• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Since the subject seems to come up a lot lately...

Cost, essentially. We can't foot the bill ourselves, and we haven't found a useful court mechanism for forcing him to pay (yet.)

It is my understanding that if your MIL can't pay for it from here own money and estate, that Medicare (Or is it Medicaid) will pay for it. Does not cost you or your wife a dime, unless your MIL gave your daughter a huge pile of cash or assets in the last 9 months.

Geez, there is a seminar here this weekend ; 'How to get-your -ducks -n-a-row-so-that-you-and-your-family-don't-skrew-the-pooch-when-it-comes-time-to-cash-in-on-medicare' or something along those lines. I know I was waiting in line for a ticket to that. Sorry, They make it such a set of hoops it's almost to much to listen to.

I hope the best for you and yours.

Geez, there is a seminar here this weekend ; 'How to get-your -ducks -n-a-row-so-that-you-and-your-family-don't-skrew-the-pooch-when-it-comes-time-to-cash-in-on-medicare' or something along those lines. I know I was waiting in line for a ticket to that. Sorry, They make it such a set of hoops it's almost to much to listen to.

I hope the best for you and yours.

Thanks I needed a good laugh!

Actually it is just a simple check the box and certification (Mail fraud if you lie) to make sure the family does not raid the indigent persons millions, or billions, before sticking Uncle Sam with the family bill for indigent care expenses!

hahaha. It should be so easy. It may be so, and I have no real reason to doubt it except, well, the gov is involved.

It is my understanding that if your MIL can't pay for it from here own money and estate, that Medicare (Or is it Medicaid) will pay for it. Does not cost you or your wife a dime, unless your MIL gave your daughter a huge pile of cash or assets in the last 9 months.

Her money? She has none (she got bled dry while she was out in OK.)

Estate? She's got one life insurance policy left, and that's not enough for burial expenses. Probably not enough left to buy a cord of soft firewood - they got her to borrow against that while she was out there as well (probably part of the reason I've got to fight so much to get MPoA - control over money I do not want. I just need the ability to make medical decisions if she's incapacitated, since they usually need to be made in a hurry. Julie can be difficult to call sometimes, so it's a backup plan.)

Huge pile of cash? Haven't seen one of those in a while. Nope - didn't get that either.

But, CA still has "patient's share of cost" that they figure, and it's very rarely zero. Cheap bastids...

Her money? She has none (she got bled dry while she was out in OK.)

Estate? She's got one life insurance policy left, and that's not enough for burial expenses. Probably not enough left to buy a cord of soft firewood - they got her to borrow against that while she was out there as well (probably part of the reason I've got to fight so much to get MPoA - control over money I do not want. I just need the ability to make medical decisions if she's incapacitated, since they usually need to be made in a hurry. Julie can be difficult to call sometimes, so it's a backup plan.)

Huge pile of cash? Haven't seen one of those in a while. Nope - didn't get that either.

But, CA still has "patient's share of cost" that they figure, and it's very rarely zero. Cheap bastids...

The program I am talking about is Federal (Medicare or Medicaid, I get the two confused), I don't think the state gets involved. IIRC the net worth limit was $2,000 for signing up my mother in 2007. It pays about $4,000 / month for indigent care in a nursing home. It is separate from federal medical / doctor / drug/ care expense coverage!

Back