• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SierraFest Rubicon Trip Report

Opie took a shot at the Little Sluice Box in his new rig, a good place to test it out:
SF2011_0392.jpg

Lean'in it to get in:
SF2011_0398.jpg

His tires looked very small beneath the big under cut rocks in the box:
SF2011_0405.jpg

Still found traction:
SF2011_0424.jpg

Pivot around the rock:
SF2011_0428.jpg

Trying to run over my shues:
SF2011_0431.jpg

A very fast run threw the box put smiles on everyone's face:
SF2011_0454.jpg

Next Phil took a shot at the box:
SF2011_0466.jpg

Green Junk looks good in the box:
SF2011_0468.jpg

Looks Small too:
SF2011_0474.jpg

We never found a way to get his back end over about 10 inches, and he was too far to one side and started blow'in smoke, so we pulled a string out:
SF2011_0492.jpg

On the way out I drove the box, photos of that to come, but I am still on Mondays photos.

Opie on one big rock:
SF2011_0505.jpg

SF2011_0516.jpg

Bryan in the Old Sluice:
SF2011_0517.jpg

Phil and Opie were not too sure on Bryan's line down the Sluice:
SF2011_0527.jpg

I thought he was over when his rig unloaded on the drivers side:
SF2011_0528.jpg

Some how he saved it:
SF2011_0530.jpg

Someone said "It's just a very tight part of the trail" no one said it was a steep down hill too!!!!:
SF2011_0563.jpg

Phil workin past the rock:
SF2011_0571.jpg

That was my last photo of Monday, I don't know why none of my photos of Opie taking the high line down the hill did not come out.

SF2011_0589.jpg

. . . it's falling, it's crashing! Watch it! Watch it, folks! Get out of the way! Get out of the way! Get this, Charlie! Get this, Charlie! It's fire—and it's crashing! It's crashing terrible! Oh, my, get out of the way, please! It's burning and bursting into flames, and the—and it's falling on the mooring-mast and all the folks agree that this is terrible, this is the worst of the worst catastrophes in the world. It's–it's–it's the flames, oh, four- or five-hundred feet into the sky and it ... it's a terrific crash, ladies and gentlemen. It's smoke, and it's flames now ... and the frame is crashing to the ground, not quite to the mooring-mast. Oh, the humanity and all the passengers screaming around here. I told you, I can't even talk to people whose friends are on there. Ah! It's–it's–it's–it's ... o–ohhh! I–I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen. Honest, it's just laying there, a mass of smoking wreckage. Ah! And everybody can hardly breathe and talk, and the screaming. Lady, I–I'm sorry. Honest: I–I can hardly breathe. I–I'm going to step inside where I cannot see it. Charlie, that's terrible. Ah, ah—I can't. I, listen, folks, I–I'm gonna have to stop for a minute because I've lost my voice. This is the worst thing I've ever witnessed. :bawl:

ROFL_Laugh.gif

Crack me up.

Black Jack Down, now playing at a camp near you.

The humanity!!!

Ok I have looked over my 1000+ photos and have uploaded all the ones I care to share!!!!

Here is the rest of them, "Dat's only in da morn'in! Yous suposd ta be up cook'in breakfast er somebody"
SF2011_0594.jpg

Fish fer breakfast:
SF2011_0597.jpg

I am more the Turf then the Surf . . . Let me get at that bacon:
SF2011_0603.jpg

Oh and some them hash browns too:
SF2011_0608.jpg

Ok here is a test, whos off white XJ eletistest buggy early NAXJA member was this this at Buck? (URF crew don't answer, and if you were on the Rubicon with us please don't say who!)

SF2011_0612.jpg

It is a TRAP, no way two hot girls come up and just hang out right in front of us on a hike, we must not stop and flirt . . . OH MY GOD . . . they are stripping down to skimpy swimsuits WE BETTER RUN!!!

SF2011_0618.jpg

Our Destination:
SF2011_0628.jpg

Amazing water crossings:
SF2011_0639.jpg

Art enjoying the view of Rubicon Lake:
SF2011_0645.jpg

So cool to see the hard work of the wild life:
SF2011_0649.jpg

I had never seen the tunnel from Rubicon to Rock Bound before this trip, it was very deep . . . balls deep:
SF2011_0662.jpg

More amazing views of the creeks:
SF2011_0669.jpg

This is one of the best spots on this earth for me:
SF2011_0735.jpg

Opie have'in a cold one in the fast cold water:
SF2011_0683.jpg

If you know me you know what this is:
SF2011_0722.jpg

Water was perfect on the hot day, and Kelly was having fun with his fishing just up streem:
SF2011_0739.jpg

Down stream people are just trying to keep the feet under them as the fast water pushes past:
SF2011_0767.jpg

Wednesday morning and time to split ways, this was one of the best groups I have ever been with on the Rubicon! Some very experienced people, some that have been there before, and some great first timers to the Rubicon, but they could really drive the rocks well. No hand holding, no get out and spotting needed, no bitching about time or trail lenth, and everyone had great attitudes! For me to see threw the eyes of someone driving the trail for the first time was a real treat, and the clear leadership from Bryan C. and Eric made this trip one of the best ever!!

SF2011_0811.jpg

From left to Right, Letterman(Me, David) fyrfytr1717(Tony), in front of XJ_ranger(Opie/Brian), sdspero(Art), playwithit(Kelly), ocean_jet(Mike), Phil(Phil), EricsXJ(Eric) and our Trail Leader Bryan C.(Bryan C.)

Back