• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sheared off motor mount...but cracked part of block....pics

What were you doing at the time of this breakage?

Just driving normally. And I drive like a grandpa. Haven't wheeled it in almost a year.

But for the record, I have an incredibly stiff suspension and the jeep has seen it's fair share of long distance offroading...so I am sure it was just weakened from over the years.

you could try welding a nut to it or you may be able to cut it out with a torch. I heard that you can cut broken off header bolts from cylinder heads with a torch cause it will not cut through the cast steel. it works on cylinder heads, but not sure about a engine block, maybe somebody else will chime in.
Like melt it out??? That sounds scary

Just driving normally. And I drive like a grandpa. Haven't wheeled it in almost a year.

But for the record, I have an incredibly stiff suspension and the jeep has seen it's fair share of long distance offroading...so I am sure it was just weakened from over the years.

Wierd, although this is more rare I am interested to see what each was doing at the time of the breakage. I know my friend broke a motor mount when he got yanked out of the mud by a semi.

Wierd, although this is more rare I am interested to see what each was doing at the time of the breakage. I know my friend broke a motor mount when he got yanked out of the mud by a semi.
Well, when it happened, I was like 'wtf?? never heard of this before!' However, after searching this board and JeepForum, I have found that it is actually surprisingly common. There was even a thread 'Who hasn't sheared off their motor mount'

It was news to me

I think a lot of em are due to long-neglected motor mount bushings.

Not saying yours was. But I'm sure mine was...

Robert

So does it appear that the real weakness is the mount itself or the bolts that hold the mount to the block?
I would say it is the design altogether. The shape of the bracket is like a lever and all the force is applied to three weak bolts. More mounting points over a larger surface area (like the aftermarket ones) are the real solution.

And in my case, the motor mounts weren't to blame. I changed them out as routine maint about a year ago. The ones I took out were fine, just old and I was working in the area so figured I might as well.

Back