• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

show detailed pics of your LA setup

Here's mine. Finally got my camera over to the garage today.

These are all at static ride height.
lafinal%20001.jpg

Passenger-side 'upper' arm:

lafinal%20005.jpg

lafinal%20011.jpg

Axle bushing end...stock LCA bushing pressed into some DOM.

lafinal%20008.jpg

Crossmember:

lafinal%20010.jpg

lafinal%20013.jpg

lafinal%20014.jpg

This one shows the triangulation on the arms a little more clearly:

lafinal%20015.jpg

Crossmember is a little low, but that isn't permanent so I didn't want to put all that much effort into it. It's 2.75" below the frame rails, which is right around where the middle of a stocker crossmember is.

And the flex shots.

Portable RTI ramp, anyone?

lafinal%20017.jpg

lafinal%20020.jpg

That wasn't maxed out up front, but I didn't feel like re-arranging the XJ on the flatbed to get further up. Good enough for pics.

You can see here where I torched off the LCA mount. Still gotta clean that up.

lafinal%20018.jpg

The joint doing its job.

lafinal%20019.jpg

lafinal%20023.jpg

The links look really strange here, kinda neat to see how the articulation is handled differently by each arm.

lafinal%20022.jpg

lafinal%20027.jpg

The bushing isn't really deformed at all yet.

lafinal%20024.jpg

Still gotta weld some more 3x3 angle along the frame rails, and then paint the arms and frame rails, but that's really about it. Hopefully I'll get out to Rausch Creek or Paragon on Dec. 10th and get a chance to critique them a bit more.

Capt. Nemo said:
Holy hang low, Batman!

What are you going to do to raise the LCA mounts and crossmember?

It's really right about where the stock one is, just looks lower because it isn't tapered on the sides at all.

I really don't know what I'll be doing...this winter it's gettin a D60 front and NV4500 trans, among a lot of other things, so I'll have to build it around that. It'll probably end up being somewhat similar to what Crash did in his.

For me though, this project was more of a general learning experience than anything else - I had the resources to do it, and the fabrication knowledge and equipment, so my goal was to look at suspension geometry from a design standpoint, figure out something that works, and build it. Right now, I'm more concerned with testing link strength and seeing how the geometry functions, because I'll likely be reusing most of the stuff when I put the 60 up front.

Here's how it all started...

la7.jpg

Here's a few more mid-build pictures.

I used 1.625" OD x 1/4" wall DOM, which is an oddball size as far as inserts go, so I made my own.

insert2.JPG

insert6.JPG

Frame rail mods...this all started because my old crossmember got ripped off on a rock, which required some trailside welding with two car batteries and 6011 to get home...anyway, chopped out the old nuts, welded in the 3x3 angle with nuts welded on it.

long10.jpg

long7.jpg

long14.jpg

The holes were all drilled on a Bridgeport mill, both on the frame brackets and the crossmember pieces, so that I knew everything would be exactly where I needed it to be.

Clearer crossmember shot.

xmem5.jpg

i dont have time to check out all thoes links right now, but keep it up. this thread is becoming great for anyone who wants to upgrade to long arms, and dosnt know all the options and ways to do it. keep posting

Mike L said:
But not for the auto.........................

-Mike

Well, looks like I'll have to return my order because the auto is staying. I've heard URF has a huge restocking fee... hhhmmm :(

Vetteboy-
Very impressive work. Good on ya for taking on such a project with the attitude of learning. I'll be interested to see how it turns out with the D60 and new tranny.

Last edited:
Capt. Nemo said:
Vetteboy-
Very impressive work. Good on ya for taking on such a project with the attitude of learning. I'll be interested to see how it turns out with the D60 and new tranny.

Thanks dude.

It ain't perfect, but it's my first real attempt at anything like this. Hopefully it won't bend in half and rip apart the first trip out - I'm definitely gonna be trailering it this time!

Just out of curiosity...anyone ever seen a 1" shank on a 2.5" johnny joint bend? It was brought up on another forum that the JJs might be a potential spot for bending, because of the amount of threads I've got exposed. I can see that happening with a regular heim because of how the shank meets the body of the joint, but I'd think the JJ would be a bit stronger in that respect...

xjj33p3r said:
Well, I think I've got the idea of UR Fuked kits... it's starting to make sense

They're very exclusive. One a year is all we do.......

CRASH said:
They're very exclusive. One a year is all we do.......

So who in '06? Will it be the elusive auto that finally gets debuted?

-Mike

Back