• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selectable for D30? Wasteful?

I've got a HF battery cable compressor, it's slow but it'll fill the tires. I'm on the fence about converting my AC compressor, I'll probably go for it given we only get a month or two up here where you really need AC.

Like I said, in retrospect I'd be just as inclined to go ARB as I was to go OX.

If 2.5" is giant I see your problem. But maybe you consider that size to be giant. <cough cough>
i'd rather operate a button, than yank on a lever.

wait, are we still talking about lockers?

Not advisable on snowy and icy roads as a clutch type Limited slip could cause the front end to push.

Agreed. I have ECTEDs both front and rear (with an NP242, as it happens), and some front-end grab is noticeable under certain situations. As you'd expect, it's more pronounced in FT4WD than in 2WD; a lot of steering lock can cause some hop from the front axle as the LSD grabs. It's usually not a huge problem, but it is definitely something to be aware of.

The two times I've run this locker in the snow have been in about eight inches to a foot of powder on top of packed snow/ice on the trail, so can't really comment about its on-road behaviour in those conditions. I'm sure I'll get to find out all about it in the next few weeks...

FWIW, I'm considering changing the front ECTED for an Electrac when I go to an HP30 - since gears and the locker won't carry over from the LP30 anyway, it'd be a good time to do it and have a fully-open front when unlocked. Like I said, the ECTED's not bad and I'm happy with how it's performed so far (it's surprising what two LSDs will get you through in FT4WD), but would go with something fully-open when unlocked for the front axle if I were doing it over.

FWIW, I'm considering changing the front ECTED for an Electrac when I go to an HP30 - since gears and the locker won't carry over from the LP30 anyway, it'd be a good time to do it and have a fully-open front when unlocked. Like I said, the ECTED's not bad and I'm happy with how it's performed so far (it's surprising what two LSDs will get you through in FT4WD), but would go with something fully-open when unlocked for the front axle if I were doing it over.

locker should carry over LP -> HP unless you are changing gear ratios past the carrier break at the same time

locker should carry over LP -> HP unless you are changing gear ratios past the carrier break at the same time

True - what would've been a better statement would've been, "I'm planning on going over to an Electrac since the HP30 will likely need to be opened up for gears anyway, and it would make sense to do it at that time."

True - what would've been a better statement would've been, "I'm planning on going over to an Electrac since the HP30 will likely need to be opened up for gears anyway, and it would make sense to do it at that time."

Third time's the charm: for 'Electrac', substitute 'Eaton E-locker'. I hate this damned cold; it's killing my concentration.

It's been over a year now and my D30 (HP) has help up great with the 4.56 gears and 33x10.5s. I did throw Superior chromo shafts into it (27 spline) to match my 27 spline ARB and a Ruff Stuff cover to keep the rocks at bay.

I, too, have the 242 xfer case as this is also my DD and we have snow on the road for 6 months out of the year.

IMO, if you're going selectable I would do it in the rear. Save your tires.
No need,auto-lockers are invisible on the street(if you can behave)!

No need,auto-lockers are invisible on the street(if you can behave)!

An auto-locker out back is not invisible.

I don't know how some of you guys drive, but if I'm trying to get out of the way in a 4-way stop (turning left or right), one of my rear tires always barks. And then there are times (driving to school in Boston, etc) where I just need to get out of the way quickly and I chirp a rear tire. Not to mention being on the highway going around a slow bend, you have to either stay on the gas or stay off the gas. The sudden torque application locks and unlocks the locker causing a little torque steer. Not enough to be afraid of, but definitely enough to throw you off if you don't expect it.

An auto-locker out FRONT on the other hand IS invisible on the street because you're never applying power to it, therefore it's always unlocked and ratcheting.

Selectable would definitely be nice, but I ran out of cash.

My '93 has Truetracs and my '01 has ARBs.

The Truetracs made a noticeable difference and I still really like them. It was a tough decision for me to go to ARB on the 'new' Jeep but I am glad I did.

If the Jeep is 95% road rig you will see more benefit from the Truetracs on a day to day basis particular if you have a 242 and use FT. If your Jeep is driven frequently offroad, is driven in 2wd on the street, or rides on a trailer to the trail, then spend the extra on ARBs and enjoy having locked differentials when you want them.

Pick one!Log Corral is always fun when wet!

Last edited:
Never been, but would love to have someone lead me thru.
BTW, this is not some macho-ego deal, I have been running the same trails, and would love exposure to some new ones.
Have you run Willow Springs?

Guess we should take this to private messages now.

My old roommate had 37's on his TJ and the D30 never complained. The D35 however......not so much!

Back