• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School strip searches 13 yr old girl for alleged possession of....

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
ibuprofen. :shocked: Wait, what? Seriously? Is Advil that dangerous?

link to video article

Even moreso than the obvious wtf, I could see this being a precursor to a possible police state. This happened 6 yrs ago, the school stands by their actions and was supported by the court when the family sued, and then by 2 separate appeals courts before it came before the 9th Circuit court and was heard. If they can get away with strip searching a 13 yr old girl because another student said she has prescription ibuprofen on her, and get threee separate judges to agree, what does that say for our legal system's support for our Constitutional rights?

I can say if it was my daughter, somebody would be gettin a serious %&^ whuppin

I'd bet the school has a 'Zero Tolerance' drug policy. Can't remember if it was here (Denver) or Corpus Christi, but I remember a girl getting expelled(eventually turned to a suspension) from school for bringing and taking drugs at school. Aunt Flow was in town and the girl took a Midol.
Similarly, a girl here was expelled(overturned, suspended) for bringing "firearms" to school. She is either JROTC or Jr. Marines and on their drill team. She had her drill rifles in her car. The school claimed that they were following the policy, even though those drill rifles have no moving parts and melted lead is poured down the barrel to seal it. It's hard for me to wrap my head around calling something a firearm when it's not possible to fire a round through it.

IIRC a friend of mine's older brother was strip searched in high school for suspicion of pot. The lead they had was a former student, they didn't find it on him and the family filed a law suit, not sure what ever came of it.

Speaking of zero tolerance, one of my friends had a clear plastic airsoft pistol in his truck at school, one of those $20 wall mart ones. well, somebody tattled on him and they sent a cop into the class room to cuff him and take him to the office. They told him that he would be expelled for that, it turned into a 1 or 2 week suspension.

This was an Agricultural school where students had leathermen on their belts all the time. For almost all of senior year I kept a 4 inch flathead screw driver in my pocket because the handle fell off of my locker and the school never fixed it and I needed it to get into my locker, and keep the sophmores in line. I usually had a 4" CRKT folder clipped to the top of my pants on the inside as well, Only needed to use it once, an annoying sophmore was causin trouble in the locker room.

I can say if it was my daughter, somebody would be gettin a serious %&^ whuppin
I can say if it was my daughter, somebody would be gettin' seriously dead.

How much more of this crap are we going to put up with until we start taking this country back? WTF is wrong with everyone?

Our society's traded liberty for a (usually false) sense of security. Nothing's going to change until something huge happens to wake everyone up.

I believe the problem lies with whom we percieve the enemy du jur to be.

At some point, we as a society came to believe that our children are their own worst enemy and decided to change our schools into prisons.

You are right though, American's have been trading essential freedoms and real security for a false belief that some person in a Uniform (Police, TSA, FBI, CIA, Military...) is going to keep them safe.

Last edited:
I was watching a Micheal Moore film ( I know...) on Health Care. They were talking about the French Government. The speaker ( a French person) said that the difference between the French Government and the American Government was that in France, the Government is afraid of the People, not the other way around.

I thought that was an interesting observation.

I have a real problem with this.

I find it difficult to describe my anger over this. Eight states have banned strip searching children at school: Why is this even an issue? Parents have no rights and children, as it has been pointed out, are hardened criminal who are bused to prison daily.

If it were my child I can only hope my brothers get ahold of me before I catch the perv in charge.

I and they are lucky/blessed to be out of that system relatively unscathed.

Teachers here = Jack Boot Thugs.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this - but I'm not.

Recall that you can now get transparent "School Safety" knapsacks everywhere (which is stupid, and they're not made well. I wouldn't use them for a lunch bag. My BSA haversack served as my school knapsack when it wasn't on a camping trip with me - damned thing was canvas, and tougher than the hinges of Hell.)

Considering that we're getting to the point where children have more rights than parents, perhaps those of us who are better at parenting should teach their children to resist this sort of thing?

As far as the school officials proper, "zero tolerance" usually means "zero intelligence" as well. Children are required, by law, to have an adult related to them (relative or legal guardian) present when they are so much as questioned. Thus, the search was illegal, and the school "official" that did it should be sent up for unlawful detainment and search, unlawful detainment of a minor, and (if the "official" was a male and there wasn't a female present) press charges for sexual battery as well.

Nothing has happened to make these people actually think things through when they do this. It's time that it starts, methinks...

I wish I could say I was surprised by this - but I'm not.

Recall that you can now get transparent "School Safety" knapsacks everywhere (which is stupid, and they're not made well. I wouldn't use them for a lunch bag. My BSA haversack served as my school knapsack when it wasn't on a camping trip with me - damned thing was canvas, and tougher than the hinges of Hell.)

Considering that we're getting to the point where children have more rights than parents, perhaps those of us who are better at parenting should teach their children to resist this sort of thing?

As far as the school officials proper, "zero tolerance" usually means "zero intelligence" as well. Children are required, by law, to have an adult related to them (relative or legal guardian) present when they are so much as questioned. Thus, the search was illegal, and the school "official" that did it should be sent up for unlawful detainment and search, unlawful detainment of a minor, and (if the "official" was a male and there wasn't a female present) press charges for sexual battery as well.

Nothing has happened to make these people actually think things through when they do this. It's time that it starts, methinks...

The child at the center of the OP's thread was searched by a female school nurse. Not supervised. What is unclear to you, and many others myself included until recently, is the fact that it is a seperate set of rules reguarding schools right to question and search children: The laws governing LEO do not apply to school officials. Moreover, BOE lawyers have the inside track until and unless a parent or guardian lawyer-up. Theirs is a rare instance of innocence until guilt proven.

The child at the center of the OP's thread was searched by a female school nurse. Not supervised. What is unclear to you, and many others myself included until recently, is the fact that it is a seperate set of rules reguarding schools right to question and search children: The laws governing LEO do not apply to school officials. Moreover, BOE lawyers have the inside track until and unless a parent or guardian lawyer-up. Theirs is a rare instance of innocence until guilt proven.

Thanks for that - but it still sounds an awful lot like "guilty until proven so," and the suspension of rights isn't the sort of lesson I like seeing in schools.

(By the by, might I ask why you know more about this than I do? Not that I'm a know-all, and certainly not that I'm doubting you, but I like to know who I'm talking to. I may have more questions for you...)

BOE, I take it, means "Bureau of Education?"

And, I suppose the kid doesn't have the right to lawyer up - it has to be his folks? Bugger...

Hey 5-90, Board of Education, yes... and the innocence I was refering to was solely that of the school, certainly not the children nor those who foot the bill for the publicly hired servants.

I have only the advantage of having spent a short time searching and studying the topic online to add to my 20 some years of child rearing (during which I butted heads with the school system on more than one occation; I usually came away with a sore head).

I'm not sure that there are any lattitudes that permit children to obtain lawyers during school v. child conflict, say, before the strip-search. More than likely, if a court battle is justified, it would be joined after the wrong has been commited and the results affecting future concerns only. A point was raised by a previous poster that we could teach our children to disobey in cases such as this; in all likelyhood the police would arrive, remove the child, and the parents would in fact be called before any further questioning resumed.

The great leverage which the BOE holds is the fact that they are 'protecting' all the children, a charge which they cannot and should not take lightly but seem to relish as a challenge to find the extremes. One cannot overlook the tragedies of late to see why they might feel the need to exercize such extreme control.

You are correct to insert that the children are 'guilty until proven innocent'.

I'm sure I could go on, but would prefer to stop here: My strongest passion are my children. Mike

It's things like this and the McDonald's girl (I forget her name but she was forced to strip, do nude jumping jacks, and perform fellatio on the manager's boyfriend because someone called pretending to be a cop and accusing her of stealing and directed the whole thing) make me want to be sure my daughters understand from a young age that if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. If someone tells you to do something wrong, chances are it's wrong, and you should not do it. Call the police, call me, don't just go along with whatever people say because they're authority figures. People in authority abuse their power all the time.

Back