• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RuffStuff Specialties diff covers?

tupton said:
I know this is bringing this thread back from the dead, but I just wanted to give it a bump for those that don't know about these covers. I just ordered one for my 8.25 and can't wait!

hopefully dan ground down where the carrier bearing bolts are, otherwise, prepare to grinddddddddd

its not too bad, just sucks doing it when its 5 degrees out laying on the icy pavement.

tis worth it. that cover has saved ring gear quite a few times already.

Dan, you're making frame stiffeners for the XJ soon? :D

I have bashed my Ruffstuffs on rock hard with absolutely no issues, money well spent.

I would recommend "Lube Lockers" with them due to the fact they are so thick its hard to get them to stay sealed with gaskets and rtv. The lube lockers work great and are re-usable on the trail if you need to make a axle shaft repair/replacement.

xjtrailrider said:
I have bashed my Ruffstuffs on rock hard with absolutely no issues, money well spent.

I would recommend "Lube Lockers" with them due to the fact they are so thick its hard to get them to stay sealed with gaskets and rtv. The lube lockers work great and are re-usable on the trail if you need to make a axle shaft repair/replacement.

I like the lubelocker gaskets too. Nothing like not having to clean up RTV!

I bought the 8.25" cover with countersunk hardware. I love this beast. It is 13 lbs of steel and gives you a feeling of confidence knowing you can crush rocks with that thing if needed.

I tested my diff cover last week on the Rubicon Trail (wish I had a pic of the carnage). After the trail, I found at least three hard smacks on the cover itself from backing off rocks. No damage to the cover whatsoever, but I am sure the rocks felt some pain.

My only problem is all of my countersunk bolts loosened up throughout the day and broke the diff cover seal. I repeatedly tightened the bolts, but they came loose each time. I will use some form of lock tite on the bolts, hoping this will be enough to keep them from loosening up.

Dan's a great guy and easy to work with. Thanks again for the beey product, Dan.

Here's a pic before the trail:

2666735_28_full.jpg

Looks like you need to shave your chit!

I have a Ruffstuff cover on my rear 44 and have had no problems with it. Tough and cheap. Thats a pretty hard combo to beat.

What the heck would you use to shave the bottom of the diff like that? Is it safe to take much off?

I've got them on my XJ - D30 f, D44 rear, with the countersunk bolts, and using lube-lockers. They are great, but haven't hit them on anything yet. The only thing I didn't like was the craftsman allen socket for tighten down the countersunk bolts kept breaking. I finally picked some up from Home Depot, Menards, and Ace, and one of them made it through both covers with out breaking, but is twisted a bit.

I have shaved my 8.25 all the way up to the RuffStuff cover, you can knock off about 1/2" of material by getting rid of the lip. Trust me, you will not regret shaving it and you will slide over stuff much easier.

xj-boonie said:
I've got them on my XJ - D30 f, D44 rear, with the countersunk bolts, and using lube-lockers. They are great, but haven't hit them on anything yet. The only thing I didn't like was the craftsman allen socket for tighten down the countersunk bolts kept breaking. I finally picked some up from Home Depot, Menards, and Ace, and one of them made it through both covers with out breaking, but is twisted a bit.

We have never had a problem with bolts breaking? Just how tight are you tightening?

Dan Fredrickson said:
We have never had a problem with bolts breaking? Just how tight are you tightening?

Sorry, wasn't clear enough in my post - the bolts didn't break, the allen socket did, or at least the Crafstman brand one did. I was torquing them down per lube-locker's suggestion - somewhere around 30 ft-lbs I think.

I did mess up one bolts allen socket, but I think there were 4 extra so it wasn't a problem. :)

JNickel101 said:
What the heck would you use to shave the bottom of the diff like that? Is it safe to take much off?
Yep, chop it right off with an angle grinder and a cutting disc all the way up to where the cover sits :)

Yep, use the cover as a guide and start cutting. You don't have to worry about peeling the cover off with these beasts!

While your at it, raise your shock mounts.

trailrig38ii3.jpg

winkosmosis said:
Isn't the flange structural??

Well if it is I wouldn't want it hanging down smashing into every rock! The under side of my 8.25 has hit rock hard and is gouged from sliding over rock and backing into them with no issues.

As the old saying goes;

"Diffs are for draggin'!"

Back