• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow and Non-fuel Efficient XJ

i didnt know i thought revs was something completely diff lol
now that i look at that post i feel dumb haha but hey i am only normal!
everybody makes mistakes

heck if you can just get like a 8 degree shim and that would be a lot cheaper than an sye and that might solve the pinion angle.

heck if you can just get like a 8 degree shim and that would be a lot cheaper than an sye and that might solve the pinion angle.

Thats a band-aid, just pay the 500 and do it right! Of course you are probably gonna have to shim it a little anyways.

You can do an SYE for a hell of a lot less than 500. At least, if you don't mind a hack n tap...

$90 for yoke+shipping from drive-line.com
$15 for 3/8-16 or 1/2-13 drill+tap from Lowes
$5 for grade-8 washer and bolt of same size and thread pitch
$40 for lift fee + front driveshaft at you-pull-it
however much for shims, or reweld perches

I come up with $150. I actually spent a good deal more than this as I picked up a spare front driveshaft as well and a full tap&die set instead of just the tap I needed, but that was just me...

You can do an SYE for a hell of a lot less than 500. At least, if you don't mind a hack n tap...

$90 for yoke+shipping from drive-line.com
$15 for 3/8-16 or 1/2-13 drill+tap from Lowes
$5 for grade-8 washer and bolt of same size and thread pitch
$40 for lift fee + front driveshaft at you-pull-it
however much for shims, or reweld perches

I come up with $150. I actually spent a good deal more than this as I picked up a spare front driveshaft as well and a full tap&die set instead of just the tap I needed, but that was just me...

Yeah, Hack n tap's are cheap and can be done right. I would rather do the full SYE kit myself.

i like that kit. will a front drive shaft from a auto 4.0 work with that kit? or would a custom one be needed?

the difference between stock and 33' is about a 20%

so 150 miles would be 180.

20% of 150 is 30, so 150 plus 30 equals 180.

wow

Even easier way to do it

If your speedo is off by 8% like mine is, the multiply the miles the odo shows by 1.08

so 150 miles on the odo is really 150 x 1.08, or 162 miles

dont mean to thread jack, but to do a hack n tap couldnt you use the yoke off of your old rear drive shaft, make the cuts, bolt it down, the put bolts in from the front side of the yoke that thread into the drive shaft... dont remember exactly wut it all looked like ha

now would i have to get a new drive shaft with this? i have an 8.25 that im putting in and using my d35 driveshaft?

dont mean to thread jack, but to do a hack n tap couldnt you use the yoke off of your old rear drive shaft, make the cuts, bolt it down, the put bolts in from the front side of the yoke that thread into the drive shaft... dont remember exactly wut it all looked like ha
No.

A hack n tap requires a CV yoke for the transfer case, it's set up differently than a standard single cardan U-joint yoke. You could try it, and it'll work under low torque, but it'll blow up the second you try and do anything fun with it most likely.

Back