• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

saw KOR LA kit today

Bryan C. said:
BTW, I joined NAXJA because we are are Off-roading club first and foremost, and a public forum also. I have gained a huge amount of knowledge through this forum and the discussions that arise from threads just like this.

Bryan C.
NAXJA member 674

NAXJA 688 says: I'll see you at Hollister :wheeling:

So who is gonna make a midarm suspension for us???? ;)

so now I am curious-- what are the disadvantages of a longarm suspension setup with the chassis mounts above the framerail, and no part of the belly any lower than the factory crossmember, with the belly being one flat skidplate front to back? Breakover angle is not any different, at this point, than with the shortarms at a given lift with stock crossmember.

....asked because this is exactly how I plan to build mine...

Ken, I think you are treating the thread correctly and though your prototype pics got put out earllier than you wanted, I think it will help you in the long run.

I think there is a place in the market for a LA setup that does not use a crossmember simply for cost effectiveness. If you could mount the arms just higher than the bottom of the psuedo framerail on the inside it would be a great setup. It may be a pain to work around the fuel lines and what not but there is room in there for a well designed mount with 6 inches or so of lift.

Personally I use a homemade LA setup. My crossmember hangs down as much as the stock one, the arms mount in front of it. I very rarely hang up on it, never the arms but sometimes the crossmember. My crossmember and arms are connected, I thought of a way to make is so I could unbolt them seperatly but then decided against it, it wasn't worth the extra complexity and fab time. My crossmember is very strong and has an integrated t-case skid.

I can't understand how the LA naysayers can conceed that the LAs provide a better on/off road ride but that they don't improve trail performance. If it makes you go over bumps and little rocks better why wouldn't it help on bigger rocks and undercuts or steep ledges? Of course lesser designs that give you stuff to hang up on have that drawback, but thats a design problem not a LA problem.

woody said:
For a web-wheeler, Nay makes a good point or two. I expect he'll see to changing the color of his name when he's ready to.

Restarted that process at the beginning of the Colorado Chapter...we are just trying to figure out what my Member number is...pick one between 1 and 15 :dunce:

Nay

offroadman83 said:
So who is gonna make a midarm suspension for us???? ;)

Nobody should make one for the D30. You need to raise the axle mounts to flush with the tube like Richard did - this is the primary method of improving the arm angles in a mid-arm setup and is ultimately what allows the shorter arm. This in combination with over the axle trackbar and a general need for high clearance steering and the D30 just doesn't make a good foundation for a mid-arm design.

So the question is: how many of you will buy a mid-arm kit knowing you need to be building a D44 at the same time and that this is a weld-on solution? If there is a market for this, I would take this approach:

You acquire a bare D44 with hi-steer knuckles. No brackets, steering, trackbar or any of that stuff. The kit includes:

Axle brackets for 2 lower arms flush with axle tube and one upper mount and brace.

Raised trackbar bracket to align with D44 hi-steer angles

Two lower and one upper arm with spherical joints

Trackbar with spherical joints on both ends

Aftermarket hi-steer knuckle arms to allow both draglink and tierod to be raised on the same plane, all utilizing spherical joints.

I'd put a price on this of around $1,500 at first guess.

Would it be a seller???

Nay

Nay said:
Restarted that process at the beginning of the Colorado Chapter...we are just trying to figure out what my Member number is...pick one between 1 and 15 :dunce:

Nay
666? Naw just kidding, your #1 in my book! :cheers:
But you can't have 7!

JnJ said:
666? Naw just kidding, your #1 in my book! :cheers:
But you can't have 7!

I never did track down who it was that stole #1 from me...I was the first Prez...I deserved it (along with a lot else, I'm sure). :angel:

Nay

#1,2,3,5,9,11,12,14...none rings a bell here, but that was way before my time.

Claim #1 if ya want it :D

Done. I am officially NAXJA Member #1. This, I am sure, comes with great respect and priviledge and free parts from sponsors. :worship:

Nay

Nay said:
Done. I am officially NAXJA Member #1. This, I am sure, comes with great respect and priviledge and free parts from sponsors. :worship:

Nay

LOL you can get all the same great deals I get.

Nay said:

Nay
Number 1? That's what you do while standing. Guess it's better then number 2. :D

Nay said:

Nay

If that is true then this place is really going in the crapper!

:D

hinkley

Ken, looks good man. Wish I'd know about this before I came up tohight. I'm too lazy to read all three pages so I'll cut to the cahse, waht are you doing for upper arms? I'm using the cross amber I got from you and all that stands between me and completion is the upper arms issue, I know Jerry at Centerline Motorsports, and formerly of Trail Ready, built his kit using an upper on the driver's side only, and it worked like a charm.

Back