• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip Yoke Part Number

here's the e-mail I've been firing off:

I've been searching high and low for this bloody yoke and I'm wondering if you can help me:

I am eliminating the slip yoke on my NP242 Transfer Case
I need a yoke that will except a double cardan joint driveshaft

The dimensions of the yoke that I need are:

[SIZE=-0]1.172" x 27-spline with a 1.50" seal diameter[/SIZE]
-It uses a 1310 series U-joint
-Needs to be U-bolt style attachment
-This is a fixed bolt on style yoke

Wondering if you can find anything for me, for cross referencing purposes this style yoke was used on these units:

Muncie's, Saginaw (3 & 4-speeds), M-20, M-21, 65-70 M-22, Muncie 4-speed, Borg-Warner T4, T5, T10, T16, T56, GM T200, T350, some T375, 4L60, 4L60E, 200R4, 700R4, ZF 6-speed, BOP, Tremec, HD3-speeds

I tried finding a GM part number to cross refence what its from and pull up a picture but I cant seem to get anything.

Last edited:
Oatmeal said:
Why are you so sure that, that one is the correct one and not the one that Marcus (they guy that came up with this conversion) mentions in his write up? Looking over the specs of the two, the one that you recommend is an inch longer but, otherwise the same.......you'd be cutting them down anyway so, what is the relevance :dunno: ----------Hans
You cut down the yoke as you say. That is the exact same yoke I ordered to do the cheap SYE for my 99' with the np242. The part numbers are most likely different because Marcus gave the spicer/Tom Wood's part number. I made the mistake of ordering that yoke listed in the ebay ad and ended up wasting the money trying to make it work. The yoke is listed as a slip yoke, but you drill a hole and use a washer to keep the yoke stationary once you hack n tap the output shaft. Search the part number I gave you if you want more verification.

The one posted on ebay IS the correct part. There is a GM part number and Tom Woods has his own part number, but they are the same.

Timber said:
The one posted on ebay IS the correct part. There is a GM part number and Tom Woods has his own part number, but they are the same.

Let's play a game called "Been there, done that". I bought that yoke from that exact seller on ebay and it DOES NOT WORK. The spacing for the holes for the U-bolt is NOT wide enough to accomodate the bolt spacing on the D-Cardan joint. However, the yoke that I listed, at the source I listed, with the part number I listed, is the correct one. If for some incredulous reason you cannot comprehend that fact, do as I suggested and search the part number and see how several others have used the exact same part successfully. If that still does not work for you, look at the application for the yoke I pointed out. Seems to be listed as a CV style yoke, does it not? And btw, the 231 and 242 both use the same output yoke. It's your money though, and if you don't want to benefit from me making the mistake, it's on you.

Here is a question...I called my local drive shaft shop and they have a yoke that is 1.176"X27 splines with a 1.50 seal diameter and a 5.4 something "C" length...uses the right U-joint and is the U-bolt style...is that close enough to work???

This is why a u-bolt yoke like the ebay one does not work. The spacing between the bolt holes is not far enough apart to bolt to a cv shaft. The yoke I've been posting about has the same spacing for the bolts as the cv and is the correct one to use. This is an xj front shaft for referrence. Sorry for the poor pic, but I had to use my phone for the pic.
ubolt.jpg

kunaji said:
This is why a u-bolt yoke like the ebay one does not work. The spacing between the bolt holes is not far enough apart to bolt to a cv shaft. The yoke I've been posting about has the same spacing for the bolts as the cv and is the correct one to use. This is an xj front shaft for referrence. Sorry for the poor pic, but I had to use my phone for the pic.
ubolt.jpg
Well, that is definitely good to know.....thanks, for the heads up! Was the yoke you used ever installed on a vehicle as original equipment or is it a special conversion yoke? If it is an OEM part, what year, make and model? I too, am on an extreme budget and may have to rely on my junkyard scrounging skills to pull this off---------Hans

Oatmeal said:
Well, that is definitely good to know.....thanks, for the heads up! Was the yoke you used ever installed on a vehicle as original equipment or is it a special conversion yoke? If it is an OEM part, what year, make and model? I too, am on an extreme budget and may have to rely on my junkyard scrounging skills to pull this off---------Hans
If your on a extreme budget like i am your probably better off buying the part in my above post cause if you have to buy it new its cheaper then the yoke and probably easier to find in a junk yard it can be found on these cars
80-82 Ford Thunderbird
80-82 Mercury Couger
82-87 Lincoln Continental
79-80 Lincoln Versailles
84-88 Lincoln Mark VII

Ok, this thing blew up, and I'm glad it did, lots of good info being brought up. Just for the sake of being cheap, and lazy too, does anyone have the specs on the front output yoke? Would it work on the rear if the shaft is cut down and tapped? Just a thought. I could be totally wrong. But the listing at PowerTrain Industries as brought up in this thread lists the part number 3103-27CV as a "Jeep 321 T/C CV Yoke." Wouldn't that just be for the front if it is a stocked part? Or is it made specifically for doing something like this? Excuse the confusion if I sound like an idiot. I may be making this harder than it is.

mustangconv85 said:
If your on a extreme budget like i am your probably better off buying the part in my above post cause if you have to buy it new its cheaper then the yoke and probably easier to find in a junk yard it can be found on these cars
80-82 Ford Thunderbird
80-82 Mercury Couger
82-87 Lincoln Continental
79-80 Lincoln Versailles
84-88 Lincoln Mark VII
I already have that part, pulled it out of the local PAP (and 2 front XJ shafts) on half price day :D I just like the yoke style better. Besides, have you priced the Hack and Tap kits lately?-------Hans

Last edited:
Dave41079 said:
Ok, this thing blew up, and I'm glad it did, lots of good info being brought up. Just for the sake of being cheap, and lazy too, does anyone have the specs on the front output yoke? Would it work on the rear if the shaft is cut down and tapped? Just a thought. I could be totally wrong. But the listing at PowerTrain Industries as brought up in this thread lists the part number 3103-27CV as a "Jeep 321 T/C CV Yoke." Wouldn't that just be for the front if it is a stocked part? Or is it made specifically for doing something like this? Excuse the confusion if I sound like an idiot. I may be making this harder than it is.

I have 2 spare 231 t-cases sitting around so i pulled the front yoke off of one just to check but it doesn't fit on the rear of the t-case

Edit: this should help out some http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289864&highlight=3103-27

http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/drive_shaft_SYE.htm

Last edited:
I will remove the Corvette style yoke from the write up as looks like I was given wrong information about its suitablilty. Thank you Kunaji for giving the correct yoke number and sorry for misinformation about the eBay one.

kunaji said:
Let's play a game called "Been there, done that". I bought that yoke from that exact seller on ebay and it DOES NOT WORK. The spacing for the holes for the U-bolt is NOT wide enough to accomodate the bolt spacing on the D-Cardan joint. However, the yoke that I listed, at the source I listed, with the part number I listed, is the correct one. If for some incredulous reason you cannot comprehend that fact, do as I suggested and search the part number and see how several others have used the exact same part successfully. If that still does not work for you, look at the application for the yoke I pointed out. Seems to be listed as a CV style yoke, does it not? And btw, the 231 and 242 both use the same output yoke. It's your money though, and if you don't want to benefit from me making the mistake, it's on you.

had a friend that just used the wrong yoke as well and that is exactly what we ran into
all was fine except for the spacing of the holes on the yoke. they would not line up with the holes on the cardan joint of the front XJ shaft we were using. ended up taking it to a machine shop and modifing it. So the vet yoke does not work as is

Gojeep said:
I will remove the Corvette style yoke from the write up as looks like I was given wrong information about its suitablilty. Thank you Kunaji for giving the correct yoke number and sorry for misinformation about the eBay one.

No worries man. :cheers: I'm glad I could help others not buy the wrong yoke.

Back