• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

service techs caught on camera joyriding a customers car

Big effing deal. A sports car that was driven at WOT??? O NO!!!
WTF do you expect when you take your sports car to a body shop, of course they will joy ride in it.
If you don't want people to drive your car, learn to work on it yourself, you'll save yourself thousands of dollars in labor during the life of the car.
High end dealerships are less likely to purely joy ride for the fun of it, but every shop you go to there will be a road test at the end.

I'll admit I'm guilty. I worked at a Jag dealership and someone traded in an '05 Subaru WRX STI. Every single one of the techs that worked there under the age of 40- including myself, took it for a joy ride after it was traded in. Who wouldn't drive a car they've always wanted to drive? Honestly.
Im sorry, but it's the sad truth.

Techs get fired for doing stuff like that in the places I have worked. Unless the repairs are performance related a good tech will never need to go WOT on a test drive and even then it is not necessary to abuse a customers car.

In all of my years as an auto tech, that sort of crap would NEVER be tolerated. Maybe the younger kids think being trusted with a customers car means that they have some sort of right to flog the car. NOT SO. Grow up guys. WOT is different than flogging... the video demonstrated a good amount of flogging. NOT cool.

I have driven many high end cars in my day. I only remember flogging one of them... and older Porsche that the owner complained of "thumping noises" on corners at high speed. We went on a high speed run, (yup, with the owner)... I heard/felt the issue. Back to the shop, up on the lift... the front end was damned near rusted off. I was pretty glad to be alive at that point.

I Germany when I worked at a GM stealership, EVERY car went on the dyno with the Meister when we where done. Every car got to WOT (does not mean red-lining it!), shifting, braking, etc... It was then checked again for any codes, all mechanicals, etc... Some cars had to be road tested for drivability complaints. None were flogged or abused.

I have worked in many shops. I have worked for some suspect people. That happens, so I can understand how some people here might think it is OK to do that. The fact remains, it is NOT ok to flog other peoples property. Hopefully those that currently think it is OK will learn what is right and what is wrong before it is too late.

Of course you can.
I counter nominate your renomination of my nomination. :D

:huh: You crazy Bastard!:roflmao:........................ anyways I understand that sometimes a WOT test is necessary but did you see the driveshaft posted by the OP. You don't get that from getting on it in a normal WOT test. What happened to the guy with the C6 was just horrible and he should be able to sue the holy dog sh*t out of that company!

:huh: You crazy Bastard!:roflmao:........................ anyways I understand that sometimes a WOT test is necessary but did you see the driveshaft posted by the OP. You don't get that from getting on it in a normal WOT test. What happened to the guy with the C6 was just horrible and he should be able to sue the holy dog sh*t out of that company!

it was a girl... I think her name is Robin

there is a lot of screwing around that carolina auto masters does. Non one in NC takes their cars their anymore. All Jeff Creech is good for is screwing up computer code. after the incident, he offered as little as possible to make her happy, and he was pretty resolute that his shop would do all the work to fix it

BOT ... I left my XJ with a tech once, with the miles on zero. Got it back with 275 miles on it. Turns out that his girlfriend was driving it back & forth to work every day for ... who knows how long? The only thing that prevented me from whipping her entire ass (I too am female, no worries there) was the fact that the guy was president of our Jeep club, she did it behind his back (I think) and I didn't want that sort of resentment poisoning the club atmosphere. But I did give that biatch a piece of my mind - and then some. She never touched my Jeep again.

it was a girl... I think her name is Robin

there is a lot of screwing around that carolina auto masters does. Non one in NC takes their cars their anymore. All Jeff Creech is good for is screwing up computer code. after the incident, he offered as little as possible to make her happy, and he was pretty resolute that his shop would do all the work to fix it

IgotanXJ is a chick :confused:

Big effing deal. A sports car that was driven at WOT??? O NO!!!
WTF do you expect when you take your sports car to a body shop, of course they will joy ride in it.

does not =

Igotanxj said:
If you take your car in for almost any kind of drivability work whether its cooling, engine, transmission, suspension, driveline, it requires a test drive after it gets worked on. Nothing tests the integrity of a car like full load through the RPM range. If the car is going to overheat, it will overheat after a full load run. Techs don't want to sit in traffic for an hour to wait to see if it will overheat. Likewise for tranmissions, engines, etc. The major point here is that a good tech will give a car a thorough look over of the car before he gives it back to the customer. Part of that includes WOT. That doesn't mean WOT up to 100mph through all gears, but yes, WOT maybe up to 40-50 mph given it would be in a safe surrounding to do so, like maybe an onramp or open road.

Last edited:
I'm not condoning joy-riding because that is messed up to do that in a customers car, but seriously, get real.

I'll admit I'm guilty. I worked at a Jag dealership and someone traded in an '05 Subaru WRX STI. Every single one of the techs that worked there under the age of 40- including myself, took it for a joy ride after it was traded in. Who wouldn't drive a car they've always wanted to drive? Honestly.

Sorry, you're still nominated.

Back