• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Lift Upgrade Question

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.5" Spring Pack Rusty's Lift. I would like to gain two more inches. What is necessary to purchase to basically have a 6.5" Rusty's Lift considering the peices that I already have? What is a cheap way to gain the extra two inches with ride quality and performance in mind?
Thanks!

First, you are going to want to go with longarms or drop brackets. Drop brackets is the most economical route.. You can get them+braces from Rubicon Express and add to your existing lift. If you try and run 6.5" with shortarms, things will go badly.

Are your lower control arms 'strait' or bent in a 'J'?

As far as more height, you can get away with a 1.5-2" spacer up front, and then a longer shackle and small lift block (~1") in the rear. A small block like that won't have major effect on spring wrap the way larger ones do - I ran a 1" block for 2 years.

What are you doing for steering? Stock steering does not hold up well at higher lifts. You may look into doing something like a 1 ton steering conversion (which has high angle draglink ends) from JCR pretty inexpensive.

Are your front/rear brakelines long enough? You may have to replace those too.

Dont forget longer shocks..

My lower control arms are J's. I don't have a slip yoke eliminator yet and my brake lines in the rear haven't been extended.

Ok. To go to 6.5" reasonably..

Count on having to buy or build lower control arms that are strait, and buy drop brackets/braces

OR

go to a long arm kit (more money)

Either way:

SYE
Rear driveshaft
rear brake line
probably front brake line
4 shocks
steering.

There will be people tell you that you can do it on a lot less - and you probably "can", but if you want it to be safe and perform well, as well as not ride like a skateboard on a cobblestone street - then this is your minimum.

pierceME311 said:
You might want to try TNT customs U-bolt eliminators with boomerang shackles and JKS ACOS up front. SS brake-lines etc. etc.

He could get new coils for the price of ACOS, and sell his old ones and get the ube's..

Back