• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saddle Up routing hike.

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok everyone. I want to get together on Sat the 18th or Sat the 1st. to start planning our new route for saddle up. I was up there last weekend and found some interesting features and want to expand on it a bit. Wanna get up there in the morning and route the trail then wheel in the evening. Possibly make this a camp out.

So what is everyone's interest level and available date to do this.

Ok everyone. I want to get together on Sat the 18th or Sat the 1st. to start planning our new route for saddle up. I was up there last weekend and found some interesting features and want to expand on it a bit. Wanna get up there in the morning and route the trail then wheel in the evening. Possibly make this a camp out.

So what is everyone's interest level and available date to do this.

I would be up for a little weekender on the 1st... I could have the jeep back up and going by then:dunno:

I definitely want to be in on this, and I think the weekend of the 1st will work out best.
(i'm at work now) ....but when I get home tonight, I'll double check my calendar and verify.

10 days out...we set a definitive time/meeting spot on this yet?

I doubt I will be there on the first, Im going up on the 8th to install the new winch post on Waterfall. Which happens to be the same day as the TSF appreciation BBQ!!! Free lunch.

Bump.

Ok this is one week away. Meeting at 9am in the browns camp day use area. Then headed up to saddle up at 930. You'll want to wear pants and good shoes or hiking boots and bring drinking water and such. Gloves would be a good idea aswell. Shovels, probe bars or sticks, tape measures, chainsaws will also be a good idea.

We will primarily be determining pitch if the trail and layout of route. Possibly preliminary flagging of trail center line.

I'm sad to say I can't make this.

Few suggestions from the trail scouting I've done:
- Use flagging tape to mark your proposed route.
- Always consider drainage, and where the water is going to go.
- Look at the ground and what it's composed of, loose dirt, rock, etc. Obviously rock is going to be more stable.
- Stay away from creeks/springs/marsh.
- Keep in mind a hill climb may look doable on foot, but is another story in a vehicle. Again think of running the trail in the wet season will impact the trail
- Not sure what ODF's policy is, but I'd be leery of clearing brush/turning dirt this early in the game.
- Spread out when scouting the clear cut, and communicate about what you see.
- Use as many natural features as you can, whether it's a stump to climb over, or a game trail to follow.
- The trail will mature over time.

Hope you get a good turn out for this, Aaron, and can make some progress. Looking forward to hearing the update.

I'm fully committed, and will be there Sat morn.
Aaron, do you have a source for flags/tape and such?
If we actually decide to do some marking, are we going to have the supplies?
Let me know if/where I can help with this if need be.

I'm fully committed, and will be there Sat morn.
Aaron, do you have a source for flags/tape and such?
If we actually decide to do some marking, are we going to have the supplies?
Let me know if/where I can help with this if need be.

I will be going to lowes this week to pick up some pvc for vertical measuring posts, some flags, an angle finder and some nylon string. If you wanted to pitch in on some of these items or to get more you are welcome to. If you have or can borrow a simple angle finder scope that would be helpful as well.

Will try to make this! Gotta check, but I think Sat is free for us!

I will be going to lowes this week to pick up some pvc for vertical measuring posts, some flags, an angle finder and some nylon string. If you wanted to pitch in on some of these items or to get more you are welcome to. If you have or can borrow a simple angle finder scope that would be helpful as well.

I can pitch in on the dollar amount for things like the flags string and pipe, I cant fork out much right now, but I figure these are inexpensive items to begin with. So PM me the cost, and I'll see what I can do.
I have no sources for an angle finder...... unless you want to make one out of a level, a protractor, and some string with a weight......:dunce:

My gf wants to know if any women will be joining us... Someone to converse with... Lol

Back