• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sliders

Starboard M said:
:tears:
I have some questions about life. Do you have some time to help me?

This has been covered so many times its not even funny. I searched for "slider" and came up with 410 threads. Not all of them have anything to do with sliders, but come on. Search. It took me, according to NAXJA .13 seconds to search.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93677&highlight=Sliders
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88449&highlight=Sliders
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103630&highlight=Sliders
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102372&highlight=Sliders
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99826&highlight=Sliders
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95759&highlight=Sliders

Those are some that I picked that looked like they might help.
And so GermanXJ doesnt pick on me any more, I have AJs and love them. Helped me tons of times, and with the Super ones, the extra tubing doubles as a step when your in mud or water.

Search Nazis never get it.
If we quit asking questions, current information will cease to exist, the XJ world will quit spinning which will cause the planets to fall out of alignment.
"When everyone is thinking alike, someone is not thinking"-George

About the frame stiffeners. Has anyone stiffened or reinforced their frame/pinch with regular sliders?
Has anyone attributed stiffeners to frame/body flex (carnage) that they didn't want?

Starboard M said:
:tears:
I have some questions about life. Do you have some time to help me?

OK..

Then why would somebody with a "Slammed '89 on Dubs" come into this thread then? And why would you bother to chime in at all if you did wander in?

lemme guess... a post whore.

That's the problem with having a post count listed in everybody's profile. You always have some people who barge into threads where they have no positive contribution to make just to "raise their score".

So I'm not gonna tell you to get a life, since I honestly don't care if you have one or not. But if you're not going to contribute, just shut up.

And I won't get offended if you don't respond to this; that would be the oppropriate thing to do. - Correspondingly, don't be shocked when I don't reply to anything you might put in the rest of this thread.

Now, back to the original poster:

Just send me a PM if you want to see the JCR sliders installed. I'm booked this next weekend, but this weekend I should have some free time.

I will second what has been said here a few times... the search feature can help you, but there is no problem asking questions that have been asked before. I have been guilty of "jumping" on folks for not using search and I have been "jumped" on myself.

Anyway, there are many options out there. Do review the posts as well as pics. Also do a web search.

I like to go to meet and greets and trail runs to see what other folks have done and get ideas.

If you have to skills, material, time, and tools, then make your own. If not, you have no other choice than to buy some or have some made for you.

The Detours stuff is awesome! Mark is a great guy to deal with. I have been running his rear bumper/tire carrier for several years now with no compliants. If I had not already had a set, I would buy the ones with the fram stiffeners. I also have the DPG bellyskid, so it has to be modified to work with the Detours stuff, BUT Mark can work with you on this.

My first set of rails I bought from someone on here. They were used, but not abused. I got a good price and still have them on my rig. They are Rocky Road Outfitters brand.

I recently bought a set of JCR stage II sliders from another member on here that order them, then changed his plans for his rig. They are bradn new, never installed, never painted. I just painted them last night. I hope to install them this weekend. These are AWESOME! The welds are clean and steel is good quality, no pits or discoloring, etc.. I will get pics while I am installing.

Of course, AJ's stuff is top notch. I have seen lots of pics of his work and a few locals have some of his products.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

My recommendation is to take folks up on their offer and look at what they are running. Then, think about what you want to do to your rig: is there a cage in your future, do want to use the slider as a step, do you want a square face or the round tube sticking out for more protection, etc...

Good Luck!

bmyohn said:
are Ajs prices for one slider or do they come in pairs???

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone selling sliders individually.

These types of things are a set, so it shoudl always be priced per set.

Fozzy_Bear said:
OK..

Then why would somebody with a "Slammed '89 on Dubs" come into this thread then? And why would you bother to chime in at all if you did wander in?

lemme guess... a post whore.

That's the problem with having a post count listed in everybody's profile. You always have some people who barge into threads where they have no positive contribution to make just to "raise their score".

So I'm not gonna tell you to get a life, since I honestly don't care if you have one or not. But if you're not going to contribute, just shut up.

And I won't get offended if you don't respond to this; that would be the oppropriate thing to do. - Correspondingly, don't be shocked when I don't reply to anything you might put in the rest of this thread.

Now, back to the original poster:

Just send me a PM if you want to see the JCR sliders installed. I'm booked this next weekend, but this weekend I should have some free time.
Im sorry, I must have caught you on your bad day or something.
My sig is a joke, something that I guess you wouldnt understand. Im actually suprised, as you are the first person to say something about it. I would have expected people to do exactly what you did, questioning what I say because I have that as a sig. Now, they should be questioning what I say anyway, but that just gives them more or an excuse to do it. That being said, I have a slightly modified jeep.
As for the post whore, I agree, I have what, 1200 posts or so? That is a lot. And quite frankly, I sure a lot of those post mean nothing, have no good info in them, and are just quite frankly, stupid. So then why do I post them? While it has been my dream since I was a young boy to get the highest post count on NAXJA, I dont think that is going to happen. I post to either give some pointless info that might help someone, make a point, or even make a joke.
That was what my first post was, which I got jumped on my GermanXJ for. In todays age, I guess I should have been more PC, and told him to search, and then shown him the links that I provided later. Would have saved him the .16 seconds it took me to search.
Now you did give him some info about the JCR slidders. That was more then I could have told him. Good job. Now you can rest easy that you didnt post pad, and you contributed something to the off road comunity. I didnt do that untill I got jumped on, and I aplaude(sp) you for doing that.
And your right as well about the not responding thing. I shouldnt do it, but I just love to have a conversation, especially when it gets heated. Like you said, I really could care less about if you respond to this or not.
As to the original poster, this was not a personal attack on you or your thread. I hope the info that I gave you for in the search did help somewhat. GermanXJ, and Fozzy, Im sorry my posts got your panties in bunches.
rpraterxj said it the best, and I should have just quoted him and not responded at all. I will stop now with the off topic talk in this thread. (Feel free to quote and edit that to how you see fit.)

To add some info to what I said earlier about AJs sliders, which I personally think are the best on the market. They attatch not only to the frame rails, but the pinch seam and rear leaf spring mount as well. I cant say anything for any other companies, but that was a major selling point for me.
pinchseam.jpg

I have the super rails, and to me, it helped a lot on many trails. It kept trees, dirt and rocks off my doors. They were a pivot point for going around rocks, and a step to use when I didnt or couldnt get to the ground. The only downside is that is harder to get in as they stick out quite a bit.
Call and talk to AJ. He will set you up right, and has an awsome product. When I bought mine, they were not only the cheapest, but the best made. :conceited

AJsArmor said:
Pairs with hardware and drillbit. Installation is free provided you pay for the plain ticket and feed me pizza and beer.:roll:

great...how hard r they to install???

im a little nervous about drilling into the subframe of my XJ
:eeks1:

Brendan

Those aren't sliders! There is too much meat, no steam grilled onions and the buns aren't greasy enough!

Those are fakes! (plus you can't get beer at White Castle...)

I ran Custom 4x4 Fabrications on my last XJ and they were solid and easy to install. My new XJ has Warn Sliders on it and I like the way they mount much better and are much easier to install. Just my .02

bmyohn said:
great...how hard r they to install???

im a little nervous about drilling into the subframe of my XJ
:eeks1:

Brendan

extremely easy. All you need is a ratchet wrench to tighten the bolts, a drill, an appropriate drill bit. If you are nervous get a grease pen, measure twice drill once, though an extra hole wont hurt anything unless you mis drill right next to each other. Its very open there is no removing other parts, nothing thats rusted /siezed etc. Should be a good confidence builder for you if you havent done many/any vehicle repairs or mods. Say compared to putting on a new water pump or alternator (which isnt hard) this is easier. You would REALLY have to try hard to do it wrong.:peace:

AJsArmor said:
Pairs with hardware and drillbit. Installation is free provided you pay for the plain ticket and feed me pizza and beer.:roll:

Starboard M said:
...not only to the frame rails, but the pinch seam and rear leaf spring mount as well. I cant say anything for any other companies, but that was a major selling point for me.
pinchseam.jpg

AJ,

I noticed that feature as a distinguishing point between your design and JCR's (and I since sliders are pretty straight forward, I can see why there would only be small differences between designs). But I'm curious; what specifically is that bent flange designed to help with?
I'm not being a "hater", I am seriously interested.
It seems that being backed up against the leaf perch, the whole assembly would be stabilized from reward motion, protected from inward motion by the large pads against the rail, from outward motion by the pinch seam bolts, and from forward motion by the large bolts through the pad and rails. Do you think that bolting it to the rear adds protection from forward stresses that is really beneficial, or am I off chasing wild geese, and it's for something else entirely?

+

Fozzy_Bear said:
Misfit8,
I see you're in Newport News.

I've got a full set of JCR bumpers and sliders and I'm in Norfolk. Let me know and we can get together and you can see them installed first-hand.

I'd certainly recommend them, but to be honest, I haven't seen many of the alternatives myself, so there might be better out there... But I am very happy with the quality of the parts I got from them.

Thanks for the offer a guy in my club has the sliders as far as bumper's if I use after market it will be Detours......

As far as the search button goes more often than not it's a pain. I prefer to ask questions, some one will always tell me to search after they post all the good links, which in most cases are all the right ones.

For all those who responded thanks...................

misfit8 said:
As far as the search button goes more often than not it's a pain. I prefer to ask questions, some one will always tell me to search after they post all the good links, which in most cases are all the right ones.

For all those who responded thanks...................

As a hint its better to search for real, atleast read a little, and then ask your question with having some context to ask it in. Say: “I read such and such thread; I like this don’t like this, is so and so still the consensus favorite etc?

I am sure when you don’t search and blatantly say so you distance your self from a certain % of knowledgeable folks who on principal, don’t want to help you if you wont search. If your really looking for answers seems to me you want to best answers out there. Not just the ones that come to you easy. Searching and reading a few pages is not hard.

You asked for the best and that is to cut out your rocker pannles and weld in a 2X6 tube in it's place. Max ground clearance and strong. I went with JCR because I just made bumpers and skidplates and I wanted to start on axels so I went the pre-made rought and am sorry I did not do it right.

have rocky road... I know thet do not get rave reviews, but they stand up to tellico ( so thats saying alot) and the last I went they got hammered.
The paint is all it hurt. They are the extended ones so I can use as steps as well. They are made of .25 wall 2" square hitch steel. they are not bending I assure you of that
no one else uses that heavy of box tubing to my knowledge. They bolt on the pinch seam like everyone elses, so I really do not see one being much better than the other.
I will say I like the flat square style sliders better than tubular allows for better use of the high lift if need be. They do come with template ( most do not) so you can drill all your holes in the seam first without having to hold them and try to get a drill in there. it is nearly impossible to put any make off sliders up in place and drill your holes. I installed them alone with two jack stands. each side took less than 30 min. The price is right as well.
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjrockrail.html

Back