running Chevy up a foot and a half ledge onto his trailer. The 39s on the Chevy helped a little...

I have a Smittybuilt also. I does not pull very fast but it is strong. My M8000 would heat up on long pulls. The Smittybuilt does not but it pulls a lot more power.

I would get the Smittybuilt as well. Anything that has a series wound motor is better though. I know all of the big winch companies make some that are and aren't series wound. Do your homework, pick something in your price range with a series wound motor, and you will be fine.

I have never winched much. Between my brother and me we have a Ramsey REP8000, Warn m-8000, xd8000i, xd9000i, m12000, 16.5ti, a Superwinch EPi9000, and a Milemarker SEC12,000.

I would personnally go with a Warn or Superwinch. From what I have seen, the cheaper 10k and 12k winches that use the same mounting pattern as a 9000# Warn, aren't any bigger than a 9000# Warn, just differnet gearing. A Warn 12,000# winch is a big animal. Since you said you are in Alaska, where people are few and far in between, I WOULD NOT skimp on a winch at all. Have plenty of rigging and snatch blocks, maybe a pull pal also(I have one and so does my brother, both bought brand new from people that never used them and sold them dirt cheap. They also weren't in Alaska.) What type of winches are offer from the factory or through new dealerships, Warn and Superwinch.

I've gone medieval on my Smittybilt and it's never let me down. JP magazine did a comparo a few months back (last Fall?) and they were realllll impressed with the Smittybilt. And if you read JP you know they're not impressed easy. IMHO, I'd buy a Smittybilt.

I think the Smittybilt would do a fine job--however, I would get rid of the solid-state solenoid (if they are still using those) and replace it with a set of--wait for it--Warn solenoids.

I think the Smittybilt would do a fine job--however, I would get rid of the solid-state solenoid (if they are still using those) and replace it with a set of--wait for it--Warn solenoids.

I was talking to an engineer from Superwinch a few weeks ago (we met at the SW plant before an NEA fundraiser / run) and yeah, the solenoids all have the same basic function and are interchangeable. Once he explained it, it made sense, I just never thought about it.

i will be buying me a winch in a few weeks, plan on saving me some money and gong with a smittybilt 8,000lb winch. I'll be getting a snatch block to go with it. but i'm not to concerned about it. Now ten years ago I was a warn on nothing kinda guy. I guess my thing is with the advance of technology and all warn should be able to drop there prices down by now. So at this point your just buying the name. As for the smittybilt everything i've read says they are good. and about a 3rd of the price. Hell you could get 2 8000lb smittybilt winches still come out cheaper and never be worried about it.

Back