• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sealing up new floor

katarn444

NAXJA Forum User
I have been installing a new floor in my xj for quite some time now. I am just about done and wanted everyone's opinion on keeping my new floor safe(from cancer that is). On the inside should I paint everything with por-15 first then seam seal? On the outside should I paint everything with por-15 first then seam seal, then undercoat? I was not sure if you seam seal before or after the paint.

Any other suggestions?
Katarn

Id give all your parts a good coat of POR, seal them up tight, then undercoat. Done it that way for years and still dont have any leaks...or rust!

For the outside, I would POR, then a couple or three coats of Rust-Oleum. Then maybe rust-proofing. Do NOT "undercoat." That stuff traps moisture between the coating and the supstrate, and actually promotes rust. It's real purpose was sound deadening, not rust prevention.

I think I did a pretty good job but there are some spots that have 1/8 to 1/4 gap. The por-15 is not going to fill them in. If I feel ambisious I will weld them closed but not sure yet.
The factory undercoat has held up fairly well that is why I was going to use it again. Most of the underside of the floor that is still factory still had undercoating on it.
What about a bed liner product instead of the undercoat? Also do you guys think it is fine to leave the por-15 as a topcoat inside the truck? I am putting the carpet back in so I do not have to worry about uv protection.

Thanks for the thoughts
katarn

some pictures
370.jpg

367.jpg

366.jpg

365.jpg

364.jpg

363.jpg

btw, uv won't harm POR, it will just discolor it.. so you don't really have to topcoat it if you don't want to

katarn444 said:
I think I did a pretty good job but there are some spots that have 1/8 to 1/4 gap. The por-15 is not going to fill them in. If I feel ambisious I will weld them closed but not sure yet.
The factory undercoat has held up fairly well that is why I was going to use it again. Most of the underside of the floor that is still factory still had undercoating on it.
What about a bed liner product instead of the undercoat? Also do you guys think it is fine to leave the por-15 as a topcoat inside the truck? I am putting the carpet back in so I do not have to worry about uv protection.

Thanks for the thoughts
katarn

some pictures
370.jpg
Son of a bit¢h, that's the same place my rust hole is, except mine is twice as big. If I can get mine cleaned up like that I'll be thrilled.

That was one of the most difficult to weld in. I could not get enough light to see, my head with helmet would not fit. I pretty much had to do it blind. If you have that hole how bad is the rest of the truck?

katarrn

ajpulley said:
Son of a bit¢h, that's the same place my rust hole is, except mine is twice as big. If I can get mine cleaned up like that I'll be thrilled.

katarn444 said:
That was one of the most difficult to weld in. I could not get enough light to see, my head with helmet would not fit. I pretty much had to do it blind. If you have that hole how bad is the rest of the truck?

katarrn
The rest is OK. But that one is bad, part of the hole is over the top of the sub-frame rail. The sub-frame rail looks pretty good though. I think what happened was once the small hole got there, water and road salt got in and sat there making it worse. I'm looking at mig welders now so in the spring I can fix it. I'll probably have to strip it out so I can get in there on my stomach so I can see what I am doing. I can't weld without seeing it.

You might be able to get it cheaper, call por-15 up and ask where the local retailer is. If they have one nearby it will be a little cheaper.
I personally do not like the stuff. But I have it and am going to use it.

Katarn

I've used POR-15 but came across Zero Rust and like it better(just my opinion). I would make sure everything is good and clean then apply wichever one you choose. Apply a few thin coats over entire area, inside and out, I topcoated mine with bedliner, inside and out.
I will be replacing entire floor pan(s) in the spring and will repaet this process.
As for undercoat, I originally used it and it failed, could have been cheap stuff though, I'm gonna stick with the bedliner.

Back