• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

run ok without speed sensor

jonzer12

NAXJA Forum User
2000XJ AW4, I am wrapping up my doubler-D300 swap. I accidentally bought a short shaft D300 instead of the long shaft so I can't swap my 231 spedo into the D300. My rig is more or less trail only, any issues with just leaving the speedo harness off and giving up on the guage or will I suffer other issues as well? Rad designs shifter so not too worried if it will affect shifting.

Shouldn't affect the trans, you'll get a DTC for VSS signal missing. Engine may run a bit odd coming to a stop, but that's mostly a mantrans thing on decel with clutch in, so it may not be an issue for you.

Why can't you put the VSS in? Just nowhere to put the drive gear on the output shaft? Because IIRC the d300 I have, the stock takeoff works with a long-shaft speedo gear, you just have to use an early 90s VSS with a pullup resistor to convert it from 2 pin reed switch style to 3 pin Hall effect style. It threads right onto the stock speedo cable takeoff on d300s. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with d300s and you're speaking of a short output shaft with no worm gear for driving the speedo takeoff or something?

2000XJ AW4, I am wrapping up my doubler-D300 swap. I accidentally bought a short shaft D300 instead of the long shaft so I can't swap my 231 spedo into the D300. My rig is more or less trail only, any issues with just leaving the speedo harness off and giving up on the guage or will I suffer other issues as well? Rad designs shifter so not too worried if it will affect shifting.

My speedo drive gear in the transfer case broke on the highway with the cruise control set on 75 MPH 50 miles away from home. With the cruise set like I said, resulted in the speed increasing suddenly up to (I think) 5 MPH then down to 60 then it tried to go back up, before slowing the engine to idle and throwing a code. I continued my trip out for another 100 miles then 150 miles back home. There was no problem that I could remember except a loss of speed indication and cruise control. My XJ is a 1996 cross breed version. Other years may be different. :dunno:

ford 8.8 but that shouldn't matter. Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will just run it and see what kind of a problem it poses. As long as I know it will run ok I can deal with it when I have free time.

most 8.8s run a tone ring behind the ring gear, with a sensor in the differential housing.

its been said that you can actually tap into that with some modification, and use it as a speedo gear... but never having interest in an 8.8, I never investigated it further.

On manual XJs, when the speedo gear is disco'd(or bypassed to get past 117mph limiter), the engine will cut out/run rough sometimes when clutch in or at stops.

I have no cruise and the 8.8 does indeed have an abs sensor in the housing. I suppose rather than buying a vss for the 300 and adapting the output with a Dakota box I could just hook up the Dakota box up to the abs sensor instead. When I get around to this I will investigate. For now at least you guys make me think it run fine once I get some new driveshafts. Thanks again

In case someone is ever in the same boat you just buy a BWD S8025 speed sensor which screws right into the short output dana 300. Then wire as follows

Jeep ----- VSS
white ---> black
black ---> black white stripe
orange --- not used.

It works!

I believe that is the sensor I recommended actually. Not sure. I put a pullup resistor from the orange wire to the signal wire because I wasn't sure if the ECU had one built in or not and it wouldn't hurt.

There is also another one, which fits an 88-93 Dakota (not sure which engine) or early 90s YJ that has the same fitting, same electrical characteristics, and a 5/8-18 threaded output that can have a bushing threaded onto it (the one from a RENIX cruise control VSS works perfectly) to make it into a 7/8-18 threaded output to run a mechanical speedo, if you're putting, say, an EFI 4.0L that needs a VSS signal into a CJ/YJ or XJ/MJ that needs a mechanical speedo drive cable still.

what does the resister do? I just passed on the wire colors I found online, on my 2000 I had different color wires. I just ditched the power wire and wired the sensor in between the ground and signal wire and it worked.

It's just a pull-up, since the 3 wire is a Hall effect sensor with a totem-pole type output driver (AFAIK) and the 2 wire sensor is just an open/closed SPST reed switch. I wasn't sure if the ECU had a built in pull-up resistor so I added one from the 3 wire sensor's VCC pin to the signal return pin and it worked. Given that yours works and is a 00 that would definitely throw a code if it didn't see a VSS signal, I suspect it's not necessary.

what size resistor did you use?, turns out mine is not working, u just wire the resistor between the positive power and the signal wire?

Yep, that's all I did. I can't remember what size resistor I used, let me check my records real quick.

edit: it turns out I have no records of that. But let's just do some napkin math... assume the sensor runs on 5, 7, or 8 volts (can't remember which), and we don't want to pull more than like 10mA through the reed switch. So using Ohms law, 8V = 10mA * resistance, so minimum resistance is 800 ohms. I'd throw a 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistor in there and forget about it.

Last edited:
Yep, that's all I did. I can't remember what size resistor I used, let me check my records real quick.

edit: it turns out I have no records of that. But let's just do some napkin math... assume the sensor runs on 5, 7, or 8 volts (can't remember which), and we don't want to pull more than like 10mA through the reed switch. So using Ohms law, 8V = 10mA * resistance, so minimum resistance is 800 ohms. I'd throw a 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistor in there and forget about it.

I picked up a 330ohm 1 watt today but I guess I was way off. I will go back on Monday. Thanks so much for your time. This is way over my head so you are helping me out big time.

Back