• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Show Of Hands

I think the south should secede! A mid-soulth chapter would be great for those who don't want to listen to y'all yankies blabbering about getting together on the other side of the country. :cheers:

But I don't know how many members there are down here. It might be a quiet group. I don't suppose we have a map of member locations? That'd be a cool thing to have regardless.

Randy Curran said:
Are we running a truck club or local government?

We?

Maybe this needs to be taken to MWXJ members area. Lots of users chiming in on what is actually members business. OTOH, if it helps them decide to get their names in red.......

"We?"

Yeah We. Every person who shows up at our Michiana Meet and Greets gets a free custom t-shirt(done by me) and my bands cd. And both of our wrenchfests have been held in my garage. So yes I think WE is appropriate. I hope that didn't sound bitchy.

Sean can we leave it here. Even if this doesnt come to play, at least it will maybbe help with new members.

Randy Curran said:
"We?"

Yeah We. Every person who shows up at our Michiana Meet and Greets gets a free custom t-shirt(done by me) and my bands cd. And both of our wrenchfests have been held in my garage. So yes I think WE is appropriate. I hope that didn't sound bitchy.

Mike's point is real simple.....

If it came to needing a vote today, your opinion wouldn't matter one bit. Why, you ask? You're not a paying member. No one is doubting your generosity or desire to be part of this. But the simple fact is no red name, no choice in the matter.

Randy Curran said:
"We?"

It's more along the lines that what is being discussed is what the :NAXJA: members would like to do. You are not a member and will not get a vote in what happens until you become one. So WE is not appropriate here. Once a member your opinion counts as much, or as little, as the rest of ours. Nothing personal, it's the bylaws.

I've only seen 3-4 members wanting a michiana chapter and that is quite shy of the 15 required to get the BOD to consider the new chapter. Same for the KY OH IN chapter. Perhaps we may consider the following way to redraw the MWC: KY OH IN Lower Michigan form "Michiana" for lack of a more creative name and the remaining territory is split KS OK AR MO NE for the <insert name here> chapter and ND SD MN WI IL UP IA remain the MWC? Or possibly just have "michiana" split off from MWC if there aren't enough members for two other chapters.

kunaji said:
It's more along the lines that what is being discussed is what the :NAXJA: members would like to do. You are not a member and will not get a vote in what happens until you become one. So WE is not appropriate here. Once a member your opinion counts as much, or as little, as the rest of ours. Nothing personal, it's the bylaws.

I've only seen 3-4 members wanting a michiana chapter and that is quite shy of the 15 required to get the BOD to consider the new chapter. Same for the KY OH IN chapter. Perhaps we may consider the following way to redraw the MWC: KY OH IN Lower Michigan form "Michiana" for lack of a more creative name and the remaining territory is split KS OK AR MO NE for the <insert name here> chapter and ND SD MN WI IL UP IA remain the MWC? Or possibly just have "michiana" split off from MWC if there aren't enough members for two other chapters.

I agree with the kid.

You can't divide the chapter into three parts to support the social endevours of a few select people. You're ripping a majority of folks out of the MWC and transplanting it into your own select little geographic group. What do the folks in Ohio and Kentucky do? There clearly isn't enough of them to form separately.

Wisconsin and Illinois would survive and most others west would continue to travel to support MWC activities, but at a much reduced amount of people.

Sooner or later, the same group of folks that make up the MWC are going to be wheeling together anyways, regardless of boundaries and borders. Nate and Brian and the folks that way are still going to drive west to wheel with everyone from Indy and Illinois. Everyone from Indiana is still going to drive to Wisconsin to Carnagefest.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

OK I didn't start this to start a civil war, LOL. I know Randy and yes he is in the process of joining as well as Swiss Army. Just trying to see if the interest is there ,if so then we try to get the proper things needed according to bylaws. Not everybody wants to drive several hundred miles to wheel, if you do that great. The smaller chapters as Sean said take the NAXJA group back to more local club feel instead a Pirate atmosphere.

Last edited:
bowhunter said:
OK I didn't start this to start a civil war, LOL. I know Randy and yes he is in the process of joining as well as Swiss Army. Just trying to see if the interest is there ,if so then we try to get the proper things needed according to bylaws. Not everybody wants to drive several hundred miles to wheel, if you do that great. The smaller chapters as Sean said take the NAXJA group back to more local club feel instead a Pirate atmosphere.

No civil war here. Just a healthy discussion between members on what kind of direction we would like to see our chapter take. I would love to see more events that are local to me. So far I've traveled a minimum of 3 hours one way to come to an event. MWC covers alot of territory and I can't make most of the M&G's. I don't get butthurt about it, I just don't go if I can't make it.

I don't think anyone would be against new chapters being formed, but so far all the interest that has been shown has been by too few members to start a new chapter and so nobody doing anything more than saying "hey this would be nice". If you are serious about forming a new chapter then take ownership of the task and work towards it. Michiana has a monthly get together and several wrenchfests so far. But not as NAXJA events. This shows that if you are willing to dedicate yourself to the cause, the IN OH KY MI area could make the BOD think seriously about granting you chapterhood and you could plan NAXJA events that are more local to you. Or you could continue with the events as Michiana forum events.

w_howey said:
Mike's point is real simple.....

If it came to needing a vote today, your opinion wouldn't matter one bit. Why, you ask? You're not a paying member. No one is doubting your generosity or desire to be part of this. But the simple fact is no red name, no choice in the matter.

Precisely.

Thank you Howey.

Hale

I am interested in this thread because I want to hear everyone's perspective. I have made my personal opinion in this particular case known in the MWC BOD forum (over there) but will keep it to myself in this thread. I will state I support the formation of individual chapters within the current geographical area.

My question for those who want to form an individual chapter ... Outside of a more face to face interaction of members and potential members (because this is happening anyway), what other advantage(s) do you all see to having an individual chapter within NAXJA?

Les

Ok maybe now is not the right time for a new chapter. Sean if you would like to delete this fine. We will continue our meet and greets and wrenchfest among friends and see what happens later down the road. Thanks fro the response.

bowhunter said:
Ok maybe now is not the right time for a new chapter. Sean if you would like to delete this fine. We will continue our meet and greets and wrenchfest among friends and see what happens later down the road. Thanks fro the response.

No need to delete. Good discussion here.

Don't let this discussion scare you off. If you want it, go for it. All this thread is just some "thinking out loud" if you will.

Hale

Well I speak up.
I agree that we do need to start splitting up the MWC. I for one think that is way to big, and there are tons of advantages of splitting into smaller chapters. Just to name a few:
1. Events closer to home.
2. Meet and greets closer to home.
3. As Sean said, more tight nit group of friends.
4. More official and unofficial rides.
etc......
Another thing I wanted to bring to the table.... I don't think people should be limited to a chapter they want to be in. For example, KY/OH/IN chapter. If someone lives in N. IN and what to be apart of Mich./?/? chapter than so be it.
So how are the states going to be split? Who's(states) going to be combined with who? Anyone really sat down and put any thought into it? I like the idea of having a KY/OH/IN chapter (SE MIDWEST??).

I think this probably the biggest issue. what area should be covered. I was talking Northern IN and lower MI because thats where all of the people have been coming from at the meet and greets. We have had people from Joliet IL that are interested in staying in our group.

There does need to be defined boundry lines. (IE:state lines, interstates) Where ever you live, that's the chapter you are in. Picking and choosing what chapter you want to be in will not work.

Hale

Back