• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

saw KOR LA kit today

Dirk Funk said:
I've been slapped right before by someone more knowledgable than I; it builds character damnit.

YES! I truly hope that when - not if, when - I make a bad decision, there will be people to explain to me why I'm stupid and how to make it better. How are you going to improve if everyone always tells you that you are wonderful?

wsuxjer said:
With "constructive" critisism like that, it's no wonder this place sucks. ;) If you don't know anything about a LA setup (which you obviously don't, since you don't have one ;) ) why are you even posting on this thread? Go buy a YJ so you can have leaves all the way around, why bother doing it on an XJ?

I didn't do it on an XJ, I did it on an MJ :D

I know plenty about long-arms, I spent close to a year deciding what I was going to do with my axles and suspension, including detailed 3d CAD modeling. I also know from actual wheeling experience, that stuff that hangs down WILL get caught, it's Murphy's law :laugh3:

and our criticism WAS contructive; if we had said "it sucks, period", that would be non-constructive, but we told him exactly what we don't like about it and how to change it, that IS constructive.

I haven't checked JU, but I imagine they're all having a big drool-fest over this basically average and typical long-arm system. If that's the response you want, go over there. If you want to hear honest facts from people who have been there and actually wheel their junk, stay here and learn.

I think that comparing NAXJA to JU and POR is just wrong! I have lurked on both JU and POR before I stumbled across NAXJA and all I read at POR was f' you and your and idiot if your not running 38's and 5 ton axles. On JU it is one big pissing contest, it seemed to me that the bigger your jeep was the cooler you were and thats not what I wanted to read nor did I want to be ripped because I asked for advice on how to trim my fenders. The experince I have had a NAXJA is much better, yes there will always be few people that get off on ripping people on the boards but in general most people will say that sucks and this is why... don't take the word "sucks" to heart, read what people have to say and learn.

oh yeah, what makes wheelin so fun is all the diffrent ideas that people come up, everyone has their own idea on what the "ultimate" XJ is so just because you like LA does not mean they are better then my RE SA setup.

my two cents.

shannon

OK here is what I have to say. I have no desire for this thread to be here at all. I offered 5 kits for sale on our very small local club board as more of a expanded R&D. Most of them were intended for people who have been waiting hounding me for them for several months.

The kits are evolving into the finished products. My goal is to produce a product that will be for those who cannot build their own. And offer it at a reasonable price.This means the kit will be able to fit well on any XJ/MJ with minimal problems, by the average backyard mechanic. If and/ or when this goes national, it will be a well tested much more refined product. I already have made several design changes in the couple of kits made.

I take into consideration all comments made as constructive I have been around the internet a long time and know how things are.

I tell you what if you are after a inverted 4 link front and rear with coilovers hooked to your dana 60's or what ever I can build it. But its kinda hard to put that in a box and ship to New York.

Please don't judge my work by a overzealous friend who is excited to be involved. He means well but it is Human nature to defend your freinds if you think they are under attack. Which I clearly am not.

I look forward to producing a quality product for people and will let everyone know when they are availible through the proper channels.

Thank you for your time, Ken

Kensoffroad said:
OK here is what I have to say. I have no desire for this thread to be here at all. I offered 5 kits for sale on our very small local club board as more of a expanded R&D. Most of them were intended for people who have been waiting hounding me for them for several months.

The kits are evolving into the finished products. My goal is to produce a product that will be for those who cannot build their own. And offer it at a reasonable price.This means the kit will be able to fit well on any XJ/MJ with minimal problems, by the average backyard mechanic. If and/ or when this goes national, it will be a well tested much more refined product. I already have made several design changes in the couple of kits made.

I take into consideration all comments made as constructive I have been around the internet a long time and know how things are.

I tell you what if you are after a inverted 4 link front and rear with coilovers hooked to your dana 60's or what ever I can build it. But its kinda hard to put that in a box and ship to New York.

Please don't judge my work by a overzealous friend who is excited to be involved. He means well but it is Human nature to defend your freinds if you think they are under attack. Which I clearly am not.

I look forward to producing a quality product for people and will let everyone know when they are availible through the proper channels.

Very up and up reply by you. :yelclap:
Notice that this thread had a five star rating. People enjoy this sh.. stuff. :cheers:

Jes

Thanks Ken! I know everyone here who was "bashing" you was doing so for the sole purpose of seeing a better system developed, not to attack you personally or your craftsmanship.

It sucks that the thread starter let this out before you wanted it too be and that he was over-zealous in "defending" you. Keep us updated with the progression of your LA system.

cherokeekid said:
What is funny about this BBS is the post about 2 threads down (sorry to bring you into this :D) with a set of LA that are not adjsutable and the brackets sit 3-4" down from the cross member gets minimal (if any) baggin.

I caught sh!t for my design, I just didn't argue as much as I made it clear that I didn't care at this point because I was just happy to be done. And, like somebody pointed out, mine isn't for sale.
Billy

Kensoffroad said:
I don't want the suspension mounted to the cross member for the simple reason that every time you need to work on your case or what ever it is a major hassel. Everyone who has that type of set knows what I mean.
Oh and 1 more thing trying to build something anybody can install on any XJ is a lot harder to design then something you build as a one off custom peice.

Jeez- little attitude there, eh?

First off-- no part of what I said was a critique of your setup.

You're a proffessional fabricator- I'm not.

The issue about having to remove the suspension attachment every time you service the trans is a nonissue. Simply make a dropout crossmember under the tranny. Look at how Clayton's does it.

Abslutely agree about the issue of mass production versus one-offs.

Put it this way. If I wasnt a cheap bastard with a welder and knowledge of how to use it, who likes to do everything myself- I'd be buying your setup!

mad maXJ said:
I didn't do it on an XJ, I did it on an MJ :D

I know plenty about long-arms, I spent close to a year deciding what I was going to do with my axles and suspension, including detailed 3d CAD modeling. I also know from actual wheeling experience, that stuff that hangs down WILL get caught, it's Murphy's law :laugh3:

and our criticism WAS contructive; if we had said "it sucks, period", that would be non-constructive, but we told him exactly what we don't like about it and how to change it, that IS constructive.

I haven't checked JU, but I imagine they're all having a big drool-fest over this basically average and typical long-arm system. If that's the response you want, go over there. If you want to hear honest facts from people who have been there and actually wheel their junk, stay here and learn.
All that makes you is an even bigger web wheeler. I don't care if you spent a thousand hours in CAD, if you haven't built and wheeled a LA suspension, you shouldn't be spouting your BS in this thread. ;)

wsuxjer said:
All that makes you is an even bigger web wheeler. I don't care if you spent a thousand hours in CAD, if you haven't built and wheeled a LA suspension, you shouldn't be spouting your BS in this thread. ;)

RIIIIIIIIIIGHT :rolleyes:

I've used CAD to check clearances and binding in long-arm systems, I've seen them at work in the real-world,

and most importantly, I've dragged enough rocks on SHORT arms and my frame at 6 inches of lift to know that if I went to the hassle of building long-arms, I would absolutely make sure they didn't hang down below the frame rail

All this rigmarole over long arms?!!??!!?

Long arms are ssoooooo passe! Deep down we all know short arms rule! Long live the short arm!!! :worship:

mad maXJ said:
RIIIIIIIIIIGHT :rolleyes:

I've used CAD to check clearances and binding in long-arm systems, I've seen them at work in the real-world,

and most importantly, I've dragged enough rocks on SHORT arms and my frame at 6 inches of lift to know that if I went to the hassle of building long-arms, I would absolutely make sure they didn't hang down below the frame rail

I know, I have his old D30 with some really messed up LCA mounts. ;)

Personally, when I first saw this thread. I thought it was some cleverly disguised spam on our website. Then I thought it was some guy all amped up about his new long arms. Don't taki it presonal if we all didn't jump up and say how cool you were for buying what a large portion of the members here run. I wasn't until I read Ken's response that I decided it was something else. This is the internet, grow some thicker skin, take the criticism and move on. We all aren't going to agree on everything all the time.

BTW, I joined NAXJA because we are are Off-roading club first and foremost, and a public forum also. I have gained a huge amount of knowledge through this forum and the discussions that arise from threads just like this.

Bryan C.
NAXJA member 674

BillR said:
Interesting discussion, Richard...
What's your opinion on the drop bracket set-up that RE uses instead of a long arm configuration? I'm curious 'cause that's what I have now. If I'm not really going to gain anything with a long arm set-up, I think I'll spend the time and bucks elsewhere and stay where I'm at.
TIA!

It depends on the long arm design. If the long arm frame mounts are below the frame, then I prefer the RE drop brackets. If the long arms are tucked nicely up inside the frame rails, then the LA's probably have a slight advantage. I definitely don't think that any long arm setup is worth changing to if you already have the RE drop brackets. I've wheeled plenty with people with both long arms and RE drop brakets, and while this is not by any means a scientific observation, I've seen more long arms hung up than I've seen drop brackets hung up. We're all going to get hung up at times when rockcrawling, so it's just a matter of minimizing the potential....not eliminating it.

Kensoffroad said:

Ken, thanks for your comments. I understand that if you're developing a product for market, you have to make something that people will buy. I have no criticism of that. I popped off towards the beginning of this thread......no offense was intended but I see that it could be taken that way. Those that know me know that I like to stir the pot at times.....partly to make a point and partly just to have fun.

I do have a well documented problem with people showing their nice pics of low hanging long arm setups like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it is getting old. But, I have no problem with anyone marketing a reasonably priced product that is easy to install and that people want and will buy, as long as the quality is also reasonable. More power to you. I'm a used car salesman, so far be it from me to criticize anyone's chosen livelyhood. :D

It would be nice to see someone come to market with a mid arm kit, but even though it would work great (mine does), it wouldn't have the popular draw of a long arm kit until enough people actually ran them. Really, I don't care about how long any arms are, I only care about the arm angles and ground clearance.......design around those parameters for our XJ/MJ's and I'm a very happy camper, and I'm sure many others would appreciate it.

Best of luck to you,

Back