• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SBC 350, 700R4 in th 98'

Here is the link to the AA Install manual that comes with the brackets. Upon closer reading I have found that:

1)the mounts should be in the same location as the stock mounts, that's were I have them placed in the picture that you drew the arrow on.

2)In the first paragraph they state that there are varying frame rail widths and the mounts may need to be modified.

3)Upon closer inspection of the parts list, I noticed that in the list there is no engine mount plates like the ones you had to trim the corner off.

So basically in the first paragraph they are covering their asses by saying the mounts might need to be modded right out of the box. Also the parts list and apparently the configuration has changed.

http://www.atlas-tc.com/pdf/712/713109.pdf

AA changed the 713109 part at some point. The mounts that you have are now under 713117.

Basically, when the first came out with this mount it was for 4.3L V6 which is the same as small block with the two back cylinders chopped off. They then realized that the mounts will work with a small block V8 if they pushed the engine forward a bit. That is why you have the large adapter plates that bolt to the engine and offset the rubber mount a bit.

Palmer has it right, the mounts bolt to the frame where the stock I6 were, the drv side mount ties into your trackbar mount with two bolts.

Yes, the unibody can be off...but not by the amount your pictures are showing. What AA refers to is grinding on the rubber mount steel backing. You might have to cut a notch for the frame bracket; see arrow in picture.

m_mt_t.jpg

Your mounts are mounted in the wrong location, they should be attached lower. Look at mine:

http://alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=36178

WOW, I had entertained the idea of putting them down there but the metal is so thin it looked like I could rip it off with my bare hands. I see now that I will need to do some re-enforcing of the sheet metal around the area.

That being said, I guess I will be putting my mounts down there.

I am hoping that I will be able to find a set of headers from Sanders that I can use and avoid the "frame" hacking.

How did the A/C wiring go for you, I am wondering if my 98 will still operate the remaining computer controlled items with the engine disconnected from the harness.

Last edited:
Back