• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid Plate Question

mjma said:
Stock one is great. It even increased by gas mileage by a few miles per tank!!

:dunno:

What?

MPG increase?

Haleyes said:
Why don't you read my post that says I got one for $7........from a dealer?

:banghead:

Hale
Hale sorry for the confusion. I meant the ALLCHRYSLERPARTS dealer. Thats who I thought everyone was calling.
Mike

mikeforte said:
Hale sorry for the confusion. I meant the ALLCHRYSLERPARTS dealer. Thats who I thought everyone was calling.
Mike

Gotcha.

:thumbup:

Hale

99XJSPORT06 said:
I ordered a new latch for my center console from them cause they had the cheapest price by far....shipping came out to be over half of what the damn part cost. Had I known that, I would have kept shopping.

half of what the damn part cost?

so how much did the part cost? shipping costs money, welcome to internet shopping

I just checked on dealerconnect. No dealers show any in inventory and all of the warehouses show a quantity of zero also. I doubt anymore will be produced either. Dealer cost is $7.00 though.

xcm said:
half of what the damn part cost?

so how much did the part cost? shipping costs money, welcome to internet shopping

Off the top of my head, I don't recall the price. I know the price on the latch was very reasonable, and the shipping surprised me. Had I paid more attention to their shipping method (them not telling you the shipping price untill they've already billed your credit card), I probably wouldn't have bought it from them.

Getting back on topic here....I called my local dealer today and asked about the skid. They looked it up, confirmed it had been discontinued (duh, already knew that), and said that they showed one in stock, but it was at a dealer outside of Charlotte. Just for kicks, as i'm going to be moving back down there for school in about 3 weeks or so anyways, I thought i'd give them a call and see what it was going for. After being told the part was $70 (yes, thats, SEVENTY, SEVEN-TY, SEVEN with a ZERO behind it), I politely told them no thanks as I managed to stop choking on the sandwhich I was eating for lunch.

Looks like i'm gonna have to look harder for this one....

I ran into this when they had a sale on the gas tank skids. I paid $10 a piece for the 97+ skid. The local dealer ordered them. The one they had in stock they wanted full price for, since that is what they paid for it. JIM.

So, the parts guys just called me.

Looks like he has no flippin' clue and I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.:laugh:

Hale

Looks Like I'm gonna have to start pulling them from the junkyard.

On the gas mileage increase statement. The undercarriage of an auto causes a some amount of drag. Race cars skin over the underside to help eliminate that. Jacked up XJ's expose more of it so it is possible that a smooth surface like the skid would reduce some of that drag. for what that's worth.

Also if you run a front hitch as a recovery point the installation instructions say to remove the front skid and return it to to the owner. ! So if you wanted to use both you'd have to modify something - probably cutting chunks out of the skid to clear the hitch.

I just put my junkyard jewel front skid on about 15 minutes ago. I welded a section of angle iron it for kicks just to beef up the center of it. It was heavy and a PITA to install alone. Have a friend or 2 jacks ready like I did.

I paid $10 for the T-case and front skids.

After reading this I'm glad I kept the one off my '88. I was gonna give it away(scrap). But I think I'll use it now. I was under the impression that it became more useless the higher you lift but, I guess it still has some use left in it. Chris

My OEM front skid took some serious abuse wheeling yesterday, I'd hate to see what certain parts of my Jeep would look like today without it.

Back