• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Mounting Questions

I had the same problem. I ended up just using a grade 8 bolt and welding it below the coil pad.

I also wanted it double sheer, but it was how the TnT kit originally came, and I dont think I will put enough stress on that bolt to break it.

edit: Nevermind, I see your coil bucket is farther forward. Side note, looks like your trackbar mount might hit your coil. Does it?

I had the same problem. I ended up just using a grade 8 bolt and welding it below the coil pad.

I also wanted it double sheer, but it was how the TnT kit originally came, and I dont think I will put enough stress on that bolt to break it.

edit: Nevermind, I see your coil bucket is farther forward. Side note, looks like your trackbar mount might hit your coil. Does it?

How far out from the point the bolt is welded does the shock mount though?
Thanks,
Billy

What are the draw backs to mounting the shock to the control arm?

Thanks,
Billy
i was wondering this as well, im thinking it would be something similar to mounting limit straps to the actual arm. i think it would increase the load put on the shock. think of holding a hammer horizontal with your hand close to the head, and then again at the end of the handle.

i think you would want the shock as close to the axle as possible, but i could be completely wrong :dunno:

:D

i was wondering this as well, im thinking it would be something similar to mounting limit straps to the actual arm. i think it would increase the load put on the shock. think of holding a hammer horizontal with your hand close to the head, and then again at the end of the handle.

i think you would want the shock as close to the axle as possible, but i could be completely wrong
dunno.gif

:D

And if it the shock isn't centered perfectly over the control arm (and even if it is maybe), won't it try to spin the arm, possibly putting stress on the bolt and bushing and stuff? :dunno:
Billy

How far out from the point the bolt is welded does the shock mount though?
Thanks,
Billy
1/8'' for a washer.

This is from the T&T site:
100_8548.jpg

And if it the shock isn't centered perfectly over the control arm (and even if it is maybe), won't it try to spin the arm, possibly putting stress on the bolt and bushing and stuff? :dunno:
Billy
Even if the shock is centered, since you are using flex joints on both sides of the arm, the arm will flop to one side or another on compression.

There was a thread in the Pirate Desert racing section about that mounting, but I cant find it right now. :dunno:

After thinking about it, I don't think that guy understood the question. 1" isn't very wide for a heim. I think he was thinking how long the bolt would have to be
dunno.gif

I think I've got a new idea anyway. I've just gotta make sure I use the right size bolt since I'm running temporary shocks until the 7100s get here.

Thanks for all the advise thus far.
Billy

So... after much thought at how to avoid it, I ended up making a single sheer mount. Instead of welding a bolt in place though, I welded a nut. I did this for several reasons: When/if I bend the bolt, it's easily replaced, it doesn't matter what width the shock end is, and if I want to make it double sheer, I should be able to fairly easily (after I know the mounting width).
Hopefully it's alright.
dunno.gif
Here's how it turned out...
33nzx38.jpg

23sivjk.jpg

2w7ffoz.jpg

29qobw4.jpg

Billy

I just read through this thread and I'm questioning all the suggestions to mount perpendicular to the axle. Mounting perpindicular is the right way to go for crawling especially if your supsension is going to be experienceing a lot of side to side articulation type forces on the shock.

I'm assuming that since this question was posted in the JeepSpeed Prerunner section that the intended use of this XJ is for high speed desert type terrain. This terrain exhibits a lot less articulation forces on the suspension and more symmetrical up and down forces that are parallel with the link/control arms pivot. Since most of the articulation type side to side forces are limited by a sway bar and the terrain, most of the shocks pivoting movement will be parallel with where the control arm/ link mounts to the unibody. This is why on most JeepSpeeds have a lower shock mount similar to the first picture that shows parallel to the axle.

If you look at all other high speed desert type vehicles you'll notice the mount is always parallel to the control arm/link's main pivot point. Since an A arm pivots perpendicular to the side of the axle, the shocks is mounted perpendicular as well. Since a rear link of a vehicle pivots parallel to the rear axle, the shock is mounted parallel to the axle. The same goes for XJ's since the control arms pivot parallel to the axle ( for the most part... Yeah the suspension like to swing to the side), the shocks should be mounted parallel as well.

My 2 err... 5 cents worth.

-Randy

all my shock mounts front and rear are like the second pic(but much uglier:)), parallel to the axle, this is how most of the jeepspeeds I have crawled around under are set up.

Work is looking awesome billy!

Back