• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should airlines charge by your weight?

McQue

NAXJA Forum User
Cost of fuel is going up to stay...

So, should heavier people pay more to fly than lighter people? I think so.

Should lighter people pay the same as a heavy person? I don't think so.

If heavy people have to pay more, is that discrimination, or is it discrimination when lighter people pay the same fuel costs when it costs more to fly a heavier person?

I thinks its discrimination against the lighter person.

If a bigger person takes up more space on the plane, should they be charged more?

I think they should pay more for their weight and be given a seat that accomodates them.

What do you think?

( BTW ...I am 6 ft and 235 pounds if you are wondering)

I think that will open up a huge can of worms as far as disrimination from all of the bleeding harts. I think that if they can't fit in one seat then they should be charged for 2 tickets. Me personally I don't think that it's descrimination because for the most part people can control whether or not they are fat. You can't control the color of your skin. etc. etc.

BTW. I'm fat. 340lbs.

The ACLU lawyers or a similar group would get a few researchers to do the math out. Total weight of the plane empty and the three crew members, calculate the thrust needed to fly and from that the fuel consumption. Then they could add in the average weight of passengers and lugage and recalculate thrust and fuel consumption. The result would probably not be very much, it would cost the airlines more money to fight it in court than to just fly the fatties around. They could just hide the extra price somewhere else though.

~Alex

Mixed feelings, here.

I think it's going to be more a matter of how much space you take up than how much you mass - airliners are designed using an "average" weight per seat (much like elevators...) plus a margin of safety, since there are quite a few people who blow the average (6'3" 255# here. I need to lose a little - getting back down to 240-245# would make me happy. No, I don't take up two seats, but I take up all the legroom in front of me and I have fairly wide shoulders...)

Yes, if you travel with a lot of luggage, you should pay extra. Travelling light is an acquired skill - I spent about five years helping my wife acquire it (I can live for a month out of a duffelbag.)

If your arse don't fit in one seat, you should be required to buy two and use two - for the comfort of the people around you. If you can fit in one seat without being absolutely huge (say, 300# and a 36" waist...) there's no real reason to make you pay extra. (Fortunately for me, I tended to fly MAC when I was running a fighting weight of 275-288#...)

Having been seated next to beached whales, I can definitely get behind the idea of a "fat bastid tax" of making you buy another seat - it's not for your comfort. It's for the comfort of people next to you.

The main reason I don't fly commercial anymore? Not enough legroom. Even as a knuckledragger, I still have to deal with "Can you move your knees?" from the guy in front of me. No, I can't move my damned knees, we're talking capability here, not willya/wontya. Just accept the fact that I'm as uncomfortable as you are and suck it up. If I just have to fly, I try to get a bulkhead or exit seat, but you can't get those in advance anymore. They have to "see you to make sure you can help people out" - but when I've gotten on the plane, those seats usually end up filled by some five-foot-tall, eighty-five-pound woman and her two children under ten... Funny - I thought that was illegal anymore? At least for the exit aisle...

Should oversize people pay extra? I'm inclined to think so. However, the issue would then be applying it fairly. There are some people who are just "built big" (me, the OP, the Scottish National Footy team, caber tossers, ...) who can't help it, and shouldn't have to pay extra for genetic predisposition.

Then, there are the people who should have been on a diet for the last five or ten years - that's the problem. If you've got a 50-inch waist for no good reason, you should damned well have to buy two seats. Or maybe walk/swim to your destination? That should help...

This leaves aside the whole issue that does give me headaches - the yoyos running airport insecurity. It was farcical before, and it's gotten worse. I avoid airports wherever possible anymore - I'm allergic to idiocy, bureaucracy, and asinine regulations (they tend to make me break out in fits of violence.)

Anyhow, if you've got someone who would spill over into the next seat, having them pay a "fat bastard tax" of buying that seat should help. Make the seatbelts a little more extensible - you'd fold up the armrest to make one wide seat, use the outer end of the seatbelt from each side, and everyone is more comfortable as a result. Requiring the purchase of aisle seats would be a good step - most of us can't "suck it in" far enough to let them out when they need to run to the head...

It should be up to the airline company. It's their plane, they are a business, they make business decisions. It's not a "Right" to fly on airline x. Fly on another if you don't like their policies.
The market place will adjust. An airline that thinks they can make a buck by not charging for overweight people will appear and life will go on.
If the government won't allow business to operate how they see fit then everybodies rate will go up.

FREEDOM is for business as well as individuals.

I can't imagine the real cost difference is all the much...

But, think of the logistics of selling tickets... how is Orbitz.com going to confirm my weight to know how much my ticket should be?

What if I buy a ticket and then lose 50 pounds before I fly... do I get a discount? Or the other way... will I have to pay extra when I arrive?

And, how would the airlines even begin to know how much to charge... they would have to predict total passanger weitht to come up with a base ticket cost... instead of the already difficult task of predicting total passangers.

absolutely they should. when you can't sell the seat next to a fat slob because their rolls are spilling over, they should pay more.

I'd like to see an airport looking like a butcher shop's priceboard:

New York: 50 cents/pound
Las Vegas: 15 cents/pound

hell yea charge for weight. Im 6' and weight 150lbs soaking wet. I think i should get some money back because the 5'4" 312lb lady behind me is gonna make the plane go down.

I weigh 102 lbs; bring it on.

At the very least, they should have "childrens" tickets. I always had an issue with the fact that my 3 1/2 year old daughter's ticket costs the same as 5'4 312lb fat lady's.

And I agree with charging for baggage. The last few time's I've flown, I get away with taking a backpack. Then you have Joe or Jane "business person" with their 3 checked bags and 3 carry ons (including a garment bag and a rolling suitcase that take up the entire overhead bin). A$$holes...

lancey3 said:
I weigh 102 lbs; bring it on.
Come here, I'm gonna eat ya! I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain. Get in my belly!

My solution was I just stopped flying, unless it's an emergency. I prefer amtrak, no security theater to go thru, I get to keep my pocket knife and mini leatherman without getting arrested for carrying weapons of mass destruction.
In the 80's and 90's I was a million mile a year flier for work and fun, I have not set foot in an airport in 2 years and have no plans to. Trains are much more civilized.

You should NOT be charged by your body weight, but you SHOULD be charged for overweight luggage.

That skirts the Weight discrimination issue and will teach people to pack light....

RichP said:
My solution was I just stopped flying, unless it's an emergency. I prefer amtrak, no security theater to go thru, I get to keep my pocket knife and mini leatherman without getting arrested for carrying weapons of mass destruction.
In the 80's and 90's I was a million mile a year flier for work and fun, I have not set foot in an airport in 2 years and have no plans to. Trains are much more civilized.
trying to smuggle something? Why you worried there is no security checkpoint? Ive been pulled aside a couple of time. Makes me look like an ass but its for everyones protection and i appreciate what they do. Sometime they miss a few things and we have all seen what that does.

Smittty9785 said:
trying to smuggle something? Why you worried there is no security checkpoint? Ive been pulled aside a couple of time. Makes me look like an ass but its for everyones protection and i appreciate what they do. Sometime they miss a few things and we have all seen what that does.
I'd think you'd be the smuggler...6' 150lbs? You smuggling crack?!?! :D

Ba-Riedo said:
Try eating the 'American' way tomorrow.

-Alex

I eat all day long. 5' 7" and skinny as a pencil. I weighed myself on graduation day for kicks and I was 99 lbs.

Smittty9785 said:

Nope, but it's nobody $#$#n business what I have in my pockets. Yes, I'm one of 'those' who prefer rights over security.

Back