• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCCA MJ Suspension SetUp?

I'm about to pull the rear leaf packs out to rebuild them for smoother leaf operation. I'm hoping to get any additional information about what the Archer Bros. did on their MJ.

Anyone find out anything in the last year?

I think we have it all figured out really. Stock front axle cut up to make a drop beam. Rear was metric ton leaf packs with lowering blocks on some and monoleafs on others.

I imagine the front springs are aftermarket racing coils available from any racing supply in any spring rate and height you want. The sway bars are probably aftermarket too as well as the shocks. I remember seeing bilstein stickers on the fender flares of a few of these trucks so there you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how this thread has lived so long in OEM tech. This belongs in street and performance. Can we have it moved, please?

I wonder how this thread has lived so long in OEM tech. This belongs in street and performance. Can we have it moved, please?

No, but I will move it to the MJ specific forum.

(By the way, Tapatalk signature tags are against the forum rules). :D

You can see some of the front axle in this picture.
137479889_w7k5n-O-1.jpg

Agree. That's the concept but poorly executed.

Bend some tube in the correct shape and then sleeve the original inner knuckles onto the tube.

That is the sketchiest thing I've ever seen done to a Jeep. Especially a Jeep they're trying to take to some sort of speed.

That's gotta be a mockup for proof of concept. Either that or they ran out of money after that intake...

You can see some of the front axle in this picture.

I'm actually pretty sure that is the transmission crossmember you are looking at. Not 100% sure but it does not seem to be in the same plane as the control arms.

I'm actually pretty sure that is the transmission crossmember you are looking at. Not 100% sure but it does not seem to be in the same plane as the control arms.

I dont think so. You can see the oil pan behind it and you dont see the tranny crossmember sitting so low in any of the side shots. the drop axle is hidden by the tires in the side shots.

Heres another shot
454416047_DwCBg-M.jpg

no way that cross bar is centered back under the tranny.

Last edited:
Thata a great pic of the axle..

reaching out from the unknown

Yeah if they woulda had that front air dam on this one the axle would be hidden in this pic. This is the '89 Bobby Archer truck. the earlier trucks had the air dam.

Edit: correction, those pics are both of Tommy's truck. i was looking back at the site and Bobby's dont have the Champion decal on the driver's side front bumper.

Last edited:
Here's a good side shot of Tommy on his way to a 1st place finish. No low hanging tranny crossmember.
137491293_sKn79-M.jpg

This one seems to have the monoleafs with lowering block. Also, notice the upward angle of the lower control arm.

Last edited:
Here's a good side shot of Tommy on his way to a 1st place finish. No low hanging tranny crossmember.
137491293_sKn79-M.jpg

This one seems to have the monoleafs with lowering block. Also, notice the upward angle of the lower control arm.
that angle was the first thing i knowticed in the pic. I have been wondering how the angles affect handling. i had planed at one time to modify the stock axle so the arms would sit closer to stock.

I really wonder what the upper control arms are doing. Would it be possible the the uppers are acting as lowers and vise versa?

that angle was the first thing i knowticed in the pic. I have been wondering how the angles affect handling. i had planed at one time to modify the stock axle so the arms would sit closer to stock.

I really wonder what the upper control arms are doing. Would it be possible the the uppers are acting as lowers and vise versa?

The more I look at that pic the more it looks like he is mid corner in that shot, and going fast too!

That doesn't quite look like the front axle. Maybe a much larger sway bar. The truck has body roll, and the bar looks very parallel to the truck and not the ground.

That doesn't quite look like the front axle. Maybe a much larger sway bar. The truck has body roll, and the bar looks very parallel to the truck and not the ground.

Your right. I didn't notice that. But that would sure be one huge sway bar. I think some type of brace between the frame rails is more likely. Attached to the motor mounts maybe. The sway bar would show in the side shots.

Why can't we get someone in here that actually knows how these trucks are really setup???

Back