• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I drill my xfer case adapter?

rang-a-stang

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, first post here. I usually live over on the full size jeep forum (IFSJA.org). :geek:

I just rebuilt my 2000 AW4 and am adding 4WD (swapped the output shaft and tail housing). I ordered a 4WD case adapter from a wrecking yard. It came with an earlier AW4 output speed sensor installed (the long narrow one, 2PPS). My Cherk is a 2000 with the shorter 4PPS output speed sensor. The 4PPS pickup is ~15mm but the hole in my adapter is about .45". Can/should I just use a 19/32" bit and drill the hole out or do I need a whole other adapter?

(also easy bonus question, should I toss my 2WD output shaft and adapter in the trash or are they useful for someone?)

Bump. Anyone else ever done this?

I can tell you going the other direction, trying to install a pre-98 thinner, longer sensor into a 98 AW4 that it bottoms out and doesn't go in all the way. I can also tell you that the post 98 sensor will trigger a pre-98 TCM, just 4x too fast. The opposite in your case won't work because the old sensors were a magnetic switch versus a pickup coil that generates voltage spikes.

So I don't have a direct answer on whether you can drill the hole out. More than likely it's in the right location, but you'd need to verify the depth would be right, and that the mounting screw is in the right spot.

OK. Copy that. I appreciate the input.
Here you can see the difference in the pickups. My pre-98 sensor is broken because it was seized in the case. I had to break it off and punch it out.
8mcI

Here is the hole before drilling
pUbu

I was able to drill it out, and also drilled and tapped the tab so I can bolt the sensor in. I used a 19/32" bit and it was pretty much perfect. I also added a slight chamfer to the hole.
sEvt

Then I mocked it all together and noticed a problem. My sensor is not lined up with the reluctor wheel.
Should there be a spacer that goes on my output shaft before my reductor? When I had it mocked together I looked into the back, inside the seal, and I noticed the pickup sits about like this inside the case in relation to the reductor
n-SUk

So I measured the location of the sensor hole in relation to the mounting flange (comparing between my original 2WD cone and this 4WD adapter). The 4WD adapter is about 1.25"
hHoF

The 2WD is about 1"
qfVX

The problem I have is there are 2 spots for the snap ring on my output shaft and they are about 1/2" apart.
IECr

If I move the reluctor that 1/2" I think it might be in the right spot but I do not see a spacer in the service manual or ASTM.

Thoughts?

I looked at the 95 FSM to check my memory. On the older style, the sensor sits aft of the reluctor which has a magnet embedded in one of the arms instead of being in directly line with it. The magnetic switch in the old sensor in about in the middle of the long part, not the tip. So the location difference makes some sense, but I was thinking the reluctor would have changed to match the fore-aft location - I guess not. Possible the reluctor would be different between 2wd and 4wd versions?

This is an awesome thread I found with quite a few pics. The I notice the reluctor ring is pinned to the second clip spot.
http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/20/main/136418/type/thread.html
In these pictures it looks like the second landing as well.
Ebay part

With that in mind I think one of two things:
1) >98 the adapter and output shaft were slightly different/shorter or
2) there is a different reluctor ring between 2WD and 4WD.
Either way, I need to move my reluctor ring after to the second snap ring landing. There was a spacer between the reluctor ring and the speedo gear in my 2WD configuration but it was about 1" long. I will trim it and put it on first, then the reluctor ring, then the snap ring.

Fingers crossed this works!

Long story short, the reluctor rings are different between 2WD and 4WD. If anyone else ever does this, you DO NEED the 4WD reluctor ring when you swap output shafts.

Back