• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should airlines charge by your weight?

i wore a Slayer t-shirt at an airport once. That was the first and last time i will do that. i spent more time at the checkpoints and "random" checks than i spent in flight on the plane.

lancey3 said:
I eat all day long. 5' 7" and skinny as a pencil. I weighed myself on graduation day for kicks and I was 99 lbs.
Thats just gay.

Smittty9785 said:
trying to smuggle something? Why you worried there is no security checkpoint? Ive been pulled aside a couple of time. Makes me look like an ass but its for everyones protection and i appreciate what they do. Sometime they miss a few things and we have all seen what that does.
Every time since 9/11 I have flown I have been "randomly selected", it gets old. In fact when I scan my passport it pops up some sort of security thing.

mcraindog said:
can't say it's discrimination....EXERCISE

I don't exercise as much as I should - chronic pain is a bitch (too much trauma over the last 20 years. Want a list?)

When I did exercise, I was rather larger. Add 25#, two inches across the shoulders, an inch and a half around the collar, drop four inches around the waist, and add five inches around each thigh. That dog won't hunt. (Fighting weight was 275#, with a peak weight of 288#. Under 10% body fat the whole time.)

The simple fact is that some of us actually are wired to be quite large. My CO came from a family where 300# (6' 7", 9%) was the "little" brother - all were rather fit, and could wrestle a bear into submission. Even being out of shape as I am, I'm still running 255# at about 15-16%. A "comfortable" weight for me would be 240-245# - between bone density and muscle density, I look like I'm down around 190# or so at that weight (I can not float in fresh water. Barely in salt water. My orthopaedist sez the last time he saw something that blocked X-rays like I do, it was made of metal.) Some of us are wired to be heavy - see my "normal variation" immediately above.

Being "grossly overweight" does not necessarily mean you are "fat" or "obese" - it means that you don't fit the preconceived average, and can still be quite fit. Hell, look at linebackers...

However, for the people who are "grossly overweight and/or morbidly obese," I think they should pay for two seats so that they - and the people around them - have enough room for comfort (physical and psychological.) I've always been able to fit into a single commercial seat (just,) even at 288#. My issue is legroom.

Granted, that's no issue for my wife - but she's half my size. (I've always been attracted to small women - especially small, stocky women. I've no idea why...)

But, if you're going to spill rolls into my seat, don't get bent at me because you're too damned cheap to buy an extra seat and I try to keep you out of my seat because I need all of it. Or I'll kick out a port and use your fat arse to keep the cabin pressurised when I stick you in the open hole...

I try to walk about a mile a day, but that doesn't always happen....

I to have some severe pain issues that prevents me from doing a lot of the necessary excersize.

I have three discs out in my spine plus Bursitis in my left shoulder....

I'm down to one original hip bone...

Man, you guys are too young to be all beat up.
As for the fat people pricing, No way, wont work. Its too much of a PITA to fly now, could you imagine trying to weigh everyone as they buy tickets. There would be people in the restrooms or huddled around the trash cans trying to barf up lunch for a cheaper ticket. Then you'ld have to sit beside some fat ass with puke breath.

Hypnotik Robot said:
i think obese people should have overweight surcharges

I think skinny people should ride in the big "la-z-boy" laps of obese people like lap puppets.

Hypnotik Robot said:
that's just disgusting

But funny as hell..... now I gotta clean my display off.....

Smittty9785 said:
trying to smuggle something? Why you worried there is no security checkpoint? Ive been pulled aside a couple of time. Makes me look like an ass but its for everyones protection and i appreciate what they do. Sometime they miss a few things and we have all seen what that does.

If everyone on those 4 flights had a box cutter, or a pocket knife or some other type device, those events wouldnt have happened.....

JNickel101 said:
If everyone on those 4 flights had a box cutter, or a pocket knife or some other type device, those events wouldnt have happened.....
yea, might not have happen then but it would have 10 years before. You wwould just have tweekers that hate life go ruin another couple thousand peoples lives. "I hate my life so im gonna go take it out on other people. blah blah blah," shat the hell up. it was just a mater of time of it hapening. hate to say.

Back