• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon in June

Paul S said:
I've marked the calender, but it'll depend on work.
I'll probably tow, in which case I'll head in from Loon early Thursday & meet-up at the Springs.

Paul
hmm, that sounds like a good option as well, maybe I'll wheel in with you. like i said, there's still plenty of time to change plans several more times :laugh3:

I might be able to go depending if I finish the front Dana 44 in time.

-Avery

IF the weather keeps up like it is, therse still gonna be snow on the trail in june!! They acctually had chain control on over the summit half the day yesterday!

i'll be there weds. night sometime is there a place that i can park the truck and trailer and just sleep in it or is it a problem? also REMI you got mail:D

I have got it off work already. I am just workin my ass off to finish my junk, that would be the only thing that doesnt allow me to go.

You SoCal guys will be heading through fresno wont you? I would feel best caravaning with at least one other rig.

So we will be on the trail thursday, friday, and sat?

Matt

Scrappy said:
I have got it off work already. I am just workin my ass off to finish my junk, that would be the only thing that doesnt allow me to go.
well.. then what are you doing in front of a comp?? :D
You SoCal guys will be heading through fresno wont you? I would feel best caravaning with at least one other rig.
We'll be all coming up together, and I think we should be able to swing through Fresno.

So we will be on the trail thursday, friday, and sat?
Pretty much

Yeah, I'll be there for sure. Not sure about my MJ and ZJ buddies yet.

I'll be relaxing poolside in Vegas for the first part of the week. Then I'll drive from Vegas to Tahoe on Wednesday while the girlfriend flies home (what a great girl). Staying at the Stupor 8 Wednesday night, so I'll be totally rested by the time you guys show up on Thursday.

I was up there at that time last year,and ran into the TLCA Rubithon. They usually have about 200 rigs show up for it and it is an all week event. That is a lot of rigs and I'm not sure if they are going to be there but they go the week of fathers day each year. Just thought you guys should know and check before anything gets to set in stone.
Mark

Grzz701 said:
I was up there at that time last year,and ran into the TLCA Rubithon. They usually have about 200 rigs show up for it and it is an all week event. That is a lot of rigs and I'm not sure if they are going to be there but they go the week of fathers day each year. Just thought you guys should know and check before anything gets to set in stone.
Mark
We ran it while they were there last year as well and it wasn't bad. I think it was actually better then it normally would as other people chose not to go because it's going to be "crowded"

BrettM said:
the snow-pack needs to be a genuine concern. keep tabs on PBB for info there.
I'm at 3000 feet, and the snow is gone here, but i know monday it snowed above 5000 feet again. I havent been over the summit recently, so i dont know how much there still is up there. i know the beginning of april, there was still close to or more than 10 feet at the higher elevations. I can try to keep tabs on the snow, at least on the 80 side.

I'll try and meet up with you guys Friday night somewhere.

Snow is deep. Wife and I are going in on June 3rd, we'll see how far we get. The top of Cadillac, towards Tahoe, is always the worst, lots of shade on the trail up there. We'll report back.

CRASH

two weeks ago there was 8-10 feet at Loon and Loon was still frozen over. last weekend the trail got 6-12 inches of fresh.
Forest Service says
High elevation campgrounds (6,000 and above) and trails are not expected to melt out until late June or early July.

from a thread on PBB:
See I have been on the rubi for over 15 years....SO it will be a SAD day for us up here when it closes because all you guys DONT understand that 1: there will be too much snow up there. 2: The Rubicon is being looked over VERY Tight and going on it with snow and water mix is Fuel To the Fire for closing it. STAY OFF THE TRAILS WHILE SNOW WATER MIX IS PRESENT!

Well, as always, we'll play it by ear.

June 3 is 22 days of 80 degree weather away. That will help a whole bunch.

And of course, there's always Fordyce. Still need to find out about what USFS is doing about the hole the asshat dug with the stolen tractor.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Well, as always, we'll play it by ear.

June 3 is 22 days of 80 degree weather away. That will help a whole bunch.

And of course, there's always Fordyce. Still need to find out about what USFS is doing about the hole the asshat dug with the stolen tractor.

CRASH
If there is a lot of snow isn't the water crossing on the fordyce going to be somewhat deep?

Kejtar said:
If there is a lot of snow isn't the water crossing on the fordyce going to be somewhat deep?

Fordyce Creek is controlled solely by releases from Fordyce Lake, plus whatever sideflow exists. PGE knows what the sideflows are, and steps down Fordyce Lake releases accordingly. That said, crossings are generally shallower in the morning, before the sun has a chance to work on the snow.

The first crossing is generally the deepest, and it is at a much lower elevation than the rest of the trail. Three years ago, there was NO snow at the first crossing, and I rolled my Jeep trying to get to Meadow Lake, only 10 miles hence. The snow in the roll-over spot was like 6-7 feet deep.

Lesson: The Fordyce trail varies tremendously in snow load. No, I just wheel until I encounter soggy trail and snow patches and then turn around.

I don't think Fordyce is an option at all, at least running the trail all the way through. The hole is going to be repaired Memorial Day weekend by the 4dyce club. However Fordyce may have less snow at the beginning because it starts 800ft lower than the Rubicon, but the top of Fordyce (Meadow Lake) is 1000ft higher than any part of the Rubicon. Last year I went to Fordyce a week into June and it was easy sailing on the rocks, but I had to use the front ARB several times in mud on the lower part of the trail and many, many snowbanks on the road from Meadow to Hwy. 89. 35s aired down to 8psi and locked front and rear and I barely made it out. Everyone that's been up to the Rubicon in the last month has said that the snow pack is WAY more than last year at this time, and the highest in the last 10 years plus.

Back