• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE NP231

Sluder

NAXJA Forum User
Need help!!!

I bought a lift with SYE from IRO. The box says it's a Rugged Ridge kit. This photo shows the parts included. There's a round disc called a TONE RING W/OILING HOLES? I have no idea where it goes, how it goes, what it's for, etc.....

Did you read the destructions?

I also noticed many photos of a blue ring that looks like plastic and slides onto the shaft. I believe it's related to the speed sensor? Maybe I'm wrong but my NP231 New process doesn't have one or I missed it somehow?

Mine does have the small plug-in with wires on the housing that has a small wheel on the tip. It's yellow and looks like plastic. This photo shows a red one but about the same.

Should I have both? If not, why do I have one but others have the different one?

My box didn't have any, but I downloaded a copy online. They are vague and I don't want to assume I have it rifht. No photos anywhere that I've seen either.

I just found this video that at least shows me when. To put the tone ring on. Not sure what the purpose is or if I need to adjust it at all.

Watch "Rugged Ridge SYE & Driveshaft" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ogle8BuerU8

Still curious about why some shafts have the blue plastic slide on piece. Looks like it's called a speedometer gear? Is that because the stock shaft has metal splines but SYE doesn't and I need to buy one of these or what? I noticed some sye kits come with one but not rugged ridge.

The tone ring is for the SS speed sensor. The pick-up is on the new housing. There is no adjusting it. It's a magnetic pick-up. The above pic is the standard SYE kit.

I think Jbsjunk just hit on something. This picture is my actual gear. My original set up had the yellow gear on the sensor and the shaft had matching splines to mate with the yellow gear.

My Mega Short sye shaft has no splines. The kit came with a new sensor (shown) that has no gear and no way to attach one but instead just seems to be a sensor (I'm assuming a magnetic gadget that communicated with the tone ring somehow?).

Anyway, I'm hoping Im understanding correctly that I will nonlonger need the yellow gear or the blue ring because this new Mega Short sye and set up eliminates all that and replaces it with a magnetic set up?

Please tell me that's right. I work out of state all week and only have a few hours each weekend to work on the XJ so this is dragging out longer than I hoped. I'm was hoping to get the case back in today and measure for a new driveshaft = back on the road very soon.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

no no no no calm down and take a deep breath

the rugged ridge converts the speedometer sensor to a hall effect sensor. the stock speedo gear and sensor is NOT reused. put it back together per the instructions and carry on

Ok, I hope my actual gear will clarify things. Please tell me I'm ok.

The left side is my old stock setup. It has splines on the shaft that match the yellow wheel on the sensor.

The right side is my new Mega Short sye. The housing only allows the included sensor. I'm assuming this is a magnetic sensor and gets info from the tone ring (shown) somehow?

Ducks being new this all this. One day I hope I can help a newbie.

I'm assuming this is a magnetic sensor and gets info from the tone ring (shown) somehow?

it works like an ABS or crank position sensor, the magnetic sensor picks up the raised sections of the tone ring and the frequency that it picks them up is how it detects change in speed. it is commonly referred to as a "hall effect" sensor

it will work just fine it is meant to do away with the old mechanical/elec sensor, i install a few of these per month at work

Hopefully I've just dodged a big issue and have the right stuff. If so, that does generate another question. If the magnetic replaces the mechanical gear and with the mechanical I could change sensor wheels to compensate for larger tires, how is that done with a magnetic setup?

Hopefully I've just dodged a big issue and have the right stuff. If so, that does generate another question. If the magnetic replaces the mechanical gear and with the mechanical I could change sensor wheels to compensate for larger tires, how is that done with a magnetic setup?

you have to use a signal emulator to compensate for larger tires. dakota digital makes a module to change signal since the computer cant be flashed

Back