• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slickrock sept 28-29 relaxing

twinhauler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Slickrock trail Sept 28-29 before the cold and the snow hits.
Planning on camping late Friday night at the little stream area on the trail.
It about 10-15 minutes down trail from lake alpine. Gonna relax, and explore the area creek walking. Will run trail down and back up Saturday and play around Sunday.
Kid friendly I will have my twin girls. Fun fun

Sounds like fun!

Just a heads up.. This weekend (28-29) is the opening weekend of rifle hunting for deer in zones D3-D5. That camp spot falls in the D5 zone.

Nothing to be worried about, but there will be hunters out and about.

If i decide to get off my butt and hunt this season, I'll be in the area but probably wont be wheeling.

Thanks for the heads up. You think I should camp at the bottom,
Where I camped last time. I think most 4*4 trucks can get to upper area easier than spot at bottom?
I will be getting there about 11-12 so don't want to be hunting for
A camp spot?

I couldn't tell ya. I've never been on Slickrock during hunting season before. A lot of people who hunt have rigs capable of getting into slick rock, but I do agree they would have more of a challenge getting in to the back side by where you camped last time.

I'm getting tags tomorrow, so Ill be headed up for the weekend. I doubt ill end up wheeling slick rock at all, but if I get bored during the day I might swing out there.

If you see me on the road, wave me down!

Hey Buddy, Looks Like I am gonna camp out of dorrington, boards crossing (sourgrass) trail. I think it will be a little warmer on these nights. Show Lows 33-37 at higher elevation. But sat gonna head up and do slick rock and chill on the creek. Maybe ice creams at alpine store if its open.

when I called the FS they said pardoe was closed except for the first mile, due to the litigation stuff. if you end up getting further legally let us know.

Well there is a gate at the begining of the trail near the highway by the cabins, but there is no gate further in until you get to the other end. Which you refer to as "legally".

Hey Buddy, Looks Like I am gonna camp out of dorrington, boards crossing (sourgrass) trail. I think it will be a little warmer on these nights. Show Lows 33-37 at higher elevation. But sat gonna head up and do slick rock and chill on the creek. Maybe ice creams at alpine store if its open.

I don't blame you, it's gonna be chilly. Ill keep an eye out for ya

Well let me know how far you get. I want to run that trail.

No. Ive been wanting to run it though

Heading up tonight. Camping on sourgrass jeep trail. Planning on playing around slick
Rock trail saturday.... The rest just relaxing and creek walking and hiking.

ive seen a rzr on sourgrass before. Not sure if its allowed though.

Tim, slick rock is a street legal only trail. 5+ years ago it was open to green stickers but unfortunately not anymore.

Twin, hopefully you had a good trip! It got pretty chilly at night around alpine. It was around 32* when I left for hunting Saturday morning at 5AM. Hopefully it was a bit warmer for you guys down by boards crossing. And hopefully the hunters didn't crowd the place up too much!

Charlie the Lab and I met John (twinhauler) and his girls Saturday afternoon at the camp on Boards Crossing. The weather was perfect, of course we were at 4300'. It was a very nice weekend.

Back