• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Screw Savings!

xjackel

NAXJA Forum User
Intro: This is my first post, so I'll be polite and introduce myself (for those of you tired of intros, skip to the bottom). I'm 20 and have owned nothing but jeeps since my first vehicle, which was 93 zj with a 318. I worked summers since I was 13 to save up for it, and I am proud to say I paid for the whole thing myself ($3,300 is a lot to save up when you make 5.15 an hour). 6 weeks after I got it, I was driving along, minding my own business, and a damn guard rail jumped out right in front of me! The jeep was totaled, I had minimum coverage insurance, and to make the night even better the pigs came and wrote me a ticket. :rtm: (This was my first experience with police and one of the many reasons I still hate them to this day) As much as I enjoyed baling hay in the summers to pay for it, I was heart-broken. So, I went back to work and and after 6 months had enough money to buy my first xj. It was an 89' with 230,000 on the clock I bought for 550 bucks to get me through until I could afford something else. I fell in love soon after I got it. It could go through mud deeper than my friends lifted chevy trucks that they paid over 10x as much for. They were pretty embarrassed when my rust bucket had to pull them out of the holes that it just went through. I ended up owning this for well over a year, and I drove drove the hell out of it wherever I went. When I finally had enough money to buy a nice car, I decided to go with another xj. I found a 97' with 114k that was super clean, and I am still driving it to this day. Currently I am a poor college student and I came across a little bit of money. I made friends with guy who's step-dad is the president of a major tire retailer, and he told me that he could get me tires and rims next to cost. I figured, why replace the stock tires when i can jack it up and put some 32s in there? So, instead of saving my money for an emergency, I said screw responsibility I'm going to make this jeep bad-ass! My friend helped me put a 4.5 lift kit on, which turned into a 25 hour nightmare. Everything was seized up, and we ended up breaking the nuts welded inside the frame for the leaf springs. But, now it's done, the tires are on and I couldn't be happier.

My question is, I want to get it re-geared and I cannot find a trustworthy mechanic near Indianapolis that will do it. Does anyone know somebody I can trust? All of the shops I've been to, the mechanic doesn't even know what he's talking about. I'd like to think I know a lot about vehicles, but I'm not about to mess with something as precise as gears, and I'm definitely not going to let the idiots I talked even change my oil.

Sorry, don't know any good mechanics. I believe that you can study up enough to do it yourself. You seem pretty capable of learning things and are not afraid to try. Or get axles that are already geared up the way you want. Study up on how to figure out the gear ratios and find some on craigslist. I think the 2.5 liter axles are what you would want.

I have been studying up a lot, and the more and more I read about, the more apprehensive I become. It's a daily driver, so if I pull out the axles and run into another nightmare like the lift kit situation, I would be immobile. If I can't find anyone who's done this and I can rely on, I probably will end up doing it myself though.

First.. welcome...

Second we have some members near Indy, that I'm sure can steer you the right direction...

Third... take it easy slinging offensive names at any singular profession. We have several police officers that are members on NAXJA. I'm sure you wouldn't want to offend anyone you may be wheeling next to at a run.

I know BrianHo13 sets gears in is offtime for some cash. I am not sure what he charges but I will let him set mine once I can afford to buy some. He lives in Southern Indiana.

Welcome to NAXJA

Thats who I was gonna suggest!

Its about an hour and a half to Brian's from there.

Depending on your time crunch I may be able to help. I've done my share, last guy I setup for is Ashylarry from this forum. I would only be able to work on it over the weekends though. PM ashy for a reference if you would like, I live on the se side of indy. PM me if you would like

I can help, but can't work for free. I do have dana 30 setup bearings you can borrow though.

there are lots of guys in the bloomington/bedford area that can set gears. and they know what theyre doing

I think the 2.5 liter axles are what you would want.

Those come with 4.10 gears. Pretty common swap. If you've already had everything unbuttoned once for the lift, things should go easier for you second time around. And your efforts for the lift are pretty normal. It took about 30 man hours for a buddy and me to do just a budget boost on my Heep. Had the same problem with the weld nuts for the upper shackle bolts. Regearing is quite a bit more invloved than an axle swap as long as the axles you get have good bearings and what not. Food for thought. Welcome to NAXJA.

Magyver lives in Indiana, I am sure he will be glad to help you once he pulls away from the "Hog Trough".....

:roflmao:
Who by the way is a COP!! :D He lives up in Ft Wayne. Nice fella. He helped me get my junk ready for Winterfest many moons ago when I was still quite active with XJs. He has a buddy that is quite good at gears, and I'm sure he could put the two of you together.

Funny how the first post turned me off to this thread, i finally have read it...

One person doesn't speak for an entire profession...

That said, if you want to make something happen in the Fort, my buddy Seth, sets gears, and he used to set the gears in the factory at the local Dana plant, so many of the factory gears in your d30's and d35s were set by him. I can put you in contact with him directly, he's had people from as far away as Chicago drive here for gear changes, I'm not sure what he charges for gear changes, but its very affordable and he uses my shop from time to time (which I don't charge anyone for, so I'm not making anything off the deal, Seth's been a friend for a long time and we help each other out).

That said, I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone else that's offered or posted here, just saw a few posts about Seth, so I thought I'd offer the information up.

and scooby...long time no see

mac 'first impressions...use your dipstick :) 'gyvr

I need to clarify who I was referring to when I said "pigs". I work in security part-time, and so do a lot of off-duty cops. I deal with cops and don't mind them a bit, my favorite guy to work with is retired chief and all his on-duty buddies come and hang out for hours at a time. I love coming to work and hearing all their crazy stories (there's a lot of down time in the week-end security business). There is a difference between cops and pigs though, just like there is a difference between white people and white trash. The pigs I am talking about are the only three full-time officers in the town where I use to live. They have an amazing reputation of harassing, one got fired for drunk driving, and the chief just stepped down one day. It was a leave or you get fired kind of deal (news travels fast in small towns). These three rightfully deserve the title of pigs, their nothing but a counter productive function of the community, instead of serve and protect, it was harass and patronize. So if anyone is a cop, a cop fan, or a cop lover, I apologize. If anyone out their is one of those three pigs and got offended.......GOOD! If your the one that got a D.U.I., me and a lot of people I know back home would love to teach you the meaning of justice.:twak:

I need to clarify who I was referring to when I said "pigs". I work in security part-time, and so do a lot of off-duty cops. I deal with cops and don't mind them a bit, my favorite guy to work with is retired chief and all his on-duty buddies come and hang out for hours at a time. I love coming to work and hearing all their crazy stories (there's a lot of down time in the week-end security business). There is a difference between cops and pigs though, just like there is a difference between white people and white trash. The pigs I am talking about are the only three full-time officers in the town where I use to live. They have an amazing reputation of harassing, one got fired for drunk driving, and the chief just stepped down one day. It was a leave or you get fired kind of deal (news travels fast in small towns). These three rightfully deserve the title of pigs, their nothing but a counter productive function of the community, instead of serve and protect, it was harass and patronize. So if anyone is a cop, a cop fan, or a cop lover, I apologize. If anyone out their is one of those three pigs and got offended.......GOOD! If your the one that got a D.U.I., me and a lot of people I know back home would love to teach you the meaning of justice.:twak:

you have 23 posts...

between this thread and another thread or two, you've made an interesting first impression. there are a lot of opinions on this forum, some you'll agree with, some you won't, many many professions that are represented...if you are having to explain the meaning of your initial posts in every thread, then you probably should think about what you are saying before you say it...

that said, if you want to get a hold of Seth let me know, i'll pm you his number.

mac 'just some words of advice' gyvr

Back