• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Runs?

Yeah, just don't try to floow capt ron up one when he's in a truggy. :( Elias had a few busted lights after we did that.

I've only done the once with Anthony and it was interesting. 20 point turns all day :p

You bringing sarge? Im thinking of bringing his GF.. Not Ben :p

Ten Four on the 20 point turns. :(

And yep, sarge will be on hand for festivities....I hope ben comes too. :)

When it was in Big Bear, we'd usually gather at 9am or so. I would imagine that'll be pretty much the same. We've got some folks that are more familiar with the area, that will be figuring out who's doing what, over the next few weeks.

Would you be coming in from Carson, or from SD?

Negatory, if we can leave at 9am, its usually perfect timing for lunch around noon at the mines if Cal doesn't do any spoting. FIFY
So is that Cal spotting "to a tee" but not to two tees?

Or is spoting a combination of spotting and sputum? Sooooo confused!

So is that Cal spotting "to a tee" but not to two tees?

Or is spoting a combination of spotting and sputum? Sooooo confused!

Well what Cal does isn't technically spotting so you can't really call it that.

So.. What's the word on trail runs?

Im up for option #3.
Traditional stuff:

Easy - Mule Canyon, goes up to mining areas.
Moderate 1 - Odessa Canyon, also goes to mining areas. Pretty easy if you can follow a spotter or know the road. Traction aids will help.
Moderate 2 - Upper Doran bypassing gatekeeper (pending if bypass is open, it was close da few years ago ago and I'm not sure if open. 31s and traction aid would be nice here.
Hard - Lower Doran, gatekeeper. You could do it with lockers and 33s back in 2004, not sure today.

Last edited:
So.. What's the word on trail runs?

I'm up for option #3.

interested in run 3.... anyone know if it's doable on 33's and lockers still?

We'll ensure there will be runs available for all levels...There is work going into the planning of them.

I think (but do not KNOW) that most of Doran is doable on 33s & lockers. I wouldn't recommend tackling the Doran Gatekeeper at that build level, but there is a bypass around it, I hear.

I know (from the passenger seat) that Big Bird (on 37s, with an Atlas, lockers, and a Dana 60 in the rear) was brutally denied by the Gatekeeper back in January of 2010. That denial caused us to never see the rest of the Doran route.

I'm sure that's true, but I will believe it when I see it..... :p :D

I don't think you've ever been on an event I was working. Even if I have to take my double-locked Jeep on 35s down a fire road there will be support of everybody from the newest driver though the most gnarly we can get for the location (I can only speak for the Gatekeeper here, it's been a long time since I've been to Calico).

That said I still don't know which Jeep I am taking with me, if I end up in the black Jeep I'll likely do Odessa and/or Mule Canyon.

MEETING PLACE, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY

09:00 AM, 0.45 MILES PAST (East of) CALICO TURNOFF.

Turn LEFT into the wash trail and line up, do not block the road.

GPS plot is N 34° 56.383', W 116° 51.530'

This is a no-fee location and we will not be harassing any locals. Be advised there are no services in this area, fuel up and food up prior to getting here.

Back