• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sky high battery costs, and dropping warranties

That's called luck. Whether your unsecured battery hit the hood or not has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with random chance.

Stop playing russian roulette and install a proper hold down. No, a bungee does not count.

Hood insulation won't stop it either, if you don't believe me, consider how much resistance to puncture a thin sheet of compressed fiberglass batt has to being torn by a 30lb battery with a fairly pointy nub on top.

I never said I wasn't going to get one. It's just how it sits right now, it's not my daily driver so it see's mostly trail time, so buying a battery holder isn't on my top priority list right now with it being winter.

Can we move this thread to the safety forum now?

:anon:

:laugh3:

FWIW, I use old radiator hose, 1-1/2-2" to make covers for the post/clamps on mine for extra safety.

That's called luck. Whether your unsecured battery hit the hood or not has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with random chance.

Stop playing russian roulette and install a proper hold down. No, a bungee does not count.

Hood insulation won't stop it either, if you don't believe me, consider how much resistance to puncture a thin sheet of compressed fiberglass batt has to being torn by a 30lb battery with a fairly pointy nub on top.

What is a good float charger to use on my AGM battery that gets driven monthly in the summer and less in the winter?

Let us know which one you get, and why! Link?

The main cauyse of all the recent warranty changes are due to Interstate battery losing a lawsuit that was filed against them for the way they issued prorata adjustment credit. All the players did this but Interstate got taken to court.

Here is how they get you. You buy a battery for a reasonable retail price, say $100 for a 60 month battery. The prorata per month should be $1.67. But if you look in the data pages they say that battery sells for $150, which works out to $2.50 per month. Basically the customer gets screwed since the price of the battery is reduced faster using the higher amount ($2.50/mo). In the end the customer wasn't getting the credit they were due.

Now what you will find is all major brand batteries (Exide, Interstate, and Deka) have gone to a free replacement period only. After that time has passed you have to buy another battery.

Now people who control their brands like Sears, Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc, can choose to still offer the prorata but they better be sure to issue the credit based on the actually selling price not some inflated value.

Maybe this will help.

As a side note, I will only use East Penn (Deka) batteries. I've been through the plant in PA and it is state-of-the-art campared to others I've been through. Made in USA!

I work for an Exide dealer and they still do the prorata deal....

My duralast gold keeps dieing before the warranty goes out so I keep getting free ones and its hard not to say no to switching to a better brand.... lol

My duralast gold keeps dieing before the warranty goes out so I keep getting free ones and its hard not to say no to switching to a better brand.... lol

Autozone still honors the prorata on prior sales, but no longer offers it on new sales. Is Exide still offering it on new sales?

It has the hood insulation so even if it hit the hood it couldn't ground out... I like forcing it to fit ;) I got some bungie straps today, it will get strapped for safety

ROTFLMAO!

I figure I rewired SIX Peugeot 604s that had "force fit" batteries put in them at various auto parts stores, service stations, and shade-tree auto shops. And I wasn't the only one that had that fun job.

Can't tell you how many electrical fires and shorted out components I have come across now FOR DECADES caused by unsecured batteries.

Just keep your full coverage paid up and you will make out.

ROTFLMAO!

I figure I rewired SIX Peugeot 604s that had "force fit" batteries put in them at various auto parts stores, service stations, and shade-tree auto shops. And I wasn't the only one that had that fun job.

Can't tell you how many electrical fires and shorted out components I have come across now FOR DECADES caused by unsecured batteries.

Just keep your full coverage paid up and you will make out.

It will be properly strapped before the next time it leaves level ground.

I found 4 that run off the battery only, a desulfator. These remind me of the one the military (I think it was Texas National guard at the time) was using after the first gulf war to keep vehicle batteries from dying in long term vehicle storage, that I had heard about.

Anyway, these can be permanently attached the battery, with no AC power cord.

http://www.amazon.com/Wizbang-Batte...1357537834&sr=8-7&keywords=battery+desulfator

This one is just more expensive, same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Condi...357537834&sr=8-12&keywords=battery+desulfator

http://www.batterystuff.com/blog/on-board-desulfator-battery-minder-vs-pulse-tech.html

The PP12L only has a single red LED to inform the user that it's on and working. Because Pulse Tech started their business making military grade products, their desulfators are more for function than form. Simple, but very effective. The Power Pulse will use the battery's own electrical power to run the unit. The desulfation process will be ongoing and not stop. It will theoretically run until there is no more power in the battery. Don't worry, the drain is very little as it can be left connected for up to 60 days before the battery will have been drained to a significant level.

So for more than a few weeks the vehicle should be started and charged or a trickle charger used to top them off.

I am probably going to order some of these next.

More on desulfators:

http://www.impactbattery.com/battery-desulfators/?gclid=CP_w4YPp1rQCFUOK4AodSwcAQw

The battery desulfation market has exploded over the last few years as new companies and technologies come to market armed with the latest research & maintenance techniques. The original battery rejuvenator desulfator technology was developed and patented by Canadus Technologies and sold to PulseTech in the late 1990's before being adopted by the US Military to condition, rejuvenate and restore new and old batteries alike. This frequency based pulse method is literally the most effective method available for ensuring lead-acid battery performance, increasing battery efficiency and reducing battery-related costs.

Today, in addition to frequency based desulfation (PulseTech’s Xtreme Charger and VDC Electronics Battery MINDer), industry experts have developed additional reconditioning / desulfating / rejuvenating techniques centered on rapid voltage fluctuation and square wave technology. The Battery Life Saver, utilizing squarewave technology, is the most promising of these newer desulfation techniques. These high frequency industrial grade on board desulfators are a must have for forklifts, golf cars, and scissor lifts. The multitude of rapid voltage fluctuation methods, although not as effective as true frequency square wave methods, still represent a huge leap forward when compared to traditional battery maintenance standards established decades ago. Canadus now uses both voltage modulation along with high frequency pulses.

After doing a couple of Google and Amazon searches, trying to sift through all the cyber vomit on this topic, I remembered a colleague who is a huge Electric Vehicle nut here at work - he has built 2 EVs, converted his lawn mower to electric, has a PV array and a host of other projects. Anyway, he talks about desulfation cycles in his energy blog so I hit him up for information on battery tenders. He said he doesn't use them, just makes sure he gives his batteries a full charge every 3 months using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SS...cluded/dp/B000H961YI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
(130 ratings with a 4.3 star average, not bad @ $47 shipped.)

Plus, it can charge everything from ATV batteries to RV batteries. I have a couple deep-cycle batteries in the RV that aren't performing well at all, I plan on picking this up and running some desulfation/reconditioning cycles on them to see if I can save them. Also should work to keep the jeep AGM unit in tip-top shape. AND, wifey can charge the mini-van when the kiddos leave the lights on all night... :cool:

From the description:
Multi-stage charging allows [the] charger to automatically cycle between a variety of charging phases including desulfation, bulk charging, absorption, monitoring, float mode and a minimal drip charge maintain mode when a connected battery again falls below a certain set level.

My accounts will continue to get prorata for everything sold before the cutoff. After that, it is only free replacement. All my Exide paperwork says so.

Either the company is chosing to do prorata on their own or you are just flowing through the remaining batteries before the change takes place. My stores still have batteries in stock with the 60, 72, 84, and 108 month prorata warranties on them and they will take care of them. The new stock coming in only has the free replacement time listed.

Exide sent out packets of information telling of this change. This is on Exide branded batteries, not private lable stuff built for others.

what would an expensive high end normal battery do for me that a cheap low end normal battery can't do? What are you really getting with the price difference?

You really need to look at price and expected life span,

$$$/months of life and go for the lowest monthly cost IMHO. Right now the 3 year warranty battery is not much more than a 2 year warranty battery, and more cranking amps to boot.

Example:

$110/36 months = $3.05/month cost

$95/24 months = $3.96/month cost for a battery with less peak power and a lower energy density (less energy stored).

Presuming of course they fail just after the warranty runs out.

Last edited:
I just ordered one of these for tests:

http://www.wizbangplus.com/

$30 delivered.

dsc03138-211x148.jpg

dsc03133-213x149.jpg

Also available at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wizbang-Batte...1357584642&sr=1-1&keywords=Wizbang+Desulfator

Last edited:
My accounts will continue to get prorata for everything sold before the cutoff. After that, it is only free replacement. All my Exide paperwork says so.

Either the company is chosing to do prorata on their own or you are just flowing through the remaining batteries before the change takes place. My stores still have batteries in stock with the 60, 72, 84, and 108 month prorata warranties on them and they will take care of them. The new stock coming in only has the free replacement time listed.

Exide sent out packets of information telling of this change. This is on Exide branded batteries, not private lable stuff built for others.

I apologize, this is what we are doing as well. No one decided that we needed to know that information at my work. :wierd: I didn't mean to spread false info.... :eek:

Back