• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Commander rims on an XJ

91 Jeep Project said:
Yeah, I saw your post...........:dunno: I also prefer the wheel centric lip of the Spidertrax spacer.
I don't really see the need for the hub centric lip, it dosen't make the wheel anymore secure. Your lug nuts are what locate the wheel anyway :dunno: but, hey it's your money---------Hans

Oatmeal said:
Your lug nuts are what locate the wheel anyway

You're right, but studs cannot center a wheel, they are almost never in straight and they transfer all loads to them. Hub/wheel centric spacers transfer loads directly to the hub. Why do you think all axle shafts and hubs come with that lip?

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
There is nothing wrong with aluminum. Spidertrax uses 6061T6 aluminum, and are pretty much the standard as far as wheel spacers are concerned. They make a 5 on 5 to a 5 on 4.5. I imagine you could get them to make you a reverse set.
I will probably try to contact them about that. When I do it, I want to do it correctly so it's safe and durable.

91 Jeep Project said:
You're right, but studs cannot center a wheel, they are almost never in straight and they transfer all loads to them. Hub/wheel centric spacers transfer loads directly to the hub. Why do you think all axle shafts and hubs come with that lip?
To center the drum and/or rotor. That lip is only any good if the wheel that's going onto it's center hole is a tight fit around it.....like the factory wheels. Mount an aftermarket wheel that has a slightly larger center hole (like most of them do) and it does absolutely nothing. I've never seen a stud that wasn't in straight and even if they were (for some reason) not straight, the conical shape of the lug nuts will line the wheel up to where ever the stud tells it to and let's see, the wheels on my Bronco, Toyota, Acura and just about every other car I've ever owned were centered by..........the lugs. The load is transfered via the tension of the wheel making contact with the wheel mounting surface by way of the lug nuts, that's why they have specific torque values. You really should get your facts straight.----------Hans

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
Worked in a tire shack for 2.5 years, hub centric > not hub centric.

"Hubcentric" is another term that is often not mentioned or is misunderstood. A hubcentric wheel is a wheel designed with a centerbore opening to match the exact diameter of the hub of a specific vehicle. The importance is that the weight bearing of the wheel, in reference to the vehicle, is accomplished by the hub and centerbore mating to an exact fit. The lug nuts/bolts' only purpose is to affix the wheel to the mounting surface, not to bear the weight of the vehicle. Often wheels that are not hubcentric create driveability problems--shimmy, vibration, and erratic tracking. Many quality manufacturers design their wheels to be versatile by providing hubcentric centering rings that snap into place inside the wheel, to make the wheel hubcentric. This is an important safety issue--hubcentricity is highly recommended."

91 Jeep Project said:
"hubcentricity is highly recommended."
I spent about 5 minutes trying to fit this quote in my signature. Someone else needs to do it, it just sounds brilliant. 91, my question for you is though, those stock 17"s that I'd be getting, would they have the same diameter lip as the Spidertrax or any other hubcentric spacer would?

91 Jeep Project said:
"Hubcentric" is another term that is often not mentioned or is misunderstood. A hubcentric wheel is a wheel designed with a centerbore opening to match the exact diameter of the hub of a specific vehicle. The importance is that the weight bearing of the wheel, in reference to the vehicle, is accomplished by the hub and centerbore mating to an exact fit. The lug nuts/bolts' only purpose is to affix the wheel to the mounting surface, not to bear the weight of the vehicle. Often wheels that are not hubcentric create driveability problems--shimmy, vibration, and erratic tracking. Many quality manufacturers design their wheels to be versatile by providing hubcentric centering rings that snap into place inside the wheel, to make the wheel hubcentric. This is an important safety issue--hubcentricity is highly recommended."
Nice quote: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=152939&page=1 but, did you read the rest of the thread or only what you wanted to hear? :dunno:---------Hans

Oatmeal said:
Nice quote: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=152939&page=1 but, did you read the rest of the thread or only what you wanted to hear? :dunno:---------Hans

Nope, read the whole thing. I started this by saying I preferred it, and as such I consider the spidertrax spacer to be a better product. I just didn't take kindly to you assuming and trying to point out that I somehow missed your link and that it should of been the only option mentioned.

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
Nope, read the whole thing. I started this by saying I preferred it, and as such I consider the spidertrax spacer to be a better product. I just didn't take kindly to you assuming and trying to point out that I somehow missed your link and that it should of been the only option mentioned.
Well, I only countered to your "yeah so" (that's they way I percieved it, anyway) attitude when I mentioned my previous post and that the "hub/wheel centric" adapter/spacer is the only way to go. Then you seemed to ignore the rest of the info of the thread that you pulled the quote out of and passed off as YOUR words of wisdom. However, I'm done arguing. You believe and choose what you want (hey, that's your perogative). I was just trying to give the guy the option to save a few bucks. Have a nice evening :) -------------Hans

Oatmeal said:
I was just trying to give the guy the option to save a few bucks.-------------Hans
Hey I appreciate that, and thanks for pointing out the Spidertrax link too. You two along with everyone else were a huge help. I will post pictures when I do this. Thanks!

You know the funniest thing about all this talk about support from the centre hub lip, they are not even the same size front and rear on our XJ's! The front hub has a Ford size of 70.7 mm and the rear axle lip is 71.6 mm. :0
Found this out when I fitted some Ford wheels which bolted straight onto the front but not on the rear. Measured them with a digital caliper and that is what I found. Couldn't believe it as always thought they would be exactly the same as other vehicles. I ended up turning down the rear axle to match the front.

Gojeep said:
You know the funniest thing about all this talk about support from the centre hub lip, they are not even the same size front and rear on our XJ's! The front hub has a Ford size of 70.7 mm and the rear axle lip is 71.6 mm. :0
Found this out when I fitted some Ford wheels which bolted straight onto the front but not on the rear. Measured them with a digital caliper and that is what I found. Couldn't believe it as always thought they would be exactly the same as other vehicles. I ended up turning down the rear axle to match the front.
So GoJeep, you obviously feel like the support is almost mandatory also huh? I suppose that does make sense, I always wondered how wheel studs alone could bear the entire weight of the wheel/tire. It's strange how like Rockkrawler type wheels seem to be the perfect size for the Jeep center hub, you would think they would need to cater to a bigger crowd than just us. I suppose how big the center support is has to do some with bolt pattern too though right?

90PioSport99 said:
No kidding, so then... that would be the same as an XJ's yeah?
Edit...I think I found out they are 5x5 because that's what it's sounding like all the wheel spacers are for them. This is a picture of the wheels I want for anyone who is interested...
CommanderRim.jpg

i love these wheels. there's nothing like chrome!

jk333 said:
i love these wheels. there's nothing like chrome!
I've never actually seen them around on a Jeep before, but I like them too. I'm not a fan of huge bling bling chrome, but I think 17" with a thick tire (31") would be okay.

90PioSport99 said:
I've never actually seen them around on a Jeep before, but I like them too.

Yeah, those are the Rogue Chrome Clad. I'm not sure I have ever seen them in person, but they did come on some Overlands. You always see the Argent version of the same wheel on the Freedom Editions. I've always been a fan of the Rogue Chrome myself.

2C325468-1sm.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
Yeah, those are the Rogue Chrome Clad. I'm not sure I have ever seen them in person, but they did come on some Overlands. You always see the Argent version of the same wheel on the Freedom Editions. I've always been a fan of the Rogue Chrome myself.

2C325468-1sm.jpg
Those are almost identical to what came on 5.9Ls aren't they?

Back