• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running 33's on stock 3.55's

i had 31", 5sp, 3.07 r&p and it sucked on the road. needed to have the rpms up high to have any power and had to be in 4lo on the trails. 4:11 made every thing better. drove that way for a year until i could scrape up enough money. only good thing about that setup was that you could really wind the gears out.

XJeeper05 said:
Ok I was a bit harsh but I really get tired of people criticizing me when I post about having stock gearing with 33s. I got the tires and wheels I have now for 200 bucks. They were worth about 800. So I went ahead and jumped for it. I plan to regear but I cant fork 1200 over to get them done. I'd rather get two 4 banger axles to tie me over for a while. BUt also I just got a slammin deal on an RE hack and tap. I'm just trying to go along with what deals I get. Sorry for the hostility but no one drives my Jeep but me, and for now I'm happy with it. When I get reageared I'll probably say "damn I wish I had done that a lot sooner..." but unless I start trying illegal ways of getting money, Im going to stick with what I have.

OK, I wasn't criticizing you for driving what you drive but I was looking to get a better handle on what you felt about the setup. As I said the way you phrased it it looked like you knew it's bad and the question was as to how bad was bad :D

Btw, you think you got it hard here?? Look up a thread 35's with 3.55's :D THat is a classic that should be preserved and I think made members only (due to it's entertainment value).

I ran 3.55 and 33 MTRs for a little over a year, it works but....... One word that deffinatly can not beuse to desribed when talking about that setup and rocks is smooth. It was a rough ride tring to get the power to the ground and do it slow and controled. bur in the mud it work ok since I could get some wicked wheel speed.

I have 3.55 and 33 right now and it's not that bad on the street, but on the up hill you just have to drive slower. As far as offroad, 4H will not do well at all but 4L will do just fine. I've been running this setup for about 8 months, just save some $$$$$ and do the gears later. just my 2cents :D

Joe

I also have 3.55's with 33's...Obviously 4.56's or 4.88's would be a little more ideal, but I have had no REAL problems yet. Like most people money is always tight so you cant do everything at once. 4lo works great 4hi is good too, however you will notice that it really takes a lot of gas to crawl (well accelerate) over boulders up hill :laugh: . If you stay in 4lo...you will be fine. Get the gears when you can afford it...

Just a thought,
mike

Ok, in my MJ I ran 3.55s with 35s for about two and a half months. I know that's not the same as 33s, but bear with me. After that, I had 4.88s for another month and a half. Then I was in a stock XJ for about 5 weeks. Now I'm in an XJ with 35s and 3.55s.

35s and 3.55s the first time around kinda sucked, and I knew it had been better stock, but it was ok. I wheeled it once in the snow and I didn't have a very good time. I was in 4L basically the whole time, even places I knew I could have done stock in 4H.

I got my 4.88s and was really happy. Again, one snow run, but it was great. That and the spool, and I was having a lot of fun. Even though, looking back, my 4.0L was pretty sick (and gave up that night).

Going from 4.88/35 to stock/stock, I didn't feel a very big difference.

Now I'm 3.55/35 again, and maybe because it's just a healthier engine, it doesn't feel too bad. I just keep it in 3 most of the time. Still, I know it's not doing good things for my drivetrain, and I'm looking forward to salvaging my 4.88s and being geared again.

So you can run big tires on stock gears - and in fact if you're thinking about it, I bet you will - but you will really like it when you regear. And you should regear about as soon as it becomes an option, even if you can't do both ends at the same time.

dellstopjeep said:
which xj axles came stock with 4.10's? and what years so i can start lookin for them.

4 banger with a stick have 4.10 gears
4 banger with an auto have 3.73
6 cyl auto has 3.55
6 cyl stick has crappy 3.07 gears

There is evidence that like the 4.0L, the 2.5L Jeeps had lower gears when equipped with an automatic transmission. While the 2.5L/manual Jeeps came with 4.10s, the 2.5L/automatic Jeeps came with 4.56...sometimes, at least.

Factory 4.56

XJeeper05 said:
Ok I was a bit harsh but I really get tired of people criticizing me when I post about having stock gearing with 33s. I got the tires and wheels I have now for 200 bucks. They were worth about 800. So I went ahead and jumped for it. I plan to regear but I cant fork 1200 over to get them done. I'd rather get two 4 banger axles to tie me over for a while. BUt also I just got a slammin deal on an RE hack and tap. I'm just trying to go along with what deals I get. Sorry for the hostility but no one drives my Jeep but me, and for now I'm happy with it. When I get reageared I'll probably say "damn I wish I had done that a lot sooner..." but unless I start trying illegal ways of getting money, Im going to stick with what I have.

No doubt dude, it sucks being strapped for cash and a 4x4 enthusiast! But you are right, when you do finally get geared down, you will say: "damn I wish I had done that a lot sooner..."
--- I definetly did. It's hard to imagine the difference until you get em.

BTW- I ran 33x12.50 Procomp Xterrains on 3.55 gears for 10 months, and I'm fine. But I was always paranoid I was going to hot-burn my tranny.

Back