• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys 4.5: Spring Question

On a leaf spring pack over the axle, you should get more droop than stuff. Particularly on an XJ, since there isn't a whole lot of stuff in those tiny rear wheelwells.

I really appreciate the comments in this post as it answers somewhat questions I have. I built, mainly because of stuff I had laying around, a
"illegitimate" leaf pack out of S10 leafs, a long RE AAL and the original XJ lower leaf. Standard shackles. I have DPG bumpstops and the leaf springs travel far enough to stuff the wheels as far as the stops will allow. Gives me 5.5" of lift and matches what I have up front. So it is a little stiff and sometimes at speed on logging roads the rear can bounce around a bit. I have been wondering if I would gain that much by installing some RE 4.5 leaves and extended shackles but if I am already hitting my bumpstops am I not getting all the flex that I can?
What I am having trouble wrapping my brain around is whether, with stiffer springs, getting not so much the stuff but the drop on the opposing side. Logic tells me that there will be equal drop to compression but it does not feel that way. I just do not want to spend the money for limited gain. Any input appreciated.

It sounds like from your comments that you really have a pretty soft spring pack, and it sounds like it stuffs pretty easily if it hits the bump stops (can you get it to do this on logging roads or just on particular obstacles?).

What is your shackle angle sitting level on the ground?
Like doug said you should have more droop than stuff and it doesn't sounds like you have the opposite, if this is the case you might just need to adjust your shackles angles.

Michael

It sounds like from your comments that you really have a pretty soft spring pack, and it sounds like it stuffs pretty easily if it hits the bump stops (can you get it to do this on logging roads or just on particular obstacles?).

What is your shackle angle sitting level on the ground?
Like doug said you should have more droop than stuff and it doesn't sounds like you have the opposite, if this is the case you might just need to adjust your shackles angles.

Michael

Stock shackles so no adjustment there. I only bottom out over obstacles never on logging roads. I also have the DPG's stacked to the max so I don't rub the 33's. I am guessing that not having the extended shackles is the issue.

Back