• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express leaf bushings for Rusty's leafs?

Well I suppose all bushings for the same application will look the same. Now what is the best way to get whatever is left of the old bushings out? I figure maybe one of my large C clamps will be good to push the new ones in...not totally sure though!

i'm not sure what mine say on them, they are installed now.

i used a bench vice to install the bushings.
i liberally coated the bushing and the leaf with anti-sieze (i love that stuff). with some cranking, they went right in. i had them all in, in about 5min.

you could probably use a c-clamp. once you get the bushing about 90% in, you will need to figure something out to get it the rest of the way in.

when removing the old ones, dont use a torch. spring steel and heat, is not a good combo. other then, i'm not much help for the removal part. i have a feeling its gonna be a PITA tho.

Well I suppose all bushings for the same application will look the same. Now what is the best way to get whatever is left of the old bushings out? I figure maybe one of my large C clamps will be good to push the new ones in...not totally sure though!

Post back up when you start this. I might follow your lead ;)

I was just looking at mine tonight, they're bad. Not as bad as yours (none) but enough to cause my spring to sit funny.

Well I "do" have some bushing on the front and rear of the sleeves. Just not above or below the sleeve. It'll sit about an inch higher with the new bushings in. My estimation anyway.

Well I "do" have some bushing on the front and rear of the sleeves. Just not above or below the sleeve. It'll sit about an inch higher with the new bushings in. My estimation anyway.

LoL. Thanks for posting those pics. They cleared up another question I had about why there is so much space between the bushing and the hanger.

Not to bring up and old post, but I am going through the same issue right now. The factory size for the front eye is about 2 1/2" in diameter, I got the energy suspension bushing in my habd to prove that. and the rear is slightly larger also..

I've got a set of poly bushings that came in the Clayton's (Rock Krawler) leafs that I toasted in just over a year of wheeling, they pressed right in with c-clamp pressure into the YJ/XJ bastard pack I replaced my toasted springs with. The old ones in the pack were the standard metal sleeved factory ones, they took a bit of PB Blaster and a hammer/big socket to drive out of the spring eyes. That metal sleeve just seems like rust/stuck bushing waiting to happen.

I've never heard of different diameter bushings for XJ leaf eyes, that's weird. The overall width is slightly different depending on whether the bushings are shouldered or not, but there's plenty of room in the stock spring hanger and shackles can be slightly bent open/closed to account for this.

I've got a set of poly bushings that came in the Clayton's (Rock Krawler) leafs that I toasted in just over a year of wheeling, they pressed right in with c-clamp pressure into the YJ/XJ bastard pack I replaced my toasted springs with. The old ones in the pack were the standard metal sleeved factory ones, they took a bit of PB Blaster and a hammer/big socket to drive out of the spring eyes. That metal sleeve just seems like rust/stuck bushing waiting to happen.

I've never heard of different diameter bushings for XJ leaf eyes, that's weird. The overall width is slightly different depending on whether the bushings are shouldered or not, but there's plenty of room in the stock spring hanger and shackles can be slightly bent open/closed to account for this.

LOL I have no clue why Rustys and now it sounds like rubicon express changed the leaf eye size, but they did. I know where to get bushings, the rubber ones, but I am looking for a replacement set of poly's to fit these springs. I know someone else has run into this, and figured a way around it, but the question is who makes the poly bushing kit for these eye springs. LOL not to confuse you, but anyone who has run into this knows exactly what I am talking about. 1 year for any bushing no matter what you do with the vehicle is SUBSTANDARD QUALITY, the factory springs that came off were 10 years old at the time, and have plenty of GOOD bushing left in them?

I haven't swapped bushings yet but it appears (fromy my measurements, at least) that the RE bushings will work with the Rusty's leafs...

I have not found a place to get poly replacements, easily at least. I did however run into a place called Stengel brothers in Whitehall, PA. They are very reasonable for the bushings. the ones you need are RB-121 for the front eye, and RB-71 for the rear eye. I have been researching this for a week now, LOL trust me I have searched.. i paid 42 bucks shipped, including 6% tax...why pay 71, they are the same bushings...

Back